Rotary powered Elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Rotary powered Elise?

I did some searching and didn't find much on the subject. I was wondering if anyone’s considered the idea. I know the Rotary engine out of the Mazda RX-7 and RX-8 isn't that big, has a low center of gravity and (especially in the RX-7 with a twin turbo) was not a bad engine. I realize that the engine compartment on the Elise is not even close to as big as the engine compartment on the other cars, especially where I’ve seen an RX-7 with a Corvette V8 stuffed in it. And also the fuel mileage isn't as good and that engine does burn some oil. But I was just wondering if anyone's considered or tried the idea of a rotary Elise.

If this has already been discussed please just point me in that direction. I did some searching but wasn't able to find anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 05:04 AM

You can do a search here and elsewhere on renesis. About 4-5 years ago there was all sorts of wild speculation here and elsewhere about the lump that would used in the new elise. Think the issues came down to weight of the engine, longitudinal fit in the engine bay, and the Elise needing a fwd gearbox.

Jeff
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:28 AM

The rotary engine may be small in dimension but it is quite heavy at 480 some odd pounds. There was an article in sport compact car where an rx7 was converted to an ls1 v8 and the v8 was only about 40 lbs heavier. Remeber the rotors are made of iron.

05 elise ardent red sport touring VF1 s/c, pro rad, arquay twin, etc etc etc
05 elise GG sport touring BWR s/c Charliex s/p dent in chassis=total loss
17 BMW 428i conv wifes car
03 GMC Yukon
90 eclipse gsx 420 whp sold
04 civic si sold
13 Ford focus ST

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 AM

yeah, what he said, plus theres an awful lot of other junk that goes with the rotary engine to keep it happy.

'06 ELISE now with hidden talent and dual cigarette lighter sockets!
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Buz

I do not know about the current Renesis motor but there were aluminum parts available for the 13B motor to reduce the weight significantly.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMMY1
yeah, what he said, plus theres an awful lot of other junk that goes with the rotary engine to keep it happy.
Like a really, really, really big radiator.

torque (tôrk) n. - an excuse for the lack of momentum.
- let's bring back CanAm & Group B!
- have you hugged your Exige today?
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 AM

A fully dressed Renesis sans airbox weighs 267.5lbs. Mazda recently unveiled a Mazda Premacy (5) with a duel-fuel renesis (hydrogen and petrol) and a transaxle. I think this would be a great motor for the Elise with very little in weight gain. The 2zz weighs 253lbs or so.

Granted, for less money, you could go forced induction and make more power and still have better fuel mileage. That is the problem with it.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Moderator Extraordinaire!

I am quite sure the engine would fit into the engine bay of the Elise. A rotary engine stripped of its ancillaries is only about the size of a 5 gallon pail (I had one of these from my old track car laying around my garage for years). The largest problem would be trying to mate it up to the Toyota transaxle in the Elise. The rotary was designed for a front engine/rear drive setup so a lot of conversion work would be required to get it to fit. Another problem would be fabricating all the mounts necessary to hold the engine in place. Another difficult thing with a rotary is trying to get rid of all the heat these engines produce. The temps at the exhaust ports can reach 1600 degrees F and will melt standard exhaust tubing. Competition headers for rotaries are usually made from 1/8" steel (heavy and hard to work with) and I even managed to melt a couple of these on my old Rx-7 (ever seen the 6 foot flames that shoot out the tail pipe of an Rx-7 on lifting off the throttle--great for backing off that guy on your tail at the track ). Just the heat build up in the engine bay would be difficult to deal with on the Elise and you need to have a much more robust cooling system as well as a much better oil cooler. The rotary engine is cooled mainly by its oil and the large oil coolers used on the rotaries are a proprietary Mazda design that is much more efficient than any normal cooler out there. Here is a tip for you track junkies that are running high oil temps--Put one of these Mazda oil coolers on your car with your standard engine and you will actually have to put in a thermostat because the oil will run too cold. The last problem I can see is that even though the rotary puts out a lot of HP for it's size, there is almost no torque. If you think the Toyota engine has no torque, you haven't driven a rotary. The lousy gas mileage doesn't help either. A typical day at the track returned about 7 mpg and on the street you were lucky to get over 18 mpg. I had to carry a lot of gas with me to the track to make it through a day. Overall (and I love the rotary engine) I can't see an advantage to converting an Elise to a rotary engine.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesprit
If you think the Toyota engine has no torque, you haven't driven a rotary. The lousy gas mileage doesn't help either. A typical day at the track returned about 7 mpg and on the street you were lucky to get over 18 mpg. I had to carry a lot of gas with me to the track to make it through a day. Overall (and I love the rotary engine) I can't see an advantage to converting an Elise to a rotary engine.
The toyota engine has 138 ft-lbs of torque. The Renesis has 162 ft-lb of torque. Maybe in an car as heavy as the RX-8, torque is a serious problem, but it should be fine for a lotus.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:20 AM

Problem is not the size, but the availability of a transaxle. No Mazda rotary engines are configures as FWD cars, so you'd have to make the Lotus a front-wheel-drive, rear engine car without some very serious engineering. Which is pretty pointless.

The wankel rotary engines are gutless (yes even the renesis), with very little torque. You might as well keep the 2ZZ. 24-ft-lbs is not that much more, and definitely not worth all the trouble for an engine swap, let alone the maintenance nightmares of rotary engines (apex seals and oil consumption).

