The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

‘07 Exige - No Heat

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  cmaser 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I posted last fall that I bought an ‘07 Exige but the heat does not work. It appears that the controls work fine, the thermostat is functioning with proper temp readout.

The suggestion was the flapper May be stuck in the AC position. So yesterday I finally pulled the front clam. Here is a photo from the front of the car looking inside the heater/AC unit. The flapper is on the left. Is that for AC or heat? My temp control knob is turned towards heat. If it is stuck what’s the best way to nudge it over?

Thanks
Henry

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
blender actuator has gone out if it's like my '06 - but without taking out the heater box, it seemed impossible to get to the screws and replace it - so I'm waiting until the end of the summer before I crack open my AC lines and have to recharge the system afterwards

Lotus Part #: A117M6052S or Bergstrom Part #: 2199069 - I was able to get one for around $20

#5 ·
I am a good shade tree mechanic, but electrical stuff just baffles me.

Here are a few questions that I need help with.
Since the radiator is out of the car I cannot start it.

I bought the car last October (only has 7000 miles) and did not test the functioning of the heat or AC (duh)

The fan works on all three speeds. The blue AC light illuminates

1. If you power on the ignition all the way and turn the heat/AC knob should the flapper move? If yes, what are the chances the knob control is cooked vs. something internal in the heater box?

2. Or will it not move unless there is a certain ambient internal temperature.

3. It was suggested to "test" the power to the flapper. Is that done up at the control knob or down on the heater box?

4. Isn't there either a fuse or relay for the flapper or entire heater box assembly?

Thanks guys.

Henry
'07 Exige S

#7 ·
If the ignition is on the flap should move with the heater control knob. ie it should move to the heater side when the heater control is turned to cold and move to the AC evaporator when the knob is turned to hot. The ambient temperature has no effect and the engine does not need to be running for the flap to move.

#12 ·
Well gents the "No heat" problem has been identified and fixed.

I finally got around to moving the fuse panel and all things below it to
get a better look at the connections and to test for 12v and 5v.

Turns out the green wire (right next to the red wire in the photo) was severed
from the connector. Quite thin wire. I really don't understand what prior owners do to their cars
and how these things happen.

Anyway, I touched the wire to the small part still attached to the connector and the flapper
immediately moved (yes!!!), so I set out last night to solder in new slightly longer wires (all three),
shrink wrapped and wire tied nice and out of the way. Also cleaned up the other wires that appear to come from the
actuator area.

One very vexing problem solved. As always thanks to the community for all of the suggestions and steering me in
different directions to diagnose.

Time for summer, but come November I will have heat!!

Henry
'07 Exige S

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.