2011+ Series 3 Lotus Elise Input Needed! - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
RGB

Great news for Series 3 owners and especially for ones in California! Found this: Lotus of West Covina

Awesome place sells OEM parts by factory number and catalogs. And best of all, the info is so good that we can cross reference parts on every models!!

Lotus of West Covina

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
RGB

**********coolant u-tube update**********

I have double checked the coolant u-tube location, and after cross referencing with multiple sources, the 2011 and up Lotus Elise has gotten rid of the u-tube and no longer has rubbing the issue. See the attached pic.

Sam
Attached Images

DamianLynch and amoe like this.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O LEE O View Post
I have been thinking of creating a thread just for the 2011 group to be able to share our experiences in one place instead of searching a myriad of threads.
Lee
Good idea. Maybe this is that thread.

Subscribed!

(Just picked up my new 2011 R yesterday from Motorcars of Georgia, driving it back to OH via an extra day in NC.)

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 AM

Hey, fellow 2011 owners- do your main headlights come on when you start the car?

I thought the white leds were the drls, but on my car the main headlights come on and can't be turned off when the car is on.

I started a thread on the electrical forum here: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f322...unning-430170/
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 04:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post
Hey, fellow 2011 owners- do your main headlights come on when you start the car?

I thought the white leds were the drls, but on my car the main headlights come on and can't be turned off when the car is on.

I started a thread on the electrical forum here: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f322...unning-430170/
Hi, mine work OK, only the DRLs (LED white string) are on when I start the car, AFAIK.
My car is a 2013 european version though, I'm so not sure it is 100% the same electrical schema as in the US.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 08:18 AM

The US cars use the headlights for DRLs, but by unplugging a single wire can be converted to euro spec (white led strips for DRLs).

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f322...ml#post5589226
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoe View Post
here is the comparison between the region engine and transmission data side by side. If anyone can find more details on the specs. And does that mean the euro specs have different parts.... dare I say...
[CENTER]

Euro
2ZR-FE
Displacement 1798cc
Compression Ratio 10.0:1
Bore 80.5 mm
Stroke 88.3 mm
Weight (without fuel) 97kg (214Ib)
Transmission 6-speed Toyota EC60
1st 3.538
2nd 1.913
3rd 1.310
4th 0.971
5th 0.818
6th 0.700
Reverse 3.333
Final 4.294
Supercharger Magnuson R900 supercharger

US
2ZZ-GE
Displacement 1796cc
Compression Ratio 11.5:1
Bore 82 mm
Stroke 85 mm
Weight (without fuel) 115kg (253.5 Ib)
Transmission 6-speed Toyota C64
1st 3.166
2nd 2.050
3rd 1.481
4th 1.166
5th 0.916
6th 0.815
Reverse 3.250
Final 4.529
Supercharger Magnuson R900 supercharger

Links with info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZR_engine#2ZR-FE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine#2ZZ-GE
Lotus Elise Toyota Engine Comments
Toyota Gearboxes - TechWiki
Here's a quickie spreadsheet I did showing the real-world differences between driving with the two gearboxes.

I'd personally prefer the euro tranny. Ratios seems close enough, but cruising would be MUCH more relaxed- 3200 rpm at 80 mph instead of 4000 rpm.

Track guys would disagree.

(jpg attached, plus xls for anyone who wants to change the conditions)
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: xls elise trannies.xls (27.5 KB, 29 views)
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 08:56 PM

A key difference missed above, is the S3 Elise, with the 2ZR-FE supercharged engine, is charge cooled by Lotus, the old 2ZZ version in the Elise wasn't. Power will be a lot more consistent as temps rise.

This is why Lotus pushed a bit further, with minor mods, to offer the Cup 250. Same 2ZR-FE SC CC drivetrain as the standard 220 (all power is measured in PS, not BHP).

For those who miss the S2 Exige S2 240 / 260 power levels, with the small car dynamics, the Elise Cup 250 has effectively taken that place, whereas the Exige V6 feels quite different to drive.

Another key difference is torque. The 2ZR-FE has more torque & lower down than any SC 2ZZ (Lotus OE)

Finally, the gear change on the EC60 is much more precise than the C64 & I've not heard of failures

So although the 2ZZ drivetrain is more 'exotic' than the hum-drum 2ZR-FE, the newer drivetrain still performs OK - thats progress I guess.

Given equal drivers / conditions, I dont feel an Exige Cup 260 (the peak S2 out of the factory) is any faster than an Elise Cup 250... in fact, the Elise Cup 250 might be quicker, as you have better torque to pull out of slower speed corners, less chance of a missed gear change & its easier to place due to better visibility.
Roundabout likes this.

Arabian Elises R US

Last edited by cain-it; 10-15-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in