05 turbocharged lotus Elise won't start - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

05 turbocharged lotus Elise won't start

Hi All ,

I'm looking for some suggestions . I checked all fuses , the starter seems to be fine , the battery is fine , injectors , changed the spark plugs , I was getting oil on the spark plugs , so I changed the valve cover gasket and the 4 valve gaskets, changed the coil packs. It started and idled high. Then didn't run at all after that . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Daniel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:46 PM

No codes? Could be so many things. Idling high makes me think about the connection to the throttle body.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2007 Exige S
Stripped down and turned into a track animal
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuzzard View Post
No codes? Could be so many things. Idling high makes me think about the connection to the throttle body.

Only saying idling higher than expected. Connections meaning (I'm sorry , please forgive the ignorance) ? The throttle cable seems fine . What do you think with that could cause it to not turn over at all now ?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:57 PM

Ah, not a drive by wire, cable throttle. Is does not even crank? Can you hear the starter solendoid click? Immobilizer?

2007 Exige S
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuzzard View Post
Ah, not a drive by wire, cable throttle. Is does not even crank? Can you hear the starter solendoid click? Immobilizer?

It's an 05 , so I think it is a drive by wire, but could also be wrong. I can and it seems fine with that . It's not the immobilizer and the fuel pump works .

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:27 PM

Also check for vacuum leaks on the engine side of the throttle. Are the crank case ventilation lines hooked up and not swapped?

2007 Exige S
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:41 PM
glb

What happens now? Does the starter work? Does it crank but engine doesn't start?

Do you have gas??

Was any work done prior to this?

When did you last get gas?

Do you hear fuel pump run when you turn key on?

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2468 View Post
It's an 05 , so I think it is a drive by wire, but could also be wrong. I can and it seems fine with that . It's not the immobilizer and the fuel pump works .

05's have traditional throttle cables. Drive By Wire was introduced in MY 06.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:55 AM

As stated above, it could be many things and more information is needed. The 05 indeed use a throttle cable and there also is a idle stop adjustment on the throttle body that can be adjusted. It could be set high for the SC idle, but that shouldn't keep it from starting. You mentioned oil on the spark plugs and you changed the valve cover gasket. I would assume that the oil is in the spark plug wells and on the outside of the plugs. Oil there can short out the plugs from firing but it would take considerable oil. If the oil is on the inside of the plugs (firing pin) that is another problem altogether.

Three things are needed for a combustion engine to run: Spark, Fuel and Air. When ever I have a problem starting a car I start with the basics and work forward. If the car does not turn over I would check the battery, ground connections, fuses and the starter itself. The Elise is infamous for needing a really good battery with a full charge. Just starting it once can run the battery down so it won't start again. (especially if you have a motorcycle battery (clam hinge) like mine. The battery should show 13+ volts (need a multimeter) and a load test is best to determine the condition of the battery. If the voltage drops significantly when the starter is engaged it most likely is the battery. If the battery checks out I would check the volts at the starter itself. Bad connections, loose engine grounding and the starter not tighten properly to the engine can prevent the starter from turning even with a full battery. IF all that checks out and the starter does not turn I would remove it and bench test it.

"It always seems to be something!"
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:34 AM

My immobilizer relay half died about 2 weeks ago, if the car ran rough and now won't start could be your fuel pump isnt running because immobilizer. Listen for the fuel pump priming after you turn the key before you push to start.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:14 PM
not your dad's puns

Hey Daniel, with all due respect, I think you need to take a step back and rethink your endeavor.

In previous threads you ask about coolant lines and fuel pressure:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...-lines-465316/

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...roblem-463810/

From these, I don't get the sense that you have a handle on what you're doing, or what you have.

Is this a project you are tackling on your own? Did you inherit someone's aborted attempt? Turbocharging a platform is non-trivial, let alone one that did not come with it from the factory.

I doubt you will get sufficient help just from posting on this board, and I encourage you to enlist the help of someone competent, local to you, who can help sort out what needs to be done.

I hope this doesn't come across as too harsh, I'm genuinely trying to help.

because racecar
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:50 PM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopun View Post
Hey Daniel, with all due respect, I think you need to take a step back and rethink your endeavor.
I think Turbopun is onto something here. Three posts looking for help with very little information to go on. It appears that you turbocharged the car yourself, I would hope someone taking on this job would be able to trouble shoot many issues themselves and provide more information when seeking help online. The more details on what is not stock, how you tested what is "good" and any other information you have. Did the car ever run with the turbo charger installed? Did you end up sorting out your fueling issue? How did you plumb those coolant lines? There are some knowledgeable forum members that have gone the turbo route and can likely point you in the right direction but they would need a lot more information about what has been done and what is not working.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I'll respond properly to everyone in a bit. I figured it out and I was extremely stupid. It was a fuse .
I missed the broken part when I inspected it. And it's fine now . I'm really embarrassed.

A special thanks to @thebuzzard without your help I wouldn't have fixed it

And thank you to all who tried to help. And while I don't know what I'm doing . I'm doing it all myself out of necessity.

Last edited by dan2468; 04-19-2019 at 02:49 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:06 PM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2468 View Post
I'll respond properly to everyone in a bit. I figured it out and I was extremely stupid. It was a fuse .
I missed the broken part when I inspected it. And it's fine now . I'm really embarrassed.

A special thanks to @thebuzzard without your help I wouldn't have fixed it

And thank you to all who tried to help. And while I don't know what I'm doing . I'm doing it all myself out of necessity.

Glad you got it running. We’ve all learned along the way and made some seemingly dumb mistakes. It is just hard helping through a forum sometimes. I cannot tell you how many times someone with electrical issues claims to have a good battery, tested it and after going through several other parts comes back to say a new battery fix it. Given that, many of us are a bit skeptical when little information is provided on issues.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:25 AM
glb

Which fuse??

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the short disjointed posts , I'm posting between clients at work .

So I've done a lot to this car , from stainless brake lines , to the fuel pump , injectors , turbo , I'm running it (successfully )with a greddy emanage ultimate with the plug n play wiring harness from mwr, shiftr111, steering wheel, act clutch flywheel (this piece I didn't do myself), exhaust , rear panel delete , Tesla roadster seats , radio , speakers , and sub . I've done more but that's off the top of my head.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Glad you got it running. We’ve all learned along the way and made some seemingly dumb mistakes. It is just hard helping through a forum sometimes. I cannot tell you how many times someone with electrical issues claims to have a good battery, tested it and after going through several other parts comes back to say a new battery fix it. Given that, many of us are a bit skeptical when little information is provided on issues.
Thank you ,I appreciate that. I know I don't know as much as many of you guys , but I'm working on learning. My question about the coolant lines , was from hearing 2-3 different ways of doing it , but no really good way of accessing the places or guides as to what's best. I ended up routing it from the lines that connect under the throttle body.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Which fuse??
It was R7 in the engine bay. Funny thing is that's the first fuse I checked. But didn't check carefully enough or just missed it working in a hurry . Definitely a stupid mistake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in