All things being equal, would you choose open top by choice? - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul MD
You mean they'll be fitting mirrors to the US version???

Don't you put racer's tape over your mirrors so you don't have to look at the driver of the Porsche flipping you off for making the bold pass on the outside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:12 PM

Maybe the right side mirror will be a $2K option, like the older ferraris

Long live the
post #43 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Supporting Vendor

This will be my first targa top car. Being a motorcyclist, I am partial to the 'open-air' experience. I think true convertibles provide an awesome feeling. Our Elise does not give that full open sensation with it's targa config.

The sun is way too hot where I live. A hat is an absolute must. I might have to get one of the Land's End 'sun' shirts with long sleeves. The sun is brutally hot here.

It was almost 90degF here in sunny Temecula (SoCal) today!

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!

post #44 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shinoo
The sun is way too hot where I live. A hat is an absolute must. I might have to get one of the Land's End 'sun' shirts with long sleeves. The sun is brutally hot here.
Something for Spector 111...

How about a sun-shade type replacement top (hood)?

Constructed of the shade cloth that breathes, but blocks some of the harsh sunlight. I've seen them for Jeeps. Let's lots of air in, but dampens the heat of the sun.
post #45 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:42 PM

This is an excellent question. I have never owned an open car. And never felt like I wanted one, I never really understood what should be so great about it. I had a car with T-tops, and didn't remove them a single time.

When I got interested in the Elise, it was for all the other reasons, I never thought much about the fact that it's open. If I had the choice, I would probably still go for the closed version. But I'm certainly keeping an open (no pun intended...) mind about it. I didn't order the hardtop, and plan to use the softtop for emergencies only. It's quite likely that I'll love it, just like many of the posters here who drive open cars now.

So even if it's against my preferences, I'm seeing it as a blessing. It gives me a nudge to try something that I might have missed out on otherwise.

One benefit of the car being open is that I won't have a problem fitting in with a helmet on.

Last edited by ConeFusion; 03-17-2004 at 07:44 PM.
post #46 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:56 PM

I'm looking forward to the roadster experience. I will drive with the top off, but will make good use of the insulated touring pack soft top when it's too hot outside.

I've heard some not so great things about the hard top and I'd rather pay more down the road for the gull wing version should I decide that I can't live without the hard top.

I do like how the car looks with the hard top, but couldn't justify the 1500 dollar price when 90% of the time it would be in my garage.

I've heard that the hard top is louder, takes a while to install and is a 2 person job.

After I've had time to live with the car, I may be ok never owning a hard top or I may decide to get the gull wing.

I do look forward to driving a car that I can listen to as it moves down the road.
post #47 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 08:58 PM

You should just ask who still has there healthy hair. Thats the only answer you'll need for this question.
post #48 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sownman
I've always been interested in a convertable, but never willing to put up with the body flex and lousy handling that comes with them. The Elise is my answer.

Steve
My Miata has no body flex and handles magnificently! I hear the S2000 is the same.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #49 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:16 AM

This may sound like blasphemy, but I'd love for the 3rd generation Elise to have a high quality folding top like my Miata's. I can put it up or down at a stoplight in about 5 seconds, no exageration.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #50 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:30 AM

Would only consider an open car this small

An open top for me was key, since I tend to feel claustrophobic in tiny little cockpits with a low roof... being able to drive around with the top off changes the whole feel of the car, and makes yu feel more connected to what is going on around you - people, other vehicles, the weather, etc - it makes me feel more alive, I guess. Wouldn't have it any other way.
post #51 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:31 AM

Garage
I own several convertables and oddly enough I have hardtops on all of them. I dont know what it is with me and hardtops..I just like the way the car looks with a hardtop better. Dunno, just my little quirk, I cant explain it. I have nothing against topdown.

I do enjoy being able to remove the hardtop when I want, but its not something I do often.

post #52 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 04:31 AM

Is the Elise really a "convertible", in the true sense of the word? In the Elise, the rear window is fixed. (At least, I think it is! Shows how little I know about the car I'm about to spend $45K on!) Does that make it a Targa, rather than a convertible?

In my MR-2 Spyder, the entire top goes down, including the rear window, giving a much more open feel. There must be a difference in terms for these 2 types of tops, but I'm no expert!

My other car is an MR2 Spyder.
My other other car is a Segway.
post #53 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MickOpalak
This may sound like blasphemy, but I'd love for the 3rd generation Elise to have a high quality folding top like my Miata's. I can put it up or down at a stoplight in about 5 seconds, no exageration.
Yes Mick, that is blasphemy. Expect a visit from the Spanish Inquisition.
post #54 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:22 AM

Oh, no! Not the Spanish Inquisition!
Shades of Monty Python.

My other car is an MR2 Spyder.
My other other car is a Segway.
post #55 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 06:35 AM

I've had some experience with open-air cars, but it's been a while. At one point I swore them off and disuaded others from buying them. In Maryland, the weather is either too cold and wet or too hot and humid.

