? What torque for the valve cover ? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masheen View Post
most importantly, where does that o-ring go? - not shown in the pictures.
It goes on the feed tube for the cam oil shower pipes. It's the thing that sticks down from the valve cover on the drivers side (this is why you pull straight up on that side when removing the cover).

The four larger gaskets are the spark plug tube oil seals. They can be reused, though I would consider them a normal service item and replace them periodically, else they'll leak and you'll end up with plug tubes full of oil, and water contamination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:14 PM

i took the valve cover off today to take a peak.

yeah, the o-ring goes as described in post 21. it's half way down the feed pipe. it's a little tricky to get off - used a screw-driver to pry it out. when putting on the new one, i had to stretch it a bit to get it over the tube and into its place and i was worried i would damage it. using fingers to stretch it out so it goes over seems to work best.

those part numbers i quoted in post 20 are correct - i got those parts and they are the ones to be replaced.

this wasn't so bad - even for me - about 2 hours to take the cover off, take careful pictures of the camshafts, and put it back on. all while reading instructions and being kind of slow.

here are some suggestions that i think could help and are not in any manual instructions:

- the manual says to completely remove the ventilation pipe, which includes taking the 2 nuts on the top of the pipe where it attaches to the valve cover and one bolt at the bottom of the pipe. i did not find completely removing the pipe necessary for just removing the valve cover, so i suggest only removing the two nuts at the top - this was enough for me to wiggle out the valve cover later. i was inspired to try this shortcut because i could not imagine at all how one could get to that bottom bolt when working through the trunk - i could not even see it. maybe it is possible from the bottom of the car, but even that way i imagine it is hard to get to.

- the manual says to disconnect the ignition harnesses from the coils. i tried and it was difficult to do. then i tried getting the coils out with the connectors still on - and then just putting all of it to the side to free up space to get the valve cover off - and that worked. so there is another shortcut for you.

- each of the two hoses to be removed just requires loosening its clamp by squeezing on the clamp clips with pliers while at the same time puling away from the valve cover. it did not take much force.

those are the most helpful discoveries i can think of. maybe they are obvious, but they would have been helpful for someone like me. i may post more details or pictures later.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 10:55 AM

Garage
I wish someone had given detailed answers to Masheen's post #17... particularly with respect to FPIG/Sealant

My guess is FPIG is just a regular sort of gasket sealant compound? (the cured form of what is referred to as seal packing elsewhere?) Is there a specific auto-parts store equivalent to 08826-00080 that folks like to use?

The illustration in the manual says "2 location shown" but it's not at all clear what the second location is?

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

http://www.the111shift.com/p/the-build.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/the111shift

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 04:37 AM

Resurrecting an old post as it already has the most complete information.

Question 1: Is there locating bolt for the breather tube that we should loosen, if so where? Mine takes more force to clear than the instructions make me expect.

Question 2: How does one remove and replace the plug tube seals? I've tried a small amount of force in a couple ways, but much more seems likely to damage the aluminum or tear the rubber. What's the trick?

2005 Lotus Elise, de-Hass'd. RLS mini-mirror, MWR Lift Point Kit, Homebuilt cup holder, Radium Clam-Kit, Sector DSbrace, and gPan, generic Deka ETX20L, hard engine mounts to stop the exhaust from breaking again. Adding Lightness by dieting, and reducing lap-times by adding seat-time.
2018 VW GTI, 6MT, White over plaid
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 AM

For those with the same questions:

The breather pipe studs will come out with a torx socket, and the valve cover will easily come off without force.
The seals pry out with a bit more force than expected.

2005 Lotus Elise, de-Hass'd. RLS mini-mirror, MWR Lift Point Kit, Homebuilt cup holder, Radium Clam-Kit, Sector DSbrace, and gPan, generic Deka ETX20L, hard engine mounts to stop the exhaust from breaking again. Adding Lightness by dieting, and reducing lap-times by adding seat-time.
2018 VW GTI, 6MT, White over plaid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in