05 Elise Wont do anything - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Lotus Driving Academy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCspeed34 View Post
From the moment you said "my shift light is blinking" I knew it was the immobilizer. I'm very surprised your car didn't come with a key fob, and unfortunately I think you're going to have to pick one up.

There is a method of disabling the immobilizer, do some searching around on the forum. I highly doubt it could be anything else.
The car came with some aftermarket key fobs, but im not sure how to program them to the car (they are dead). If I was able to do that, should I be able to get all this to stop without messing with the immobilizer or am I still going to have to mess with something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Addict

Garage
Do you have the PIN for your immobilizer? I believe there is a way to enter the PIN to turn off the immobilizer if you do not have a working fob.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Lotus Driving Academy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Do you have the PIN for your immobilizer? I believe there is a way to enter the PIN to turn off the immobilizer if you do not have a working fob.
I don't even know where the immobilizer is or what it looks like. I think I read its behind the seat somewhere, I just got my car about 2 months ago so im still learning all of this.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:07 AM

If you don't have the pin code to the immobilizer you can call a dealer with your VIN and request it. With the pin you can use your key and sequences from the Cobra 8186 manual to turn off the immobilizer and keep it off.

Search for threads by SirLotus for more immobilizer programming information.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:19 AM

There is an easy way to just bypass the immobilizer.
If nobody else has told you in a private message, just let me know.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 02:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagoss View Post
I don't even know where the immobilizer is or what it looks like. I think I read its behind the seat somewhere, I just got my car about 2 months ago so im still learning all of this.
Its behind the seat under the rear panel. There's two jumper wires that are needed to run to bypass it. Can't recall the wires, but the information is well documented on here.

'05 Lotus Elise Touring Hardtop-REV400+Track mods
'94 Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo-Reliability mods
'09 Dodge Viper VOIX edition-no mods
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Lotus Driving Academy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vavoo View Post
There is an easy way to just bypass the immobilizer.
If nobody else has told you in a private message, just let me know.
all ears ill be watching inbox
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 PM

Was the diffuse panel coming off:
1) the cause of the problems
2) the result of the problems
3) or just correlated?

I would try squirting some ether into the airbox, which will let you know that you problem is solely with the fuel.
Then you need to figure out whether it is the MFRU, immobilizer, pump, etc.
A volt meter will be your friend.

You should be looking like a 60's start trek landing party team member looking at the tricorder.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Lotus Driving Academy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmz View Post
Was the diffuse panel coming off:
1) the cause of the problems
2) the result of the problems
3) or just correlated?

I would try squirting some ether into the airbox, which will let you know that you problem is solely with the fuel.
Then you need to figure out whether it is the MFRU, immobilizer, pump, etc.
A volt meter will be your friend.

You should be looking like a 60's start trek landing party team member looking at the tricorder.
I don't see how that will help since the car won't even try to start. If it will not turn over at all I don't see how spraying ether will help

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:04 PM

The blinking light is the giveaway - it IS the immobilizer and the only official way to fix it is with a fob.

The answer to "why did the undertray trigger this" is either completely unrelated or originating from how the immobilizer was bypassed in the first place.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:52 PM

how have you been starting the car without an immobilizer fob?!

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, ďWow, thatís cool.Ē Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
how have you been starting the car without an immobilizer fob?!

I believe this holds the answer:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70940

But that is just my guess. If you disable active arming, then the immobilizer stays out of the way until you ask it to immobilize.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 PM

So what was the outcome?

Some after market tunes have the immobilizer function taken out. My wife's Elise has an older CharlieX tune. We never have to press the FOB to start it. Tell tale never blinks unless its armed. But on my Exige I have a BOE tune and it does require me to hit the FOB to start it.

I seriously wonder if there was some sort of interruption that caused your ECU to dump.

I'm with cyow5, get your owners manual or other documentation that instructs how to program the FOB. Start with replacing the batteries.

Next option you have is take it to a dealer.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"

Last edited by Gunpilot; 01-08-2015 at 10:37 PM.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagoss View Post
I don't see how that will help since the car won't even try to start. If it will not turn over at all I don't see how spraying ether will help
Cricky - you certain have a valid point there.

I guess that I seem to forget how it works as I always hit the fob button, and do not try it without. But I thought it cranks but doesn't start and the immobilizer does not allow the pump to be powered??
I know for sure that the inertia switch is part of the fuel pump circuit.

Either way the VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) should help to determine where the issue is at.

More importantly... Some questioning as to whether the diffuser the cause of the issue or the result of the issue might be worthwhile.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Lotus Driving Academy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
So what was the outcome?

Some after market tunes have the immobilizer function taken out. My wife's Elise has an older CharlieX tune. We never have to press the FOB to start it. Tell tale never blinks unless its armed. But on my Exige I have a BOE tune and it does require me to hit the FOB to start it.

I seriously wonder if there was some sort of interruption that caused your ECU to dump.

I'm with cyow5, get your owners manual or other documentation that instructs how to program the FOB. Start with replacing the batteries.

Next option you have is take it to a dealer.
I have never had a fob to use, I just always locked/unlocked car with key, and when I get in, I put the key in and hit the start button.

If it helps my car has a rebuilt title, it was the previously yellow elise that was ran into a fence, pics are posted in the wrecked vin section. I had the car at probably 7K rpm when the panel came off and everything went downhill. Also I will note there is a little black box behind my push to start panel when I took it off, seems to be some type of security looking box, and I think it has what appears to be a wire hanging down with a red button attached to it. It may be some aftermarket system?? the button hangs down a little from the plastic to the left side of my legs if im sitting in the car. I pushed it but nothing happens. Also one day the first month I had the car the alarm randomly started going off while driving down the road and I was near my house and it would not shut up even after disconnecting battery and pulling fuses. when I would turn the key at a certain point it would stop, it was really weird, and it didn't do it again after that day. Maybe there is something aftermarket on my car? when I get time, hopefully sunday I should be off I will try to locate the immobilizer and jump the pins. also I will note that my check engine light and the others STAY on, all the lights come on when the key is turned, but then they go off except for the three noted. bat, oil and engine. battery is sitting at 12.2v as of yesterday so it should be fine. I did notice when it happened the temp seemed to go crazy on gauge as I was pulling off of the road
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Lotus Driving Academy

Garage
Okay so after pulling my car apart..

I cut the plug from the immobilizer itself and connected wires from the ends togeather instead of buying a plug or wire then I plugged it back in and boom the car fired right up.

all check lights went away.

BUT...

The car drove fine back into my garage from the street curb, but its making an awful sound from the engine bay and the shift light is still blinking. I pulled coils and didn't see anything because sound sounds like its coming from around that area. don't expect any answers to this one because I guess its something you have to hear so I guess ill have to have someone come look at it, but at least she is running, thanks everyone who helped!
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 02:39 PM

What ever happened to your car?

05 Lotus Elise Larini Exhaust 6200 miles Original Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in