Where are the best locations for the pressure sensor and for the temp sensor? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Question Where are the best locations for the pressure sensor and for the temp sensor?

Okay boys and girls, I want to mount an Oil Pressure sender and an oil temp sensor. I have the moroso oil pan and a turbo. Can I hook an oil pressure up to my turbo oil feed line with a T? I assume I wouldn't want the oil temp there because of the heat of the turbo.

So, where are the best locations for the pressure sensor and for the temp sensor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 07:24 PM

For pressure just "T" where the stock sending unit is. As for the temp I will have to look at the oil system (can't remember offhand) for a location.

2006 Time Magazine Person of the year
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have the specs on the stock oil pressure sending unit? Is it mechanical, or is it electrical? If it has an output between 0-5V, I could use that voltage for my gauge rather than add a second sending unit.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
Scotty, I have installed/am installing an oil pressure and temperature sensors and gauge.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...t=13655&page=2

Oil temp is coming off a sandwich plate from the oil filter.

Oil pressure if coming off the Moroso oil pan bung.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:15 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase
Scotty, I have installed/am installing an oil pressure and temperature sensors and gauge.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...t=13655&page=2

Oil temp is coming off a sandwich plate from the oil filter.

Oil pressure if coming off the Moroso oil pan bung.
Randy i'm sure it was a typo but you may want to reverse you sensors.
Don.

'' I always tell my students to follow their bliss- where
the deep sense of being is from, and where your body and soul want to go''. Joseph Campell
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
Easy to follow the crowd Don. It takes balls to go down the unconventional path.

(yeah, I never proofread anything)

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Don in your opinion, are an Oil Temp & Oil Pressure gauges necessary on a Boosted Elise? We do have the Oil Pressure idiot light on the gauge cluster, and if the Oil temp goes high, then the Oil coolers will kick in.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
The idiot lights do not tell you if the oil is warm enough to push the engine, nor does the coolant temp really. An oil temp gauge accurately tells you how warm the oil really is.

The idiot light also does not tell you if you experienced a drop in pressure on that right hand sweeper (not all gauges will either, but the SPA gauge has a nice setpoint function with an alarm indicator).

IMO... those two gauges are important on a tracked car. More important once you start pushing the enevelope a little.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Ideally I would love to be able to pick up the voltage from the stock Oil pressure sensor and feed it into my Innovate AuxBox system. That way I could have my XD-16 gauge show the pressure and have an alarm setup too. So the question is, does anyone know the specs on the stock Oil pressure sensor?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:36 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase
Easy to follow the crowd Don. It takes balls to go down the unconventional path.

(yeah, I never proofread anything)
Yeah, but I bet you can type with more than one finger.

the deep sense of being is from, and where your body and soul want to go''. Joseph Campell
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:44 PM

Wink Doc..... is there a pulse ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb
Don in your opinion, are an Oil Temp & Oil Pressure gauges necessary on a Boosted Elise? We do have the Oil Pressure idiot light on the gauge cluster, and if the Oil temp goes high, then the Oil coolers will kick in.
What Randy said, information is power, I like two of everything on a motor
which is stressed.
Don.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb
Ideally I would love to be able to pick up the voltage from the stock Oil pressure sensor and feed it
I think you will find that the oil pressure sensor that feeds the idiot light is of the on-off variety. It doesn't measure the oil pressure, just if there is a pressure above some minimum value. It won't feed an oil pressure gauge.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Tim, that's what I was afraid of.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 06:29 AM

Scotty, I pick up oil pressure via a "T" in the AN4 line to the turbo; I used another flexible line to go to the pressure transducer. Email me and I think I can send you pics of how I did it with the SPA gauge, and I know someone else did something similar, as I copied that idea and modified it slightly.

