ABS Light on, clicking sound from one wheel. Bad speed sensor? OK to drive home? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShadowWulf369

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

ABS Light on, clicking sound from one wheel. Bad speed sensor? OK to drive home?

This is an '05 Elise.

I decided to take the Elise to work today. When I was a few miles from my office, I started to hear a faint clicking sound coming from the front right wheel. It got a little louder over the next couple miles, then I noticed that the ABS light was on.

I assume this is related to the wheel speed sensor, though I haven't verified, being that I'm still at work.

Questions:

1. Has anyone seen an Elise/Exige speed sensor fail in a way that the sensor starts dragging over the teeth, making a regular clicking sound? Any other thoughts on what it could be if not that?

2. My tires were replaced yesterday. Any chance the tire shop could have done anything that would cause this? I can't imagine how, but I've done surprisingly little work to the brakes/suspension on this car to make an "educated assumption"

3. I'm about 20 miles from home. Any harm in driving it back? I'm not worried about not having ABS, but I am worried about doing damage to adjacent parts.

4. Finally: Preemptively, I'm looking for replacement parts. I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for the sensor, itself. I've found the hub with sensor, and I've found a sensor for an S1, but I haven't found the sensor, by itself, for my car. Anyone know where to find one and/or a part number?

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:22 AM

I have the clicking sound. I am pretty sure it is coming from a brake pad shifting in the caliper. The pad seems to naturally sit back in the caliper and then when the disc is warm (must have a slight warp or thickness change) it clicks it forward.

I can make it go away by applying the slightest pressure. Maybe worth trying as if it goes away its probably pads or wheelbearing not the sensor (I could be way off on this thoughas I dont know how the sensor works).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:39 AM

Next time open up with "I was at a shop yesterday"

99% the ABS and the clicking aren't related IMO.

The clicking could be loose lugnuts, you need to check that first, I would also assume they broke a sensor somewhere, they are 14 year old wires by now so easy to do. Other sources include brake pads, and bearings.

You can only replace the whole unit, MWR has good replacements.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

A bit more info: the clicking sound is tied to speed and is consistent - it doesn't change when braking or turning, and doesn't fade in/out. I've never experienced the clicking or seen the ABS light before today.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:12 PM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
If the tires were replaced yesterday, have you double checked to make sure the diameters are correct? Obviously check the numbers molded into the tire wall, but possibly go out with a tape measure and make sure they were made correctly and to the correct size. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard of tires being manufactured incorrectly. This could be a cause for the ABS light if the rolling diameters are too far from what the system is expecting and it would take a few miles for the light to come on.

As for the clicking, I would say to double check bolt torque, as suggested above. Then look for other things that could cause a noise. Maybe a wheel weight is loose and hitting the caliper? Possibly get the car in the air and spin the wheel to see if you can replicate the noise without weight on the assembly.

Just guessing on both of these. But throwing out ideas of things to look for.
BrianK likes this.

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue

Last edited by ShadowWulf369; 07-03-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:06 PM

Garage
2. Maybe the knocked the sensor connector out of the metal holder and it is flopping around and hitting on the turning wheel?

3. If your odometer stops working it is one of the back wheel speed sensors. Only one is tied to the odometer and it is one of the back ones.
4. SKF is the original manufacturer and their part number (VKBA3511) is much more readily available for cheaper. Lotus part number is A117D6005F, but Lotus just marks the SKF unit up like 250%. Seriously Lotus (UK) keeps them in stock and were the cheapest I could find them when I replaced mine. Elise Parts (UK) also sells them. Not aware of anywhere in the US that stocks new ones. InoKinetic has some used ones.

SELOC has a pretty good wiki, but it is hit or miss. I try to contribute when I find something that is not very well known or is very useful.

2005 Elise - Nightfall Blue
Purchased 11/2015 w/:
Quickilver Exhaust
DBA4000 w/ Stainless Hoses
S111 re-ENFORCER, DSbrace
ProAlloy Radiator
Alpine Type R, JL Audio 2 Speakers
Odyssey PC925 in Rennline EL41.35 Box

Added:
Cup Intake, Katana2+
RLS ExtendView Mirrors
OEM Harness Bar, Schroth 4pt Harness
Pioneer AVH-X7800BT w/ AVIC-U280
BOE Clamhinge w/ Radium Shims

2011 Mustang V6 Kona Blue
Lots of Mods

Last edited by gamefreak32; 07-03-2019 at 05:13 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak32 View Post
2. Maybe the knocked the sensor connector out of the metal holder and it is flopping around and hitting on the turning wheel?
That's exactly what it was.

The ABS light went on once the wheel ate through the split loom and then the wire.

Mystery solved. Thanks for the input, all.

Now time to get the tire shop to make things right...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 PM

not-a-number I had brake clicking sound last year took a while to track down this part. https://www.eliseparts.com/products/...brake-buffers/ I had a write up about it as well. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/...umping-465176/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in