Some Limited Slip and Traction Control information from Lotus - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Evl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase
You drill a hole using the directions and one large-ass drill through the firewall behind the LCH. Insert the new harness with its grommet (pre-assembled) into the hole.
Randy (anyone else who has done this), whcat did you use for the LAD (large ass drill)? There isn't a lot of room. The drill size they call for as about 1-1/4, so I'm assuming that you need some sort of hole saw, but there isn't a lot of clearance. Did you use a right angle drill and some sort of stubby bit? Coming from the opposite side they suggest doesn't look good either.

Thanks for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Evl

Oh, you put the hole behind the LCH? The instructions seem to suggest putting it over behind the roll bar, under the air cleaner box.
post #103 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 01:00 PM

Thought you were letting that one go, Chris. Are you gearing up for next season's Philly SS challenge?

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car

post #104 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Evl

Heh, just trying to keep up w/ the Joneses.
post #105 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 04:22 PM

In two weeks let's see if we can team up and upset the pax challenge.

Next year we can resume our own battle!

Jer
2006 Elise
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #106 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Evl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase
Insert two connector pins from the harness into the ECU connector.
OK, this seems easier said than done. How do you push them in? Which way does the little tang on the pin face?
post #107 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 04:38 PM

Back to Simon

Have been reading early posts and apparently Simon gave up on you guys. One thing no one mentioned is the improved traction off the line LSD should provide. I'm a real AX beginner, but I had to feather the throttle off the line at one particularly 'greasy' venue and undoubtedly lost considerable time to the Z06 with LSD. I also would really like to be able to install LSD without TC. Does the TC have to be turned off each time you start the car? Are there any 'actions' that automatically re-activate TC when switched off? I assume having a non-Lotus mechanic install an LSD purchased from Toyota is still stock class legal?
post #108 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 05:46 PM
rnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Moore
1)Does the TC have to be turned off each time you start the car?
2)Are there any 'actions' that automatically re-activate TC when switched off?
1) Yes
2) It onyl reactivates if you press the button which is actually quite possible since the TC button is at the exact level on you knee

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #109 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 07:43 PM

For those people interested in stand-alone ECUs, aftermarket electronic traction control is a viable solution. There has been lots of TC work in Grand AM, ALMS and AMA Motorcycles, and the systems are at a point now where they are very well developed. The cost may be prohibitive for many - count on about $6500 for an ECU, new dash and wiring harness. But for something like a high-horsepower turbo car, it is viable and effective.

Neel Vasavada
Apex Speed Technology
23 18th Ave
Venice, CA 90291
(310)314-2005
www.apexspeedtech.com
post #110 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:42 AM

Less,

It is stock class legal to have anyone you want install the Toyota LSD. It is not stock class legal, however, to have the LSD but no TC installed. Yes, it's a PITA; the button must be held for like 4 seconds to deactivate everytime you start the car, but the slightest brush by your knee will re-activate it. Some people address this by finding a seat adjustment that keeps their knee out of range of the button, others (like me) use a clear plastic bottle cap taped over the button with clear tape, so you can visually verify the light is on, indicating the TC is disabled.

-Russ

2005 LRG Elise Sport Pack
LSD/TC retrofit
Ohlins
BWR bar
post #111 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 AM

Russ speaks the truth! Pat Salerno and Dave Newman both struggled with tripping the TC back on in my car, and we did use a bottle cap for a while. I do not seem to trip it in my position, YMMV.

Jer
2006 Elise
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #112 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 06:24 AM
Evl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evl
OK, this seems easier said than done. How do you push them in? Which way does the little tang on the pin face?
For those following along, the tangs face the space between the two rows you need to insert the pins into. I wasn't able to push them in by hand. I found a little tool that isa c-shaped pushing device. You stick the wire inside the c, and you can use it to push on the pin.
post #113 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 08:16 PM

TC disconnect legal?

Would it be legal, and if not, is it likely anyone would know, if the traction control was 'installed' but a wire left off? Or could something as simple as a toggle switch under the access panel opposite the master cylinder panel to cut the power to it. Or would that disable the LSD?
post #114 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Evl

I don't think a disconnect would be legal in stock. I've heard it argued that a blown fuse isn't even a legal way of disabling ABS. Just use the supplied button and put a bottle cap over it.
post #115 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:30 PM

I would like to revisit this... has anyone done this recently? Or remember the work involved?
post #116 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 12:54 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TVRs+ View Post
I would like to revisit this... has anyone done this recently? Or remember the work involved?
Done what? The original post (14 years ago) contained information. You should probably ask specific questions, or better yet, start a new thread.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #117 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Done what? The original post (14 years ago) contained information. You should probably ask specific questions, or better yet, start a new thread.

San
My apologies. I thought it was better to recycle a thread to juice up some memories as opposed to starting a new thread.
I was trying to see if anyone had added a LSD to their Elise RECENTLY. (The legal for SCCA stock class way) Is the kit for TC still available, still able to reflash the ECU, will a Lotus dealership still do the work?

I was asking as I have another 10 year old car that it seems half the stuff done early on in the production became either passe' or no longer had parts available, etc.
post #118 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:05 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TVRs+ View Post
My apologies. I thought it was better to recycle a thread to juice up some memories as opposed to starting a new thread.
I was trying to see if anyone had added a LSD to their Elise RECENTLY. (The legal for SCCA stock class way) Is the kit for TC still available, still able to reflash the ECU, will a Lotus dealership still do the work?

I was asking as I have another 10 year old car that it seems half the stuff done early on in the production became either passe' or no longer had parts available, etc.
This thread discussed LSD and traction control, which are different systems entirely, and why your general question didn't really specify what you were after. You can have an open differential (there will be an "O" on the transmission label visible from above), an LSD (there will be an "L" on the same transmission label), traction control or not. An LSD supplied by Toyota is mechanical in nature. Traction control electronically cuts power upon slippage detected. Some model years have adjustable traction control.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in