Temp sensor - there is a bung in your oil pan if you have the Moroso pan.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM

Thought I'd revive this thread since I'm in a reviving spirit

I've been studying the Elise (US based) oil cooling system in depth lately and starting asking myself this same question from this thread of where best to measure oil temp: In the pan or in an added sandwich adapter below the factory oil cooler sandwich plate. On one hand, I guess its nice to know what the temp in the pan is since that should pretty much be the high point of the system with oil being spun out of the engine, but on the other hand, it might make more sense to be measuring the temp of the oil being fed into the engine? I'd think the ideal place for that would be at an added sensor sandwich adapter (as many have done here) since that would sit below the factory oil cooler sandwich plate...and would thus be in contact with the sum/blend of oil coming from the coolers and cooler bypass via the thermostat in the factory oil cooler sandwich, thereby measuring the temperature of the oil just before going through the filter and into the engine.

I know this topic is like religion with varying viewpoints, but I'm trying to decide which to go with, given the choice... Reading many threads on the topic doesn't seem to make the decision any easier... If anything, just thought I'd share my dilemma with everyone here
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 AM

Sorry I can't offer any advice, but here is what I did.

I just spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what would work best for me. I ended up replacing the stock oil pressure switch with an oil pressure sender and electrical gauge. I wanted to avoid a sandwich plate (less chance for leaks) or a t fittting off the existing oil pressure swith location (others claim that some have cracked and leaked). If you just unplug the switch the light will not light up on your dash. I used a Glowshift elite series gauge with the optional extra bright seperate LED warning light. The elite sending unit was about the same size as the stock switch. The gauge has a programable high and low warning setting. So I still get the low oil pressure warning and it is as bright as an aftermarket shift light. I figured I did not need an oil temperature since I can tell when the oil has warmed up when the pressure is in the mid 20's at idle. The only information I am missing is high oil temp indication but I can live with that. If I realy want to know I will have a bung welded to the oil pan.

Hoosier tires won in 2009: 11

Thank you Hoosier and NASA!

Last edited by AZReason; 02-24-2011 at 07:34 AM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 AM

I also can't give you a definitive answer. I went with the sandwich adapter for both pressure and temp -- it's worked out fine. Don't know where you get the most representative/accurate oil temperature reading -- measured at the pan or sandwich adapter? I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this too.

As for gauges, get the best that fit your budget. For me, I want programmable alarms, convenience of install and ease of fitment in tight quarters. The Defi setup pictured below worked great for the 2-11. The fact that you can record the data and play it back on the gauges was a plus. I also got Defi's extra ($35 option) warning meter/light and mounted it on the instrument binnacle so I couldn't miss an alarm.
Attached Images

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Thanks guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one out there wondering what the best answer is, if there is one. I've been reading more threads elsewhere and overall, it seems folks are saying they prefer to get the max temp before the coolers, such as in the pan. Here is one example of a Honda thread with a poll:

oil temp sender, before or after oil cooler?? - NZHondas.com

I guess there probably is no single best answer; Both answers work as long as you're getting sense of 'normal' temps over time so that you can recognize when an abnormal condition starts occurring.

Maybe this would be an interesting question to throw out to all of you: I just got done converting my oil cooling system to the Lotus Sport Oil/Water cooler kit. I'll post results of oil temps with this new kit. Which point would you rather see oil temp results from? Pan or sandwich?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 04:47 PM

I have not checked the 2ZZ, but on some engines I have owned in the past there were little plugs on the side of the engine head that fed into the oil galley. This way you could mount the pressure sensor directly to the engine. I plan on looking into this one day for my car. The last engine I did it on the plug was a 1/8" NPT thread and the plug had like a S4 square hole in it.

Also if you plan on using a Tee, DO NOT use the brass ones from Home Depot or Ace Hardware, the weight of the oil pressure sensor will fatigue it over time. Trust me, I went through this. If you want to use a Tee, then get a good steel or aluminum one that is meant for automotive use. Earls Tee fittings at Summit.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:22 AM

Well, for what it's worth, I ended up going with both sensors in the sandwich plate adaptor. The coin toss and I finally figured it would be nice to know the condition of the oil just before entering the engine. Now if I could just get clear of winter and road sand/salt, I'll be able to drive and see what readings I get over time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in