I have come across some shavings in engine oil (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/...-advice-74504/
). I want to remove the valve cover to check if there is any unusual camshaft wear.
I am planning on following the instructions in the Celica engine repair manual (RM744U2) – the scans of relevant pages were already posted above in Post 9. I have the following 11 questions I hope could get addressed here. Some of them are kind of pedantic, but resolving things like that gives me more confidence.
On Post 7 above, it is suggested in a diagram that Parts 4 be replaced. I did not see that suggested in the manual I have.
1. What are those for – ignition coils?
2. Do those really need to be replaced? If so, does it say that anywhere in the Celica engine repair manual?
In the diagram on page EM-17, there is only one bolt shown on the No. 2 Cylinder Head Cover. There are 6 bolts shown on the (No. 1) Cylinder head Cover.
3. Then In Step 9a, which 4 bolts in the picture is the manual referring to? I was expecting the manual in this step to be referring to only 1 bolt on the No 2. Cover, or maybe all 7 on both covers.
4. In Step 9c, are the hoses removed simply by pulling on them or are there any tools expected to be involved?
Step 9f talks about 9 bolts but the diagram on page EM-17 shows only 6 and the diagram immediately left of the step shows 10.
5. So how many bolts is it and where are they pictured?
Step 9g is about the O-ring.
6. Where is this O-ring in the cover? Just below the oil-filler neck?
The diagram on page EM-17 only indicates with symbols that the O-ring and the ventilation pipe gasket need to be replaced. This would mean, as discussed earlier, that replacing the main gasket also (the one pictured below the Cylinder Head Cover on EM-17) is not needed.
7. Are we confident that replacing the main gasket is not needed? Is there cases when it is? Can inspecting it tell?
On page EM-34 (not shown earlier, attached now below), about replacing the timing chain which also involves the valve cover, in Step 18a, it says “when FIPG on the gasket can not be eliminated completely, replace the gasket.”
8. What is FIPG?
9. Is this potential need to replace the main gasket applicable in our case (of wanting to remove the valve cover to take a look and then put it back)?
I know a good source to get Honda parts (Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store
), which is basically a Honda dealer in RI that offers nice prices over the web (about a 1/4 or 1/3 off).
10. Is there a similar place to get new Toyota parts (at least some discount off the list price)?
11. Where can I get the part numbers for some of those non-reusable seals, like the O-ring and the ventilation pipe gasket? I could show the picture from the manual to the dealer, but is there a better way (more direct way, like web or a manual)?
Answers are appreciated. I hope this can also help others too.