LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Lotus Elise (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/)
-   -   05 Elise vs. F-150 Bumper (Central NJ) (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/05-elise-vs-f-150-bumper-central-nj-456562/)

Jaguar 06-04-2018 11:06 AM

05 Elise vs. F-150 Bumper (Central NJ)

4 Attachment(s)
Sadly, my Elise has finally taken a hit. Was backed into by an F-150 this morning. The truck actually went over the front and I lost no fluids somehow. Also since it was above everything, maybe the frame survived. Any good repair shows in the central NJ area? It's giving the insurance people headaches since they don't have good repair value estimates.

kfennell 06-04-2018 11:12 AM

Looks to me like the frame is likely OK, although you obviously can't see the suspension mounts from here. Probably expect a minimum of $10k for repairs, they took out a ton of little parts there in addition to the obvious clam, light, radiator shroud, access panel, hinge panel, wheel liner x 2, the trim for those, the stickers, the splitter, all your plastic trim, maybe the wiper? Is the window broken? Thats like $1500+ labor too. I think this might be a race car now...

jrb3 06-04-2018 11:27 AM

Man, that sucks. Sorry for your headache.

cyow5 06-04-2018 11:29 AM

The crash structure is hosed, and that is epoxied to the frame. If it bent anything where it attaches, this is now a parts car. Even without frame damage, this is easily north of $15k in damage if the body shop is aggressive with the estimate (and most are).

SufjansWasp 06-04-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfennell (Post 5845010)
Looks to me like the frame is likely OK, although you obviously can't see the suspension mounts from here. Probably expect a minimum of $10k for repairs, they took out a ton of little parts there in addition to the obvious clam, light, radiator shroud, access panel, hinge panel, wheel liner x 2, the trim for those, the stickers, the splitter, all your plastic trim, maybe the wiper? Is the window broken? Thats like $1500+ labor too. I think this might be a race car now...

Way more than $10k in repairs, unless he takes the insurance payout money and sources used/refurbished parts from the community. But the insurance write-up for this type of damage is going to total out the car.

rustyb 06-04-2018 11:48 AM

Hope the F-150 driver has good insurance. Very sorry for all the hassle & headache. Rustyb

Roundabout 06-04-2018 12:18 PM

Sorry to see that.
I would guess $21,000 damage. The crash structure is damaged. It will be totaled out.

kfennell 06-04-2018 12:58 PM

I think that's the radiator shroud that's damaged not the crash structure although it might be broke too

craigyirush 06-04-2018 01:29 PM

God damn idiots in their big pickup trucks/SUVs! This is why I only take mine out when I'm headed to the canyons or the track. The chances of it getting hit in traffic are too high.

I hope you can save it from being totaled and keep it on the road.

Can anyone give him the name of a bodyshop close by that knows our cars?

glb 06-04-2018 01:52 PM

Were you in the car at the time?

You're in luck with bodywork:

Larry Comerford
Foreign Specialties
439 N Main St
Manville NJ 08835
*(908) 526-6960‬

Great work.

jc0019 06-04-2018 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got rear ended by a truck a few months ago too. Luckily the truck was so high that it only damaged the rear clam and it was at a very low speed, everything else on the car is fine. Total cost is $18k.

I think your accident might total your car. Looks like the front clam, windshield, headlight, radiator and radiator support were damaged. If the damage total is over $24k (80% of the car value), your car will be totaled. Sorry this happened to you.

Jaguar 06-04-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glb (Post 5845402)
Were you in the car at the time?

You're in luck with bodywork:

Larry Comerford
Foreign Specialties
439 N Main St
Manville NJ 08835
*(908) 526-6960‬

Great work.

Yup, I was driving and then watching the F-150 reverse lights get bigger and bigger.

I found some other threads that mentioned Foreign Specialties and that's who I sent the insurance company to. They had no Lotus listing for approved body shops for exotic cars. Now we see what they come back with...

Roundabout 06-04-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfennell (Post 5845266)
I think that's the radiator shroud that's damaged not the crash structure although it might be broke too

The crash structure is in front of that. The crash structure is so close to the turn signal indicator (that has been ripped out), that it would be unlikely to have been missed. It so close in fact, that going over a bump can cause the crash structure to hit the underside of the turn signal and cause it to pop out.
:crazyeyes

glb 06-04-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguar (Post 5845522)
Yup, I was driving and then watching the F-150 reverse lights get bigger and bigger.

