AD08R vs RE71? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 12:52 PM

I've run the AD08R and the RE-71R (albeit, not on the same car) for autocross and track days. Like the AD08R for wet traction, but that was about it. It's a good tire, not a great tire. Re-71R is by far the superior "performance" tire in my mind, particularly if you are looking for ultimate grip in a street tire configurations. However, anything beyond a light morning dew, and they require greater concentration and a stronger sphincter muscle.
Reysing likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

OK- thanks guys.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 View Post
I've looked at the Re-71s and went with the R888Rs, because despite the difference in title (Summer vs R-comp) and the difference in wear rating.
From what I've read (no first hand experience, so take this with a grain of salt) the RE-71s and most of these new 200tw compounds act pretty much like R compounds. They wear very quickly, they're noisy, and they're fast at the track.

I had read a couple places that the Re-71s were fast for a lap or two but couldn't handle heat as well over multiple laps as true R-Comps (probably not as big of an issue on our cars) and that they seemed to heat cycle out quicker than some of the better wearing (read NT-01s) R-Comps so in an environment where none of these tires wear out before they heat cycle out, the NT-01s may last longer in a mixed use environment then the RE-71s. Just using these 2 as examples as the NT-01s are known to have lots of heat cycles. Have yet to find out what the R888Rs will deliver.

This seems to be the only counter point to using the new street tires, and again I don't know how much validity there is to it
I run the OLD R888 on my Exige - always have - and they're fantastic. OP didn't ask about R888. I call BS on only getting 1-2 "fast" laps out of RE71R, I would love to hear whoever said that explain what they mean. I would even note that a friend of mine who competes in USTCC and used to drive for bimmerworld tested the RE71R against NT01 on an E46 M3 and set his best lap the LAST lap of the test session in the RE71R by a very slim margin. http://www.prima-racing.com/bridgest...king-part-two/

NT01 are a gold standard tire, but not available in most of our sizes. Great on pretty much any platform, however.

As far as what the R888R "will deliver," I get about 7-8 days out of them (~35-40 cycles) before I get noticeable inconsistency, and I push them hard.

Last edited by acslater; 12-05-2017 at 05:44 AM.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater View Post
I run the OLD R888 on my Exige - always have - and they're fantastic. OP didn't ask about R888. I call BS on only getting 1-2 "fast" laps out of RE71R, I would love to hear whoever said that explain what they mean. I would even note that a friend of mine who competes in USTCC and used to drive for bimmerworld tested the RE71R against NT01 on an E46 M3 and set his best lap the LAST lap of the test session in the RE71R by a very slim margin. Bridgestone?s New RE-71R; The New Street Tire Track Day King? PART TWO Prima Racing Prima Racing

NT01 are a gold standard tire, but not available in most of our sizes. Great on pretty much any platform, however.

As far as what the R888R "will deliver," I get about 7-8 days out of them (~35-40 cycles) before I get noticeable inconsistency, and I push them hard.
Like I said, not talking from experience, just playing devils advocate, thats all.
I think I might be going to the Re-71s next time anyway, so I'm just stirring the convo up a bit.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:18 AM

Garage
" I call BS on only getting 1-2 "fast" laps out of RE71R, I would love to hear whoever said that explain what they mean."

I agree. My experience is that the RE71R holds up very well through an entire session (20-25 minutes), unless you overheat them. Then they get a little slick, but are usually back on after backing off for about half a lap. Of course, I am not going 10/10ths or racing, but I am not slow either.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:19 PM

Garage
Isn't the NT01 and the R888 the same compound? Toyo owns Nitto. My understanding was these tires share a compound and utqg rating of 100, and that the differences were in tread pattern and maybe sidewall stiffness?

OP didn't ask, but since other tires are now being discussed, I will mention the Hankook R-S4. I'm running these now. I have driven RE71Rs and I think they are very close in overall dry performance. Price is much better on the R-S4, and for my wheel setup, the size options were better as well. The durability of the R-S4 is supposedly much longer. Also, although I don't care much about wet performance, the R-S4 is noticeably better in the wet than my previous Toyo R1R setup. I also got caught in the rain on rcomps once--that's one of the scariest driving adventures I've experienced.

So to recap... R-S4 is less money, lasts longer, and similar performance.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:54 PM

I'm running the RE71R and I'm happy with them for general use. Seem more predictable than the AD-08 for me.

2006 Elise with BOE 400 supercharger and some aero mods, CRF floating oversized rotors, MCS single adjust coil overs, CRF exhaust, CRF sway bar w/adjustable link, mono-ball pivots, machined steer arms, baffled oil pan, CRF titanium toe link brace, hardened motor mounts, Ethos wheels w/Yoko slicks
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 04:08 PM
The Enforcer

[QUOTE=Parko;5645521]Isn't the NT01 and the R888 the same compound? Toyo owns Nitto. My understanding was these tires share a compound and utqg rating of 100, and that the differences were in tread pattern and maybe sidewall stiffness?
QUOTE]

Yeah, I posted that up nearly 4 years ago.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/3027665-post5.html

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 PM
SOS

For what it's worth, there are no local track or autocross guys here who would go near an AD08 if an RE71R is available. I never see a car on AD08R at the track unless it's a novice just running what he has.

My current set of 71R went about 40-50 heat cycles before completely cycling out into hockey pucks, but I'd say the best grip came within the first 20 cycles. Since these tires still had some tread depth when done, I'm thinking of shaving my next set so tread wear matches heat cycle life.

2008 Lotus Exige S 240
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:18 AM
German Reimport

I'm on my second set of AD08R in 205/45/16 and 245/40/17 for street use only, and I have no complaints.
I put them on after the RE01's where worn out and I feel they are very comparable. I haven't ever tried RE71s though.
Plenty of grip for street driving. Not quiet as crisp as R888s or AO48s, but a good street tire in my opinion.
I haven't tried them on the track yet since I have a set of 888s for that duty.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in