'Greg
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

i guess that answers my question. While it could be done if you were really bored and wanted to try something differnt, its not worth all the effort that would be required to make it work.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 PM
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA

If you want high revs strait up to 9,000 rpm, build up the internals. If you want more power, look into a supercharger or turbocharger kit, or quite possibly a custom build. Those will be much cheaper and more practical and reliable than formulating brackets, placement, transmission, ECU, and cooling solutions for a new engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Maybe you should put a disclaimer in your sig saying that you don't have a Lotus nor have tried any of the products you are constantly posting about.
Old: 2003 Toyota Celica GT-S, 6 Speed Manual, Carbon Blue...RIP <=(
NEW: 2000 Toyota MR2-Spyder, 2ZZ-GE + 6 Speed Swap, Solar Yellow
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsRasta View Post
If you want high revs strait up to 9,000 rpm, build up the internals. If you want more power, look into a supercharger or turbocharger kit, or quite possibly a custom build. Those will be much cheaper and more practical and reliable than formulating brackets, placement, transmission, ECU, and cooling solutions for a new engine.
Yeah right , but a rotary engine is a rotary engine and no other engine is that sweet to drive...The sound is amazing, it is a pure engine for any sport car. I cant agree when you said it is heavy weight. I removed mine twice and if I would be a little stronger and taller I could have moved the engine myself once it was out of the car. The problem is the fuel economy and I think that it is a lot lot more reliable now with the new renesis engine from the RX-8 than it was on my 3rd gen... Anyway, in the best world. it would be really cool to see a Lotus elise or exige go like hell with a rotary sound and why not with a turbo an a nice BOV sounds. hahahaha I can imagine what it would look like! BBRRRRAAAPPPPPPPPP !! TTTSSSSSSHHHHH!!!

07 Exige S300+,Solar Yellow,Touring Pack, Torque300 tune,RLS Intercooler,Pro Alloy IC tubes,Lotus Stage3 Exhaust,Intake BOE ITG cold airbox,RLS MKII 3.0 Pulley,SaikouMichi Oil catch can,NGK BKR7-EIX Plugs,EV14 525cc injectors,CarbonFiber side scoops+front lip+rear spoiler, Nitron SS Shocks, PC680 Battery,JVC KDNX5000,CompactSub Kenwood KSC-SW1,Tinted windows, Lotus Sport windshield+front plate decals,HID Kit 6000K,Parking Light,license Leds.
2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
2016 Subaru WRX STI Blue
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 02:42 PM
DPM

If you are serious, then build a triple rotor, add a T35 turbo, and you got an honest 700-800 HP monster with only 3 moving parts at 9250 RPM! Either Pineapple Racing or A-Spec Tuning can do it. Definitely going to be a challenge fitting a transaxle in their but if anyone can do it, it would be either of those two shops.

2006 Diasio D962R Arancio Borealis
2010 Subaru 2010 WRX-STI SE (Blue) SOLD
2009 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple (White / Orange)
SOLD: 05 Elise, Benetec Carbon Fiber full body & rear wing, FF 275 turbo kit ,
1992 GMC Typhoon (Dark Green), 1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee 25th Anniversary LE
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 PM

the honda K20 with a little boost is a much better engine and most of the work has been done. Find an old datsun 510 or 240 and put a big rotory in it.

2005 Elise, Saffron Yellow, Touring, Sport, Black wheels, Hard top, dual oil coolers, focal front speakers
1998 BMW 318ti, 77k miles. M sport package, 5 speed. Dependable daily driver since 97
1996 Colnago Technos, Dura-Ace, Zipp, spinergy, Specialized, Mavic.
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 03:02 PM

Rotary sound is truly unmatched, imo.

Im a huge fan of rotary engines.

http://www.hurleyrotary.com/
Quad rotor.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Au7F2ttEXWU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Au7F2ttEXWU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

My line is never wrong, it just doesn't always correspond with the asphalt.

Above the clouds, the sun is always shining.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 03:37 PM

There are some rotary powered 914s running around. I seem to recall one with a 10,000+ red line. Now that would be very interesting...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rotary+powered+914

Frank Amoroso
Fun with cars
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 PM

I raced 2 different Mazda's (SCCA). Never missed the lack of torque. Most of the time the RPM's were between 6-9200 rpm. The rotors were pinned, the gears hardened, special seals, full bridge-port, etc. That's the lump-lump (bridge-port) you hear in the drag car above. Love it!

GAS HOGS...but a lot of fun watching people block their ears as you cracked it in the pits. The engine was one of the most reliable and bullet-proof engines I have ever run.

It seemed like the more gas we could throw at them, the more power they made. I'd love to have a turboed 13B in an Atom-type of car. It's all about the noise and rpms...loved to hear it scream.
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 AM
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Amoroso View Post
There are some rotary powered 914s running around. I seem to recall one with a 10,000+ red line. Now that would be very interesting...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rotary+powered+914
Strap on head mods to a 2zz, and you can safely rev to 10,000 rpm's too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Maybe you should put a disclaimer in your sig saying that you don't have a Lotus nor have tried any of the products you are constantly posting about.
Old: 2003 Toyota Celica GT-S, 6 Speed Manual, Carbon Blue...RIP <=(
NEW: 2000 Toyota MR2-Spyder, 2ZZ-GE + 6 Speed Swap, Solar Yellow
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:37 AM

^^^ Supposedly, but i doubt it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in