I found some other threads that mentioned Foreign Specialties and that's who I sent the insurance company to. They had no Lotus listing for approved body shops for exotic cars. Now we see what they come back with...

Ugh.

Did you honk your horn? I hope you are not still using the stock horn, about which I've warned for years.

zakria 07-14-2018 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea buddy, sorry to hear that

I had accident from Dodge Charger, it hit me from the back of the car.

The brand new rear clam cost about 7k so I found fiber glass-shop and fixed the rear clam less than 2K but I had to purchased new parts such as cat back + exhaust + diffuser and rear panel.

:crying: Not gona lie without the help of the insurance i will be crying next to my car every day!

Robocop305 07-15-2018 05:57 PM

I'm glad you guys are resurrecting these cars instead of trashing it.

Jaguar 09-27-2018 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally found some time to delve into my project. What's left of the front clam is now off. On closer inspection, I realized that the radiator shroud is separate from the front crash structure. I had put in an all aluminum radiator but I did not have to take the shroud out for the swap, so never really bothered to look closely at it. I will be disconnecting the AC lines and pulling the radiator out, then I can pull the shroud off. Once all the broken bits are out of the way, I can get the crash structure and frame evaluated for damage. Staying hopeful...

MrWong 09-28-2018 04:03 AM

Sorry to see another elise taken out by a pick up truck!!

This is pretty much exactly what happened to the Elise that i rebuilt in my thread. I think your crash structure is okay from the looks of it.

The items that kfennell mentioned is about right. The front clam, clam accessories, light and blinker, radiator shroud, access panel, wheel liner x 2, and, all your plastic trim, headlight and blinker gaskets + misc small stuff that can be hard to come source.

Here is some prices that I have on hand for some of those items not including labor to install and fit.

Front clam - $3200 - red gel coat no paint
Windshield - $2000 installed
radiator shroud - $480
Access Covers - $$$ + paint
used rad exit grills - $75
Blinker gaskets - $45
Headlight assemblies - $1600ea
Fender blinkers - $175ea
Front blinkers - $$$
Front wheel liners $180 for the 2 pieces
Front plastic pieces and mud flap - $150
Front grille and little corner pieces - $$$
Front Splitter - $$$

Your easily looking around 15K in parts, import fees, and such. The Elise that I bought with similar damage had an insurance claim on it for 20K+. Doing most of the labor myself and getting some used parts here on LT, cleaning them up where i could, I put easily about 10k in. This did not include new headlights assemblies for me so that can easily shoot up to 15k+.

Pm me if you need any help!

Jaguar 09-28-2018 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWong (Post 5893218)
Sorry to see another elise taken out by a pick up truck!!

This is pretty much exactly what happened to the Elise that i rebuilt in my thread. I think your crash structure is okay from the looks of it.

The items that kfennell mentioned is about right. The front clam, clam accessories, light and blinker, radiator shroud, access panel, wheel liner x 2, and, all your plastic trim, headlight and blinker gaskets + misc small stuff that can be hard to come source.

Here is some prices that I have on hand for some of those items not including labor to install and fit.

Front clam - $3200 - red gel coat no paint
Windshield - $2000 installed
radiator shroud - $480
Access Covers - $$$ + paint
used rad exit grills - $75
Blinker gaskets - $45
Headlight assemblies - $1600ea
Fender blinkers - $175ea
Front blinkers - $$$
Front wheel liners $180 for the 2 pieces
Front plastic pieces and mud flap - $150
Front grille and little corner pieces - $$$
Front Splitter - $$$

Your easily looking around 15K in parts, import fees, and such. The Elise that I bought with similar damage had an insurance claim on it for 20K+. Doing most of the labor myself and getting some used parts here on LT, cleaning them up where i could, I put easily about 10k in. This did not include new headlights assemblies for me so that can easily shoot up to 15k+.

Pm me if you need any help!

I just looked through your thread, very nice write up. Fellow mechanical engineer here. I see you also had a windshield replacement, that was one concern of mine.

I received $25k from insurance so I have some money for the big stuff like clam, paint, and headlights. I'll reuse any non-damaged items, and I will replace all the front black plastic fins/grills with some nice mesh like I did on the rear hatch.

I'll keep everyone updated on progress, I have 2 week old daughter so I'm doing work here and there in between her sleeping. Taking care of two babies now, daughter and Lotus.

Kubera 09-28-2018 09:02 AM

Don't worry about the windshield replacement, it is not a big deal.

PM me...I know the best Lotus windshield replacement technician that will come to you...but you must get the new windshield from a dealer first.