Toyota 2ZZ-GE: Heavy Blow by - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Toyota 2ZZ-GE: Heavy blow by

Hi everyone !

Sadly, I don't own a Lotus (yet!) but still have the same engine/transmission as an S2 Elise in my car

Not a lot of people in Toyota community take theirs Toyota's to the track so that's why I'm asking here. (If for whatever reason my post is non-related non-approved or whatever admin or mods pm me !)

I currently own a 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS, which have the 2ZZ-GE and the 6 speed C60 transmission from factory. It's slowly progressing to a road racing ready car.

DSC_0228RR by Jean-Sébastien Girouard, on Flickr

So my problem is: The 2ZZ is suffering from heavy blow by, rings seem to be shots but weirdly compression test and leak test are good. Plus, results on the dyno confirm me that this engine still have some heart...

Mods list (engine only):
- DC Sport short ram
- StreetWrerks ported intake manifold & 69MM throttle body
- Hondata intake manifold gasket
- PPE headers
- PPE midpipe
- ECU reflashed (Lift @ 5800RPM, cutoff @ 8500RPM)

Condition: First when I bought the car, I've noticed that the dip stick popped a bit when I drive it for a while over 6000RPM. If I drive "normally" the dip stick stay right were it should. I made all the mods, made a track day and noticed that the dip stick popped each track session. I've installed a catch can vented to atmosphere, did an other track day and well... got a oil mess (yay free anti-rust protection) all over my engine bay plus the dip stick was still popping. I can collect about 125ML of oil on each session (15 min). Oh and I did replaced the dip stick O ring.

Did some tests on the engine, I've check the compression/cylinder leakage and the results were not bad. 180PSI on all 4 pistons and less then 5% of cylinder leakage. From those tests, engine is still good. Did other track days, each time my dip stick popped and my vented atmosphere catch can spilled oil everywhere no maters where I put the output tube

While the engine is still running, I give it a go on the dyno and even if the tune need a major workover I've managed to get 181 WHP on a Mustang dyno. A stock XRS is about 155WHP on this exact dyno. (dyno sheet is attached)

Did an other track day yesterday and the engine is still pulling great, I did even beat my personal best time !

I'm pretty sure the rings are shots, in regular driving they still do the job but when heating up, the let compression escape in the oil pan.

Just wondering if someone experienced the same problem !

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by trueno86power; 10-09-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

The car is now in winter storage and the engine is still running great after this season !

Like I told earlier, is most likely that the rings are shots. They work OK in normal condition, they open up in extended high temp/high revolution situation.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 12:21 PM

Check your PCV valve. It may be blocked or not functioning properly. A new one or a set of catch cans might solve your oil consumption problem.

O6 Elise Full Lotus Sport Ohlins Suspension Upgrade, VF Stage 2

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 01:37 PM

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy05 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9K7pSJ9LEc

Just watched this... Looks like a fun car!
It is ! I actually have 2 XRS, one for daily drive that is 100% stock and the silver one for track days.

Currently I got a catch can installed on the breather tube and the PCV is rooted like OEM. The PCV work fine, I've cleaned it but it was already in good shape. Didn't track test this system but anyway I'm pretty sure the rings are shots, I'll use this engine as long as I can. I already got a low millage 2ZZ waiting

Like I've written I've used to have a full open catch can system but the engine produce too much oil vapor that It spilled oil everywhere lol.

Here a quick inboard video inside the race Corolla!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in