AD08R vs RE71? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

AD08R vs RE71?

Anyone running the AD08R on Elise/Exige?

Tire Rack doesn't seem to stock the front size, but they're available from the UK.
https://www.eliseparts.com/products/...d08r-tyres-s2/

I finally found a set of Sport Cup wheels, considering which tires to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:21 PM

i use the AD08R on the road and track in my turbo elise and they have been great. They have about 15 minutes in them on track before they start getting overheated and slippery as hell

2005 Elise 111R, 2litre, 315hp, FF275 Turbo kit 6lbs. Soon to be 400+
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 Turbo View Post
i use the AD08R on the road and track in my turbo elise and they have been great. They have about 15 minutes in them on track before they start getting overheated and slippery as hell
Uhh, so you mean you like them on the street but not on the track?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:41 PM
He's on fire!

re71, just get a 205 front

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I was going to use 205 fronts regardless which tires I chose.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:25 PM
glb

Much of this is determined by how you use your car.

Do you mind keeping your tires above 15F?

Any track?

Drive in rain? RE-71 good with wet surfaces but NOT standing water (as per mfgr and TR).

Tool around or drive fast on twisty roads?

Get the picture?

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I have plenty of experience with the general virtues and limitations of DOT track tires.

I've read plenty of opinions on the RE71, was hoping for comments from more folks with firsthand experience with the AD08R.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:48 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post
I have plenty of experience with the general virtues and limitations of DOT track tires.

I've read plenty of opinions on the RE71, was hoping for comments from more folks with firsthand experience with the AD08R.
I believe glb was pointing out that your question was very generic, and you'd get better feedback if you provided more specifics about your intended usage and requirements.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Actually my question was very specific. The two tires I'm asking about are very similar. Not much tread, low treadware rating, etc. Really they are track tires that can be used on the street in good weather.

I assumed it would be obvious that I wasn't concerned with tire life, or heavy rain, cold weather, or snow. And in any case, both these tires would be bad under those conditions.

Just looking for more folks with firsthand experience with AD08R tires.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:09 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post
Actually my question was very specific. The two tires I'm asking about are very similar. Not much tread, low treadware rating, etc. Really they are track tires that can be used on the street in good weather.

I assumed it would be obvious that I wasn't concerned with tire life, or heavy rain, cold weather, or snow. And in any case, both these tires would be bad under those conditions.

Just looking for more folks with firsthand experience with AD08R tires.
Your question wasn't specific. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. You provided more information in this post than the first, barely.

Assuming is always a bad idea and your post didn't make anything obvious. Miss Cleo doesn't frequent this forum.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Your question wasn't specific. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. You provided more information in this post than the first, barely.
Uhh, the title of the thread is very specific and (I thought) very clear.

AD08R vs RE71?

I am considering those two tires.

I am not considering other tires.

I am not looking for advice on the differences between slicks vs DOT track vs summer vs all-season vs snow tires.

I am asking for comments from folks with firsthand experience on how those two specific tires compare to each other, or failing that, folks with experience with AD08R only, since I've found plenty of comments on RE71.

Do you have any firsthand experience with AD08R tires that would be helpful to someone considering that tire?
Parko likes this.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:04 AM

Garage
Chill people.

Centerpunch, if you used your last sentence

"Do you (anyone) have any firsthand experience with AD08R tires that would be helpful to someone considering that tire?"

as your thread line, it might have eliminated some of the confusion. Regardless, people will try to be helpful by giving their viewpoints on their favorite tires, even if that was not exactly what you asked. I have learned about options I had not thought of by someone commenting on what they did.

When I bought my Elise, it had AD08R's on it. They were well past their prime, so I don't really have much info to give to you on that. I figured to replace them with the RE71R because they were newer technology.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:28 AM

When you say "which is better", we don't know what you define "better" as. Best track tire of the two that handles a bit of rain on the way home best? Longest tread life of the two? Best absolute track time on a warm day? A cold day? Gentlest break-away characteristics? For these reasons and more, people pick different tires over others, and this is what San is saying you are missing.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
When you say "which is better", we don't know what you define "better" as.
I didn't say "which is better."

I was asking for firsthand experience with AD08R, and apparently there's not much of that here.

No worries.

Found some good info on SELOC forums, I think we're done here.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 06:55 AM

I found one review on Tire Rack's review of the AD08R that mentioned the driver had experience with the RE71R also. Seemed he felt the Bridgestone had more grip, but the Yoko would make the better street tire. Hope that helps.

O6 Elise Full Lotus Sport Ohlins Suspension Upgrade, VF Stage 2
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesAlbin View Post
I found one review on Tire Rack's review of the AD08R that mentioned the driver had experience with the RE71R also. Seemed he felt the Bridgestone had more grip, but the Yoko would make the better street tire. Hope that helps.
Thanks!
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 07:19 AM

Garage
The reason why you've read so much about the RE71R is because it's a great tire. It's proven on Elige, readily available, and hard to beat in general. I don't know any track-oriented tire that's good in standing water, but I've used RE71R in the wet on my old 2-series and they were fantastic, much better wet performance than R888. I also don't know anyone who has had a negative thing to say about the RE71R for track performance, only complaints I've heard regard wear and road noise.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 AM

The RE71R is a tire in a different league than the Yok. The RE71R will wear faster but provide substantially more grip.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater View Post
The reason why you've read so much about the RE71R is because it's a great tire. It's proven on Elige, readily available, and hard to beat in general. I don't know any track-oriented tire that's good in standing water, but I've used RE71R in the wet on my old 2-series and they were fantastic, much better wet performance than R888. I also don't know anyone who has had a negative thing to say about the RE71R for track performance, only complaints I've heard regard wear and road noise.
I've looked at the Re-71s and went with the R888Rs, because despite the difference in title (Summer vs R-comp) and the difference in wear rating.
From what I've read (no first hand experience, so take this with a grain of salt) the RE-71s and most of these new 200tw compounds act pretty much like R compounds. They wear very quickly, they're noisy, and they're fast at the track.

I had read a couple places that the Re-71s were fast for a lap or two but couldn't handle heat as well over multiple laps as true R-Comps (probably not as big of an issue on our cars) and that they seemed to heat cycle out quicker than some of the better wearing (read NT-01s) R-Comps so in an environment where none of these tires wear out before they heat cycle out, the NT-01s may last longer in a mixed use environment then the RE-71s. Just using these 2 as examples as the NT-01s are known to have lots of heat cycles. Have yet to find out what the R888Rs will deliver.

This seems to be the only counter point to using the new street tires, and again I don't know how much validity there is to it
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:58 AM
glb

I assume you know TR tested these, wherein they did OK, but not great. (Don't know if tire has changed.)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=197

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in