Some Limited Slip and Traction Control information from Lotus - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Some Limited Slip and Traction Control information from Lotus

Limited Slip Differential A120F626F

LTC = Lotus Traction Control

LTC Switch A120M0031F

LTC Switch Harness A121M0036S

Exchange ECM (ECU) A121E0012K

Factory Service Bulletin is 2005/15A

Reflash with software programme for LTC A121E0011H

6TVRs+ likes this.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 10:46 AM

Randy,

What does the service bulletin have for the labor hours to do all that?

'05 Storm Titanium / Red
post #3 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
It does not list any labor.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)

post #4 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 12:26 PM

Did they release installed prices as well?
post #5 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 04:44 PM

Thanks, Randy!

I spoke with Lotus this week and was told to hang on for a few weeks for the official TSB release. The big question that went unanswered was if Lotus would separate the bundle, sell the T/C harness, switch and ECU reflash from LSD unit. I am hoping they do sell the T/C portion as it would relieve us from paying a Lotus premium on the LSD and it's install.

Gary M
Gilbert, AZ
post #6 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 07:16 PM

So the dealers don't have this TSB yet? If they expect to send it to the dealers in a few weeks, and then we add the standard Lotus delays, it sounds like this is still quite some time out. Then it will probably take more time to actually receive the parts. I wonder if we will be able to get the LSD installed before the next season starts.

Reto

2005 Lotus Elise (yellow, sport pack), #94 SS
2005 Nissan Xterra (LSV)
post #7 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 07:35 PM

It's probably not news but a bunch of the Elises HRM has in stock did have the LSD installed (on the window sticker) -- 05's... but I didn't see any mention of TC and I didn't look for the button on the center console but I assume it's there...

I suppose somebody could call Dave or Mark and ask if those were factory or, if aftermarket or port installed, the cost, not just the sticker cost -- but labor too.

Cheers.
post #8 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeFusion
So the dealers don't have this TSB yet?
According to the person I talked with, the dealer network has not recieved any info on the T/C + LSD retrofit as of yet (middle of the past week). They were pushing to complete the TSB and as soon as it's finished, the info will be sent out.

As a note, it was looking like the ECU will have to be sent in to Lotus USA to have the reflash taken care of and this may be handled on an exchange basis. In other words, the dealers won't be performing the T/C reflash. These were some of the details yet to be determined.

Gary M
Gilbert, AZ

Last edited by milcher; 10-29-2005 at 10:27 PM.
post #9 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 12:34 AM

Have to ask,

What the hell do you want traction control and an LSD for?

this is an Elise, not a ZR-1 or the like!

if you are spinning one rear wheel, then sort out the suspension so that it does not un-load the rears ahead of the front (the reason the wheel is spinning in the first place). Adding an LSD is only going to bugger up the balance of the car in these situations and make it far more likely that the car will spin out.

as for traction control, that's what your right foot is for, and with only 189Bhp, it's hardly a big issue.

save your money and work on the important stuff.
post #10 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:57 AM

We want LSD for autoxing. Yes, we need it.

This new info follows what I was told at the end of September-8 more weeks. I hope around Thanksgiving I can turn my car over for the LSD/TC work.

HRM has 05s (late batch) that had LSD/TC ordered on them. This is a good thing! It proves that the combo was indeed an option in the 2005 model year. Mark has not done a retrofit yet, or at least not the last time I spoke with him. He was going to email me as soon as he could put it in. I've received no email.

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #11 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 06:30 AM

"as for traction control, that's what your right foot is for, and with only 189Bhp, it's hardly a big issue."

I want traction control for my turboed elise. Do you guys think it will work on my car with the reflash and everything?
post #12 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjer
We want LSD for autoxing. Yes, we need it.
come on then, explain this in DETAIL.

