About to Purchase '05 Elise, Question on Price - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:19 PM

So very true!!!
Also, if anything ever breaks (all older cars break eventually, one way or another, no matter what brand), it will be so much easier to forgive and fix/pay to repair it if it is in your favorite color, compared to if it is the wrong color or a color you didn't really want. Every time it breaks, you will be like, "It's not even the color I wanted!" Sadly, I speak from experience on that one...pearl white was not my first choice. I like it now though...sixteen years later. Thankfully, it also took that many years to get what I always wanted in the first place...now I have the best of both worlds.

Also, your mileage may vary, but for most people, if you think it is hard to get an approval through the home office now, it will be even more impossible after the birth of your second child. Much easier right now.

Naturally, do your due diligence within reason to make sure the car is a good one, but once you know it is right, lock that sale in ASAP before anyone else gets it as it is guaranteed that there are others out there in the same boat, looking for the same thing. This is true for all used specialty and classic cars...doesn't matter what kind of car it is, the good ones always go super fast.

In life and in buying desirable used Lotus, everything is a trade-off...you have to weigh and balance the price/time/risk factor and get it before anyone else does.

Keep us updated and if you get it, looking forward to seeing some cool pictures and writeups...the purchase of a Lotus is the beginning of a great and exciting new adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
The right car (or almost anything) is worth more money.

If you find a less expensive model in the wrong color, that may irk you for a long time.

Last edited by Turbo R; 11-15-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:00 PM

Garage
If it's the color, options and everything you're looking for, with low miles and local to you.. do NOT let this one get away!

From a financial point of view, these cars have been holding their value extraordinarily well. (better than any other 2005 car out there!).
so there's really not much to lose, and lots of enjoyment to be had!
glb likes this.

2005 Starlight Black Elise, -hardtop/touring/black interior/sector111 carpet buttons!
2008 Infiniti G37-S
2012 Mazda3i Grand Touring Hatchback w-SkyActiv
1974 MGB Roadster
(1991 300ZX 2+2 - RIP girl, you treated me well.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 PM

Garage
my suggestion would be go for it. Maybe you pay little more but the mileage should offset the diff.

'05 Lotus Elise Magnetic Blue
'02 Toyota MR-2 Spyder
'17 Mazda Miata MX-5 RF
'19 Acura RDX A-Specs
'09 Mini Cooper S

Tech Library!
http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Category:S2

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:59 PM

Garage
Nobody is buying these type of cars for rational reasons, though we do try to rationalize what we want.

If you are in the fortunate position to have the money to get your dream car, in the dream color, and in near mint condition, then rationalize away! One way to rationalize it is to think of the enjoyment you will get and amortize over time the tad bit extra you paid for nearly exactly what you want. If you keep the car a long while, it's almost nothing.

Another piece of advice... beware the mod bug... it has eaten my bank account and yet I feel I am not done yet...
glb likes this.

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:06 PM
pullthatwigback

send a link if you dont haha. that sounds perfect to me. yeah its expensive but a brg elise in our hometown is hard to come by in that condition.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:41 PM

I found the listing. Looks like a very nice car, just get rid of that iron man badge

Go for it!
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
I found the listing. Looks like a very nice car, just get rid of that iron man badge

Go for it!
Haha yep, that's the one. Just a reminder of when you have a low-volume, uncommon car that doesn't come in your desired color combination very often, it's not hard to find the handful of examples that actually ARE out there.

The last hurdle remains getting the wife fully on board (if I were single it would be in my driveway already). I suppose there's no such thing as getting your significant other (who can't tell a sport-tuned suspension from a teacup) completely on board, but just enough to tolerate it. She thinks the kids will prevent any sort of allowable time to actually enjoy a Lotus - even though I just don't think that's the case . Like Turbo said earlier I believe it's "Now or Never."

If any of ya'll have suggestions on this Everest-like hurdle (lol), I'm all ears.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

***UPDATE***

At last... at long, long last...

She's home. '05, 11k miles, never tracked or modified. Came with color-matched hardtop w/ storage bag, soft top w/ storage back, deluxe Coverking cover, trickle charger, tires only have 1,000 miles on 'em. Was located just 80 miles north of me, so got to go see it in person and happily drive it home like a kid just having bought his favorite candy from the candy store - then blissfully walking back home whilst eating his root beer jelly beans.

Special thanks to Michael, the original owner of this beauty. He absolutely loved and babied this car... and I plan on doing the exact same thing. Here are a few pics of me enjoying the car during my first weekend with it here in glorious SoCal (in the last pic, you can see me doing a 'thumbs up' in my Jim Clark replica leather gloves).
Attached Images

Turbo R likes this.

'05 Elise, Racing Green - a.k.a. the other woman
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:23 AM
glb

Good for you.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:05 PM

congratulations, enjoy !

2005 Chrome Orange Elise
1971 Porsche 914
1992 Porsche 928 GTS (sold)
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 02:02 PM

Congrats on getting her home! Beautiful specimen.

"In general, the Elise will be kept in best operating condition by regular use."
Page 152 Lotus Elise owner's manual
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 02:42 PM

Holy LRG, congrats on a beautiful car!
102ndcar likes this.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 02:53 PM
craigyirush

Congrats! Only thing wrong with it is that it's never been tracked! But that's easily fixed. LCOSC is having a track day for beginners at Streets next month.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
Congrats! Only thing wrong with it is that it's never been tracked! But that's easily fixed. LCOSC is having a track day for beginners at Streets next month.
Awesome, thank you! I'm considering joining up with LCOSC - when and where's your next meet-up?

post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Lotus Driving Academy

Garage
congrats on the car!
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:20 AM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! She's beautiful!!!
"Holy BRG!" is right and thoroughly appropriate now! LOL

So excited and happy for you...honestly, seeing this just totally made my day!

In this world, so many people aspire to someday owning the car of their dreams, but so few ever actually attain them.
You are one of the lucky few!

Lots of fun miles, good times, and amazing memories ahead...enjoy!!!

When the headaches of life and the stress of work or parenthood rear their ugly head, a short drive alone on a twisty road will go a long way to clear your head and save your sanity. A great car like the Lotus can do that for you. Good choice!

And yes, definitely look into LCOSC and GGLC (LCOSC is a chapter of GGLC)...they are a great bunch!

Lotus Club of Southern California ? The #1 club for year 'round Lotus drivers.

GOLDEN GATE LOTUS CLUB - Lotus Car Club for Lotus Enthusiasts - Track Days, Autocrosses, Meets, Tours, Vintage Racing & More!
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:50 PM

Congrats...beautiful car....I pulled the trigger this morning on the 2005 I was looking at too.

This site helped a great in giving me a foundation for knowing what to look for and what I wanted....

I do envy your hardtop tho.....but I've heard the softies are not bad and the one coming was just relined.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! To say the least I am absolutely GIDDY with excitement for this thing. It's in the perfect color combo for me and has all of the amenities I could ever want. I literally don't need a thing for it except some car wash soap! Lol.

It isn't happening to my car, but just so I know for future reference, does anyone know of a way to fix/repair the interior liner of the hardtop from sagging? I hear this can be a common issue, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks again, and am very happy to be in the Lotus Ownership club! (and at the far end of the parking lot )

Also, I made sure to contact Andy Graham at Lotus in Hethel; great chap. My Certificate of Provenance is on its way!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in