RC injector O-ring failure, looking for replacment? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

RC injector O-ring failure, looking for replacment?

While I was about to test fire my car for the first time since it was down (back in March) ... I noticed fuel spewing out of one of my RC 550 Injectors ... I suspected they might be problematic after several months of hardening (non-use). Pull the injector out and sure enough the O ring (top one) is now a C ring ... fortunately I found the broken halves (they didn't fall into the intake manifold).

Does anyone know if these O-rings can be purchased from Toyota or any auto parts store? Or is it going to be special order from RC only?

Thanks, Rob.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robains View Post
While I was about to test fire my car for the first time since it was down (back in March) ... I noticed fuel spewing out of one of my RC 550 Injectors ... I suspected they might be problematic after several months of hardening (non-use). Pull the injector out and sure enough the O ring (top one) is now a C ring ... fortunately I found the broken halves (they didn't fall into the intake manifold).

Does anyone know if these O-rings can be purchased from Toyota or any auto parts store? Or is it going to be special order from RC only?

Thanks, Rob.
iirc its a pretty standard ring. i had a o-ring go on my 1000cc RCs in my evo. just grabbed one off a friends work bench out of a random bag of oem rings so id imagine its the same deal here. never had a problem after that.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:13 AM

Lower or upper oring?

Lower can be purchased from Toyota.

Upper maybe sourced from local hardware stores.

How many miles do you have on the injectors. If they have been used for sometime consider sending them to rc for cleaning. They will replace orings, pintle caps and the internal filter. They also blueprint the injects before and after.

My stock ones with 40k were decent but one was 30 ccs under. They only replaced the filter as they were toyo injectors.

07 Exige S - PhB., TP, TP, LSD, Gotham, 2Bular Revised Header, 2Bular De-Cat, 2Bular 8x24 Burnt GT3, Cup Car Intake, 6k HID's, Schroth 4pt ASM Harnesses, Milled Steering Arms, Bronze Volk TE37, Carbon Craftsquare Mirrors, Reverie 5 Element Diffuser, Reverie Exige Race Front Spoiler, APR Canards, IMRP Side Skirts, Blackwatch Studs w/ Project Kics K40 Lugs, DBA 5000 Rotors, Goodridge lines, Sparco Wheel w/ Works Bell Quick Release.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 03:22 AM

chances are when you first time put the o-rings, its not properly seated...or got damaged. the fuel injection o-rings should last forever....well almost.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 06:09 AM
Inactive

Use anti-seize when installing injector o rings.

2005 Elise with Honda engine
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 AM

you can use OEM toyota Orings.. it works on top too..

Jay-05' ST, HT, Touring Red
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input folks. I found some O-rings from my local hardware store, but I have no idea how they'll last with fuel (my guess is not very long). Apparently NAPA Auto Parts (local source for me) carry a big selection of injector O-rings. I used some white grease (just a dab or two on the o-ring) to slide them into the rail ... VERY solid fit now.

Next year I plan to do a 2nd motor and will probably go with some 650cc injectors so this current setup just needs to hold me over for a few months.

The biggest problem I have with these current 550cc RC is the placement of the electrical connectors. If the injector connection head were about 7-10mm higher it would clear the valve cover and be much easier for install.

Rob

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 AM

They're cheap and available at Autozone for about 6 bucks for a set of 4. GP Sorensen# 800-9209
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 AM

That Sorensen part number is old and can't be used anymore. I was unable to find a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in