I race an Elise, with up to 300Bhp, I do NOT run an LSD (actually took it out of the box), if you spinning up one wheel, then it's becuse you are un-loading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith86a
I want traction control for my turboed elise.
as above, what is your right foot for?
post #13 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:05 AM

Garage
Simon, have you ever autocrossed? I know its called something different in the UK, maybe autotesting? I think autotesting is similiar, but still not quite the same as autocross.....

Anyway, my point being autocross needs and roadrace/track needs are quite different.

post #14 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFastLotus
Simon, have you ever autocrossed? I know its called something different in the UK, maybe autotesting? I think autotesting is similiar, but still not quite the same as autocross.....

Anyway, my point being autocross needs and roadrace/track needs are quite different.
I know what they are, still fail to understand why you think you need an LSD?

FYI I used to do Sprints etc here,(still hold some course records), still don't need an LSD
post #15 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:31 AM

Coming out of low speed corners on sticky tires, a lot of autocrossers are getting inside rear wheel spin when trying to put the power down. So far the LSD has allowed them to get that power down and launch better out of the turns. It really helped so far, from what Randy has been saying. He hasn't found any big side-effects. The traction control is prevent you from spinning both rear wheels which is probably more difficult to control that spinning just the inside wheel. But at least you can switch it off.

Conventional wisdom may tell you that an LSD is actually worse for track driving, so we'll see how it performs on the track. So far I have only heard autox reports.

- J

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #16 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon S
I know what they are, still fail to understand why you think you need an LSD?

FYI I used to do Sprints etc here,(still hold some course records), still don't need an LSD
Good for you Simon - we don't need to convince you why we'd want it. Maybe you aren't using all of your power exiting low speed corners. I've certainly noticed the back end not hooking up on exit and have had one wheel spinning and the other along for the ride - that's with the stock fed elise motor.

2005 elise - yellow, sport/hard top, quicksilver, k&n, ssr, blackwatch sway bar, black stripes
1999 yellow yamaha R1 (no longer daily driver)
1999 volvo v70xc (kid hauler)
1967 vw bus, walkthrough: 1966 vw bus : 1963 vw double cab
daily driver --> Bianchi Pista
post #17 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:05 AM

Look,

are you reading and taking in what I am trying to get though to you?

if you are spinning up the inside wheel, it;'s because the suspension is un-loading that wheel.

yes, an agressive LSD (NOT torsen) may well be able to stop this, but what you will end up doing in over-taxing the only wheel on the ground, thus it will break away and the car will spin.

the intelegent way to stop this happening is to get the suspension set so that it does not unload the rear wheels in tight corners, this is EXACTLY the same for a cct car at hairpin corners etc.

the Elise is std trim is quite bad for this, you need to stop the car rolling and make sure it unloads the inside front wheel BEFORE the rear.

for example:

post #18 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Look,

are you reading and taking in what I am trying to get though to you?

if you are spinning up the inside wheel, it;'s because the suspension is un-loading that wheel.
Well, I know Randy and other have been after much tuning unable to eliminate the problem through suspension adjustments. The real issue that I think you've missed is that the autocrossers are very limited in what changes they can make and still stay in a class where the Elise is competative. They need to be very close to stock.
6TVRs+ likes this.
post #19 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Have to ask,

What the hell do you want traction control and an LSD for?

this is an Elise, not a ZR-1 or the like!

if you are spinning one rear wheel, then sort out the suspension so that it does not un-load the rears ahead of the front (the reason the wheel is spinning in the first place). Adding an LSD is only going to bugger up the balance of the car in these situations and make it far more likely that the car will spin out.

as for traction control, that's what your right foot is for, and with only 189Bhp, it's hardly a big issue.

save your money and work on the important stuff.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #20 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck
Well, I know Randy and other have been after much tuning unable to eliminate the problem through suspension adjustments. The real issue that I think you've missed is that the autocrossers are very limited in what changes they can make and still stay in a class where the Elise is competative. They need to be very close to stock.
so, you regs alow an after-market LSD but not a spring change?

ever heard of drop straps?

Anti-roll bars?

etc etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in