Another Question: Repairing Fiberglass - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47king View Post
This is horrible, but in the whole scheme of things, about as minor as you can expect. Another 2-3 miles an hour impact would have made things a lot more complicated. Please keep us in the loop as repairs progress and your satisfaction level. I am in Lansing area just west of you. Hopefully I will never need the services of a body shop, but curious how this one works out in case I ever do. Good Luck.
Agreed, that this is about as minor an accident as you can have with a car like this. It was just sooooo preventable. I will certainly take this thread all the way until I have my car back in as good as new condition so keep following along. It wont hit the shop until August 22nd so there will be some dead time for awhile.

The shop I'm using is AutoMark on Telegraph road in Bloomfield Hills, MI. It's a very high end shop so I'm sure the cost won't be cheap. The reviews on Google Maps are quite impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:57 AM
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Keep plenty of pictures of the damage and that is was "minimal". Consider negotiating a diminished value amount in addition to the repairs as the car with accident history, regardless of how small, is tougher to sell.

"If I've passed you on the RIGHT, you are in the WRONG lane!"
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFHughes08088 View Post
Keep plenty of pictures of the damage and that is was "minimal". Consider negotiating a diminished value amount in addition to the repairs as the car with accident history, regardless of how small, is tougher to sell.
Interesting comment! Can anyone share their experiences with such a situation? Did an insurance company pay you for the reduced value of your car? How was the payout amount established.

Thank you very much.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:29 AM
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

This is NOT an endorsement for the company on the website but it helps you understand diminished value claims, etc.

https://www.collisionclaims.com/mich...inished-value/

"If I've passed you on the RIGHT, you are in the WRONG lane!"

Last edited by JFHughes08088; 08-12-2019 at 07:10 AM.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFHughes08088 View Post
This is NOT an endorsement for the company on the website but it helps you understand diminished value claims, etc.

https://www.collisionclaims.com/mich...inished-value/
Thank you very much for this link!
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Slight update to this miserable saga: After one and a half weeks of trying, the offender's insurance company still cannot reach the person who hit my Lotus. I have to cancel my appointment to get the car repaired now as I'm still at square 1 in this mess. There's nothing I can do until they reach this person, although to me it looks like a case of avoidance. I guess you can escape your responsibility to own up to the damage you cause if you play hard to get with your insurance provider. What a drag.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:26 AM

Man, you just cant seem to catch a break.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47king View Post
Man, you just cant seem to catch a break.
Tell me about it. I am pretty depressed about the whole situation.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERIB View Post
Slight update to this miserable saga: After one and a half weeks of trying, the offender's insurance company still cannot reach the person who hit my Lotus. I have to cancel my appointment to get the car repaired now as I'm still at square 1 in this mess. There's nothing I can do until they reach this person, although to me it looks like a case of avoidance. I guess you can escape your responsibility to own up to the damage you cause if you play hard to get with your insurance provider. What a drag.
You might try calling them yourself and have "your lawyer" leave a message.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:09 AM

Is filing a claim thru ur insurance and paying the deductible out of pocket for now not an option so you can proceed with the repairs? Donít know how it works for different states.

When someone hit me while on my previous S2k, I proceeded with the repairs and paid the deductible. During the same time they went after the other insurance and once that was settled they refunded me back the deductible.

Sorry to hear your troubles so far. Good luck with the repairs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRawkus305 View Post
Is filing a claim thru ur insurance and paying the deductible out of pocket for now not an option so you can proceed with the repairs? Donít know how it works for different states.

When someone hit me while on my previous S2k, I proceeded with the repairs and paid the deductible. During the same time they went after the other insurance and once that was settled they refunded me back the deductible.

Sorry to hear your troubles so far. Good luck with the repairs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that's an option, but I dont know if I'll do it. I am just so disgusted by this whole episode, and Elise ownership in general (inability to get the most simple repair completed) that I have deep and profound regrets getting this car. I don't know what I am going to do about this, except call the body shop and cancel my repair appointment.
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Good news! I finally caught a break!! I have the accident on video! This morning I thought as a total long shot to talk to the coffee shop that I was in while my car was hit. The counter for this shop is way away from the door so it was very unlikely that they would have seen the accident. Still, I gave it a shot. They told me to talk to another shop in that strip mall that has a video camera trained on the parking lot. I talked with them and now have possession of the the tape! I have proof that I was not in the car and it was parked when hit. What an amazing turn of events!

Tomorrow's phone call to the offender's insurance agent is going to be quite nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in