Rod knock, no metal in oil or oil pressure warning - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By pillowball
  • 1 Post By fzust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Rod knock, no metal in oil or oil pressure warning

Hi everyone. Hoping to get some input and insights from those smarter than me. The car is an 06 Exige (naturally aspirated) with 30k miles, mostly track days plus to-and-from transit. Has a baffled oil pan. A few months ago at Thunderhill, during the second lap of first session of the day, I felt something off with the car, not a lack of power but a change in sound maybe. Can’t really explain it better than that. I come in and it’s making an awful sound. I’ve never experienced any bottom end issues with any car, but it sounds like it’s coming from that area. No dash warning lights, but not sure if that matters. Tow it home and it’s sat since then until I finally drain the oil this weekend to get a sense of the damage. Turns out there’s no metal in the oil, which is confusing. I now plan to pull the oil filter (forgot to do that after being surprised by the lack of metal bits in the oil), inspect that and also send an oil sample to Blackstone. After that, I’ll drop the pan and even do a compression test.

In the meantime, anyone have any ideas as to what I’m experiencing? It sounded catastrophic but the lack of metal in the oil pan has me wondering what’s really going on here. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 04:34 PM

Lots of stories just like this where it was the clutch going bad, threw a spring, piece of the pressure plate came off, etc.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Kfennell, would that impact being able to get into gear? I ask because I was able to get off the track without gear change issues and then had to restart the car and reverse it for a few feet to get off the flatbed once I got home. Thanks!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillowball View Post
Kfennell, would that impact being able to get into gear? I ask because I was able to get off the track without gear change issues and then had to restart the car and reverse it for a few feet to get off the flatbed once I got home. Thanks!
Two of my many clutch failures the clutch still worked after the fact. One just barely, once it was completely fine.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, man, this is worth exploring if the Blackstone analysis comes back clear.

Any other suggestions from the community?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Thread resurrection! I sent an oil sample to Blackstone and they confirmed that there was no bearing material (or any worrisome levels of other metals) in the oil. So I'm going to explore the clutch failure theory further. Thanks, kfennel, and everyone else!
glagola1 likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:47 AM
Elise Guru

There is a VERY easy test to the rod knock. drain oil, pull oil pan and put your hands on each rod. If you wiggle them and they move radially, you have a spun rod bearing. Since the damage you will do if you run the car even for a little bit is so high, regardless take 30 minutes and do this check.
titaniumdave likes this.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:16 AM
He's on fire!

There's also an easy way to diagnose the sound you're hearing. Start up the car, let it make that sound, and then press the clutch in and out slowly, and see if the sound changes. if yes, you have a clutch problem.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
There's also an easy way to diagnose the sound you're hearing. Start up the car, let it make that sound, and then press the clutch in and out slowly, and see if the sound changes. if yes, you have a clutch problem.
I agree. I would still do the bearing test BEFORE starting the car again.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:04 PM
German Reimport

Like this? (go to 1:30)

If so, then it is the clutch

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Mr. C, that is indeed the noise, or something very similar. Thanks for sharing that clip, very helpful.

fzust, if the oil analysis came up clean, do you think there's still a chance that it could be a spun bearing? The Blackstone Labs rep was adamant that he wasn't finding any metal in the oil at levels that would concern him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in