My sister enjoyed her VW Cabriolet years ago, but that's a total chick car. I was never into it, but she had fun driving around and going back and forth to the beach.

My father has an '88 Ford Mustang GT convertible. That thing has all kinds of chassis flex. It also didn't handle especially well in coupe form -- the soft-top just made it worse.

My only open-air car was an old '74 Porsche 914. That was a Targa top like the Elise. I like the feeling of having a rear window fixed in place and having a built in B pillar/roll bar. The Elise gets points for that ... BUT ... my memories of the 914 remain clear and the Elise top is not appealing to me for a few reasons:

- The 914 top was also a bit of a pain to take off and put on. You could do it by yourself, but it took a couple minutes. Like Lillie in her X 1/9, I found myself not bothering with the top when I had shorter trips to make. I wouldn't want to leave it parked with the top off for any length of time -- so taking the top off to drive 10 miles and then putting it back on grew tiresome.

- The 914 top was solid and kept the wind noise down, but it didn't fit perfectly at the corners. I remember getting water on my left sleeve as I drove through a downpour.

I chose the new S2000 over the Elise for many reasons (previously explained), but the top was a big one. I would prefer not being totally exposed, and the Elise fit the bill better in that department, but the hassle of a fiddly top was something I wasn't going to deal with. The 6 second top of the S2000 is about as easy as opening a sunroof. You don't have to get out of the car or line up a metal bar or fitting and clips, etc. You flip a clip and press a button. This means I'll actually USE THE CAR AS A CONVERTIBLE! I can drive from my house to the restaurant with the top down and then park the car with the top up while I dine. Then I can put the top down again as I drive to the movie theater...then put the top up while I see the movie. Then I can drive to the bar with the top down and put it up again while I have coffee. You get the idea. With a targa top - any targa top - you will invariably say "screw it. I'll just leave it on". And that defeats the purpose of having a convertible.

Now if your Elise is a weekend only car - you can leave the top off all the time. Just don't park it anywhere!
post #56 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikester

But like Randy, I'm kind of a coupe snob (comes from hanging out with some Porsche-phile friends who consider cabriolets "sissy-cars" - seems esp. true with Porsches somehow).
That's what track days are for. My stock "sissy" Boxster couldn't be passed by anyone else in my run group. Not only is it fun to pass people who paid 2x-3x more for their car, but I got a nice tan on the way back from the track.

As for the next generation Elise, I wouldn't mind seeing an option like the del sol where the rear window could go down.
post #57 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:14 AM

Having made the transition from motorcycles to cars, I find that I've got the top down anytime it's above 40 degrees and it's not raining hard. I just can't stand being sealed up.
post #58 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MickOpalak
This may sound like blasphemy, but I'd love for the 3rd generation Elise to have a high quality folding top like my Miata's.
Yes, it is blasphemy.

From somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember the fact that Mazda spent as much designing the folding top for the Miata as Lotus did designing the Elise.

I can put up with the erector set Elise's top (you ought to try my Elan's), since Lotus spent the design dollars (pounds) for the correct aspects of the car.

As for the removable back window, I am under the impression that most people let it in place on the S1s since the "backdraft" pulled in a lot of hot air from the engine - supposedly it's bad enough with the hot air from the radiator spilling over the top of the windshield.

When I took the Euro model for the test drive, the car felt like driving a real convertible, just less wind, and you could actually talk to the person sitting beside you without shouting - and this comes from a person that's driven convertibles for the last thirty years...

Tim Mullen

Last edited by TimMullen; 03-18-2004 at 07:21 AM.
post #59 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone know how convenient the "shower cap" is for putting on and pulling off? My Elise will only be driven on nice days; I don't see myself ever using the stock top, let alone a hard top. But I would be putting on the shower cap whenever the car is parked -- simply as a psychological detterent against vandalism. I just can't see parking my car, even at work, with the nice leather interior exposed. (About 20 years ago, I had a friend who returned to his Datsun roadster to find a melted snow cone in the front seat... to this day, this incident still serves as a cautionary tale for me.)
post #60 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Modern Wedgie
Maybe the right side mirror will be a $2K option, like the older ferraris
Quote:
Originally posted by khamai
Don't you put racer's tape over your mirrors so you don't have to look at the driver of the Porsche flipping you off for making the bold pass on the outside?
Here is an attempt to hijack this thread toward mirrors. After watching Le Mans last night I want one of the roof mounted mirrors in its own housing. Complete with prisms to bring the image lower to be in the field of vision. I'd gladly love to see the image of a 917 GTR flashing its lights at me

Babak
Club111 Central Plains Coordinator

'05 Elise - Touring, HT, StarShield
'99 Ducati 996 Bip
'05 Freelander SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in