Another Question: Repairing Fiberglass - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:47 AM

I admire your honesty and integrity, and normally I would agree with you. However the other party and their insurance company seemed to be less than forthcoming causing you considerable grief and anxiety. Not to mention you had to spend time doing your own detective work. You sure that rattle didn't show up after that big "collision?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:25 AM

Another option is to have them septate that work or itemize it so you can find that part of the work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Here's a slight update on the situation with my Lotus in for body work. The adjuster has looked at the car and has authorized its repair to the tune of $3,430. A pretty staggering sum considering my car was tapped by the other car as light as one could imagine. I'm told the job can take up to 2 weeks so I'll be without my car for a bit more.

Edit: Whoaaa...spoke way too soon. I got a call from the shop and found out that approval was for roughly 50% of the bill to repair the car. So the body shop is going to have to go back and argue for more money before they will start repairing the car.

Sigh.............the saga continues.

Last edited by TERIB; 09-13-2019 at 08:56 AM.

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Any thoughts from the group on what I should do if the insurance company only offers to pay 50% of the cost of repair? Is legal action my only recourse?
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:35 PM

I had damage pretty much exactly the same! I didn't see the person who did it tough.. can't remember exact amount to get it fixed but they do incredible job.. looks perfect now. I think about $1200-$2000 (trying too remember as had a job things done all in one go) Canadian. Get it put on insurance and fixed by a proffesional. Mine was just basically paint cracked which looks similar to yours. Minor repairs to the paint work will not be 'accident History' and effect selling or price. I have scuffs under the front lip of the car too when there are bumps in the road, perfectly normal, which I will get fixed one day and minor body repairs like yours if even that.. a respray. After they look brand new. I also had same repair when someone opened their door on mine. The clam does not to he completely removed for your repair like mine did.

Last edited by Daz01new; 09-13-2019 at 06:54 PM.
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz01new View Post
I had damage pretty much exactly the same! I didn't see the person who did it tough.. can't remember exact amount to get it fixed but they do incredible job.. looks perfect now. I think about $1200-$2000 (trying too remember as had a job things done all in one go) Canadian. Get it put on insurance and fixed by a proffesional. Mine was just basically paint cracked which looks similar to yours. Minor repairs to the paint work will not be 'accident History' and effect selling or price. I have scuffs under the front lip of the car too when there are bumps in the road, perfectly normal, which I will get fixed one day and minor body repairs like yours if even that.. a respray. After they look brand new. I also had same repair when someone opened their door on mine. The clam does not to he completely removed for your repair like mine did.
My situation is way more complicated than yours. For reasons I cannot understand, the body shop says the damage to repair my car is close to $7k. All to repair a tiny scratch! I am in shock and horror over how out of control my repair situation is. The accident happened over 1 month ago and I am not much closer to getting my car back. This is an unmitigated nightmare and I don't know what to do. The insurance company says the repair should cost $3.4k.
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have a good guess at what I should be charged for an estimate by the body shop I took my car to? They removed the rear clam to have a look for damage there. I have an awful feeling that my car is not going to be fixed, and that I'm going to have to pay for the estimate that they provided. 5 weeks after my accident I'm not anywhere close to a resolution.
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

Well I got 3 areas on mine fixed, one similar to yours. Was less than your quote too. A guess but Maximum 2.5k USD
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

This is easy. Make the insurance company pay 7k, pocket the cash, find a body show that will do it for 2500....profit

2007 Exige S - in the works...
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I dont think people understand my question. This is all a guess on my part but I'm trying to be prepared for the worst. The body shop insists on $7k to fix my tiny scratch. The insurance company says they will pay $3k. That is far too much of a difference to bridge. The body shop refuses to repair my car and so I have to pay for the estimate. What is a reasonable amount?

I am really screwed here.
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

i expect that an estimate is typically free. however, if any disassembly was performed, then you may have to pay the shop hourly rate for that. similarly, collision repair shops may also charge a 'storage' fee.

when i crashed my Subaru a few years ago, the body shop held it for 5 weeks and did nothing (using up my rental coverage period). they did not keep me informed, and ultimately when i went to retrieve the car they would not let me take it before making my insurance company pay them for holding the car on their lot and for towing to the lot. i don't have a good amount of trust in strangers when it comes to working on my cars: they stored my car outside, and in spite of clearly visible damage to the timing belt cover and a drained radiator, they drove the car to move it around their lot. if the timing belt had slipped, this would have catastrophically damaged the interference engine. anyway.. i fixed the car with my father's help and still drive it.

i would expect that a body shop only really needs your car's rear clam on site in order to repair it's damage. in that case, what are the chances that you could keep the car at home and carry the clam back and forth? then they would not have an opportunity to store the car outdoors or be tempted to drive it around.. you can borrow my tin foil hat if you'd like too...

Last edited by Obeisance; Today at 02:52 AM.
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old Today, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
i expect that an estimate is typically free. however, if any disassembly was performed, then you may have to pay the shop hourly rate for that. similarly, collision repair shops may also charge a 'storage' fee.

when i crashed my Subaru a few years ago, the body shop held it for 5 weeks and did nothing (using up my rental coverage period). they did not keep me informed, and ultimately when i went to retrieve the car they would not let me take it before making my insurance company pay them for holding the car on their lot and for towing to the lot. i don't have a good amount of trust in strangers when it comes to working on my cars: they stored my car outside, and in spite of clearly visible damage to the timing belt cover and a drained radiator, they drove the car to move it around their lot. if the timing belt had slipped, this would have catastrophically damaged the interference engine. anyway.. i fixed the car with my father's help and still drive it.

i would expect that a body shop only really needs your car's rear clam on site in order to repair it's damage. in that case, what are the chances that you could keep the car at home and carry the clam back and forth? then they would not have an opportunity to store the car outdoors or be tempted to drive it around.. you can borrow my tin foil hat if you'd like too...
I may need a tin foil hat soon...or a straight jacket. I'm going absolutely out of my wits with this situation. It just keeps getting worse and worse and worse......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in