Battery Life with ODB Bluetooth device plugged in - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmbridgen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Battery Life with ODB Bluetooth device plugged in

I have a OBD bluetooth device, specifically a OBDLink MX that I pair with Harry's LapTimer. As the power on the device stays on with the keys removed, I was wondering if anyone has experience with leaving this plugged in and a sense of how long you might be able to go before you risk draining your battery.

I understand it depends on the battery size, etc. I just wondered if I drive the car approx weekly, if any one has experience that says it will be fine going "7" days.

While I have read dead batteries on an Elise should not effect a custom tuned ECU, as I have a custom tuned ECU, I would prefer not to risk a dead battery opening up that can of worms.

Thanks in advance,
John

2005 Lotus Elise, Nightfall Blue Metallic with Katana2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:55 PM

Garage
I think you are safe to leave it plugged in. According to their site "BatterySaver™ Technology - Plug it in, leave it in — without the danger of draining your vehicle’s battery. Fully automatic sleep and wake-up: does not require switches or manual button presses!" I was looking on their site OBDLink® MX Bluetooth | OBDLink® | OBD Solutions I am thinking of getting one of these. Have you had it and are you happy with it? I have a $12 unit off or Amazon that has worked well but I am not sure if a more expensive unit might be more responsive. I use Torque and there is a slightly perceptible lag on the tachometer.

With my low cost unit, I can go two weeks with it plugged in and my car still starts without a battery tender attached.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I will leave it connected and post if there are any issues.

To date I have only used it to play around with the LapTimer app and yes I have been very happy with it during that limited usage.

I have not been on the track/AX yet as I got a late start on working on the car and just re-did the brake lines, brake fluid, pads over the past few weeks and just put RE71R's on the car last weekend so the good news is it is ready to go in the very near future.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:08 AM

Garage
Perfect! Thanks for the update and good luck!

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:11 AM

I have one that has been installed in my Evora and it has been plugged in for almost 2yrs and I haven't seen any abnormal drain. They should basically go into a "coma" after a few minutes of the car being turned off. I have also left it in my Elise with no ill effects when I first purchased the reader. I use a Go Point reader and it operates just like yours is stated to.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the confirmation. I now see the manual does talk about a Battery Saver function and after plugging it in and leaving it for a bit, I now see the LED's are out. Thanks to you both for your input.
RapidLotus likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Well after one day the battery is not dead . The cool thing I found is the S/W that comes with the OBDLink MX let's you build a digital dashboard of gauges using many parameters (Boost, Speed, Temps, etc) that works well on the phone.

Also, I was happy to see I can booth stream music AND keep the connection to the OBDLink MX at the same time. So that might be helpful for others to think about as to why they MUST have this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Garage
My steering wheel mounted table running Torque Pro Android app. Fully customizable and gets all measurements available on the ECU and also the tablet (time, gps, accelerometers, etc). I can also put my phone in the same mount. Another option is the Tackform arms which are super rigid and priced less than $50. I can make the steering wheel mount if anyone is interested.
Attached Images

Central Florida
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

InfernoLotus that looks pretty cool. I assume you have the airbag disabled? I would hate to think what would happen if it went off.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

As an additional benefit of the OBDLink MX device....When the check engine light came on yesterday, it was easy to confirm what it was to determine if it was safe to continue to drive...off to get a new O2 sensor
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbridgen View Post
InfernoLotus that looks pretty cool. I assume you have the airbag disabled? I would hate to think what would happen if it went off.
Actually no airbag at this time. The aftermarket hub and steering wheel replace the original wheel and airbag. Shaves another 8oz off the car weight too.

Central Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in