Attention LOA buyers: Beware of creeping dealer profits - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Attention LOA buyers: Beware of creeping dealer profits

When I asked Chris about any additional dealer profit on top of MSRP to cover prep, title, etc., he said it would be $395. Now it's $595. Who knows what it will be later in the year when the cars start to arrive?

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 07:36 AM

Dealer prep is simply a way to generate extra profit. Dealer's get paid by the manufacturer to prep the car, so there shouldn't be any extra charge for that.

Registration fees are whatever your state charges. Shouldn't be any surprises there.

However, dealers like to add on a few hundred dollars and claim that they have installed a special coating to protect the paint or undercoating to protect against rust or whatever. We shouldn't have to put up with that, but it may be part of the game.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 01:23 PM

As to a paint sealent, I tell dealers, not to wash or do anything to the paint on new cars. Most dealers are hacks when it comes to detailing and will damage the paint just washing it. Dirty water, dirty rags leave swirl marks especaially in dark paints. Further if the paint is under 30 days old you will find most paint suppliers recommend not putting sealents or waxes on the car.
For me I always tell the dealer not to wash or detail the car exterior or interior in any way, and DO NOT put your stupid dealer decals or badges on the car!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 09:15 AM

I'm at LOA also, if you would when you guys get your cars post what options and what the price you're paying comes out to so others know we're on the same page. Can you decline dealer prep? Isn't that basically washing and cleaning the car up?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 09:21 AM

Criswell has apparently tacked on a Destination Charge of $795. Is this something that should be considered reasonable?

Of course, if I don't like it, what am I going to do about it?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 09:26 AM

destination charge is standard for all cars, including the Elise.

all Elise buyers will pay $795 destination
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BrokenR1
I'm at LOA also, if you would when you guys get your cars post what options and what the price you're paying comes out to so others know we're on the same page. Can you decline dealer prep? Isn't that basically washing and cleaning the car up?
I believe that they need to add fluids (oil, gas, etc.). Inspect the car to see if it survived shipping ok. Add license plate holder with dealer name on it. Take girlfriend/boyfriend for a quick ride.

I'm not sure if the front license plate area has predrilled holes, but if not, I hope to persuade the dealer not to do anything to it, as I won't be installing my front plate initially (or ever, unless I get caught too often). Wondering if there is an Elise decal on that spot when the cars are shipped?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Win

I think it is very safe to assume some chump moving your car is going to abuse it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 02:21 PM

By the way, there is no dealer markup in the destination charge. The dealer pays $795 and they pass that through to the buyer.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 02:32 PM

I was fully expecting that kind of crap, but hoping LOA was above it -- maybe they are not. I have a signed deal through Chad, but will they just tear it up? Who knows. . . . thanks for the update.

2010 Lotus Evora Launch Ed Liquid Blue w/ Oyster
2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder Pearl White w/ Red
2008 Mini Cooper S Italian Jobs Ed Red w/ Black
2005 Lotus Elise Saffron Yellow Purist Ed w/ Hardtop
2002 Ford Thunderbird Teal with Custom White Hardtop
1997 Porsche Boxster White with Red
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 04:53 PM

I think before we start crucifying dealers, we need to wait and see what the delivered costs are.

Chris

Chris
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zvezdah1
I think before we start crucifying dealers, we need to wait and see what the delivered costs are.

Chris
Many dealers charge for dealer prep and some don't. It's usually a policy that has been in place
for some time, one way or the other. Now, if they charge you for it and you drive off the lot with 1/64th of a tank of gas, I would be pissed. Otherwise I don't see a couple of hundred extra bucks for a
nicely detailed car being a problem. How many Elise cars do you think he sent off the lot today anyway? As the Italians say, 'everyone deserves to wet his beak
a bit'. Just don't use that beak to siphon off my gas!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

My only beef with LOA is that I signed an agreement with them to pay MSRP plus the usual dealer fees, which they first said would only by $395, now it's $595. I'm just afraid they'll keep raising it as time goes on until my car arrives.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 05:11 PM

My point of view:

The elise is a bargain.

I could not be happier.

I am annoyed with the small price increases from $38,500 with dest and leather to now being almost $42,000 (add dest, metallic paint, and touring)

I still want the car.

It is still worth it.

But business is business and a deal is a deal.

Whatever I agreed to on 4/15/03 should be honored 4/15/04 or anytime thereafter.

Case in point I negotiated an MSRP deal no fees, nothing for my H2 HUMMER when they first came out . . . they sold like hotcakes and the company decided to increase the MSRP $1000 and increase all the most popular options (sunroof $995 to $1395, brush guard $425 to $675 etc). I was dying for this vehicle, but a deal is a deal. I demanded what I signed for . . .

I guess this is the advantage of loyalty to a car dealership for over a year. They have my deposit, I have the contract, we should have a deal.

My mistake was not freezing the price . . . they probably would not have gone for it, but worth a shot back then.

Another thing, with the H2 and my rx-8, I signed the contract and gave my deposit with someone who then decides to leave the company . . . then they can't find my paperwork, and I get pushed back, and fees get increased, and personal service gets lost.

Hey I love Lotus, but the dealership is separate, they have to hold up their end of the bargain, right?

2010 Lotus Evora Launch Ed Liquid Blue w/ Oyster
2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder Pearl White w/ Red
2008 Mini Cooper S Italian Jobs Ed Red w/ Black
2005 Lotus Elise Saffron Yellow Purist Ed w/ Hardtop
2002 Ford Thunderbird Teal with Custom White Hardtop
1997 Porsche Boxster White with Red
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LOTUdaGround
. . . then they can't find my paperwork
You didn't keep a signed copy? I've got my copy that says MSRP but I've got to reread it to see what it implies towards other fees.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 06:40 PM

My original contact when I left my deposit about a year ago says MSRP subject to availability on it since they didnt want to promise me the car in case they couldnt get it.

When I went to sign the order again when I went to order the color and options I questioned the $199 dealer prep fee and said I wanted theat deleted since my contract said MSRP.

They said that is charged on all cars they sell (it is clearly marked in all their newspaper ads so they werent lying) and they cant waive it since they give the money to the guys that clean and prep the car. So it will be interesting to see what happens when I got to pick up the car. If I complain about the fee, then they will say the car is not available, so I guess I'm out of luck and will have to pay it.

Maybe I can get them to give me free foglights or a few oil changes instead. In any case the dealership had a party when they got a Euro demo and is having another one when they get their regular one in and I'm sure my food and booze tab must have come close to that anyway. Besides when I first gave them my deposit, they didnt have any Elises so they took me out for a drive in a new Esprit for about half an hour- IMO that was worth $200 alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in