another case study on this problem:
- i did my own hack-fix similar to what was outlined above (and was quite proud of my clumsy artistry), but in the end it was little different in details and execution - essentially, not as sturdy. it worked initially, but only for two years (it stopped working just before i was due for another smog test, which i then couldn't pass due to high idle code)
- i tried tightening the screw i used as a set screw, which then ended being too much and led to throttle valve not returning and engine speed running away and me having to shut off the engine via the key before the engine over-revs - scarry stuff. - enough to make me give up the hacking and reach for new parts.
- lotus charges like something $2500 for the throttle body - which is crazy - isn't that like half the cost of an engine? i found a toyota dealer that sells the new throttle body for about $550 - https://www.oempartworld.com
but again, this is just temporary, probably for another 30-40,000 miles, which is how long it took for the problem to appear the first time.
- i was all really happy about that, until i installed it and found that the throttle cable suddenly doesn't reach long enough to be hooked up on the quadrant of the new body, even after all available adjustments are maxed out. i was thinking of all kinds of crazy and involved ideas for fixing that, having to do with the cable, but finally realized that the quandrant on the toyota throttle body is different than the quadrant on the original lotus throttle body. then i decided to use the old quadrant with the new body, and that worked. more details and some pictures here:
but then again, this is just temporary, probably for another 30-40,000 miles that it took for the problem to appear the first time. at least in terms of time that is like 10 years for me.