Battery options - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Battery options

I'm looking for an AGM battery to replace the third battery in three years for my 05 Elise. (yes, I know, I don't drive my Elise much so I finally bought a Deltran to maintain my next one)

Do any of these fit into the stock holding bracket? if so, which one would you recommend between them?

PC925MJT Odyssey PC925MJT Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

PC1200MJT Odyssey PC1200MJT Battery: BatteryMart.com

9A35/85 9A35/85 AGM Battery: BatteryMart.com

MAR-9AGM47 9AGM47 Maintenance Free AGM Battery: BatteryMart.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:04 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85percent View Post
I'm looking for an AGM battery to replace the third battery in three years for my 05 Elise. (yes, I know, I don't drive my Elise much so I finally bought a Deltran to maintain my next one)

Do any of these fit into the stock holding bracket? if so, which one would you recommend between them?

PC925MJT Odyssey PC925MJT Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

PC1200MJT Odyssey PC1200MJT Battery: BatteryMart.com

9A35/85 9A35/85 AGM Battery: BatteryMart.com

MAR-9AGM47 9AGM47 Maintenance Free AGM Battery: BatteryMart.com
They're all so heavy I couldn't recommend any of them for an Elige.

There are decently light batteries that won't break the bank (Deka, Big Crank). Do a search on ETX-18L, ETX-20L and check the dimensions.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 05:55 AM

Garage
I have a Optima Yellow Top D35 for my Elise. Fits perfectly fine. I mean it weighs "a lot," but I didn't want to make or buy a custom bracket. Waste of time and money. Big whoop... 20 lbs more than the lightest battery offered for the Elise. Not a SIGNIFICANT weight difference.

By the way did you refer to this: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f321...rmation-64071/ because I'm assuming it doesn't fit in the stock holding bracket based on, "*requires custom bracket"

[FONT="Georgia"]05' Lotus Elise Storm Titanium

"I am going to finish what I have started"
"I don't want revenge, I want justice."
"You kill innocent people. Sometimes murder is justice."

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusSG2057 View Post
I have a Optima Yellow Top D35 for my Elise. Fits perfectly fine. I mean it weighs "a lot," but I didn't want to make or buy a custom bracket. Waste of time and money. Big whoop... 20 lbs more than the lightest battery offered for the Elise. Not a SIGNIFICANT weight difference.

By the way did you refer to this: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f321...rmation-64071/ because I'm assuming it doesn't fit in the stock holding bracket based on, "*requires custom bracket"
My battery 4.9 lbs w/540 cca with 36 Ah lithium ion so yeah it's very significant weight difference. Holds charge and cranks every time i go to use it which is every week or two. Makes up for all the extra cheese burgers i eat
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Do a search on ETX-18L, ETX-20L and check the dimensions.

San
I have had an ETX-20L in my Exige for about 2.5 years now. It was inexpensive and has been as reliable as the two previous batteries. It was a direct replacement for a Braille 2015...same size, weight and zap.

The ETX-20L replaced a Braille 2015 (I replaced it at three years) that replaced the OEM battery (I replaced it at five years).

If you drive the car infrequently, it would be a good idea to plug the battery into a smart charger to extend its life by ensuring that it doesn't get drained to death.

My logic was that if plan to keep the car plugged in when parked (for more than 3+ days) then why not switch to a smaller battery and shave a lot of weight that is located in the worst possible place for weight distribution and handling (behind the rear axle)? The OEM battery is a pig and provides overkill capacity if you use a charger.

2006 Exige - Phantom Black

Last edited by Lotusmotion; 10-13-2015 at 07:26 AM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 07:24 AM
not your dad's puns

Can you use plain ol' chargers on non-lead acid chemistries? I know LiPoly require special circuits.

because racecar
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:28 AM
anglophile in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopun View Post
Can you use plain ol' chargers on non-lead acid chemistries? I know LiPoly require special circuits.
The one I have just uses a regular charger (or did until the charger failed... then the battery went completely dead... and is now unrecoverable).

My fault... should drive more!!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopun View Post
LiFePO4 have a "close enough" charge voltage to good old Pb batteries that unless the charger tries to do something fancy, a normal charger works, albeit not optimally. To get a true 100% charge would require a balance charger with the correct current map/curve and access to each cell (I think the fancier LiFePO4 batteries like Shorai have these available), but the LiFePO4 batteries still provide plenty of cranking current (and last longer!) when charged below capacity by a lead-acid charger / the car's alternator.

In general a lead-acid tender is a bad idea for them as they degrade quickly if they're floated fully charged. I just use a cutoff switch when I'm not driving the car, I've had my LiFePO4 battery for 2 years now, and it still works fine, but for people who do extended storage a dedicated LiFePO4 charger is probably a good investment.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 11:22 AM

I love LIFE batteries. They actually hold their charge for a looooooong time and can be stored topped off without ill effects. I do a lot of RC flying and use LIFE packs in my transmitters instead of alkaline or lipo's. They hold a charge for so long and I don't have to worry about putting a storage charge on them and leaving them topped off damaging the battery. Only problem with them is that they will drop in voltage like a brick at a certain point much faster than other battery types and you need to watch out for that. I didn't even realize they had LIFE car batteries. Gotta look into that! I currently run a optima red top battery and it fits the stock battery tie down but its certainly not the lightest by a long shot.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 01:59 PM

I use this one. Alien Motion Lithium Battery - LiFePo4 Lightweight Power Sports Battery One year anniversary and no problems but treat it gently by using a cutoff switch. Also purchased their charger and give the battery a balance charge once every other month. Battery is extremely light and uses the battery hold down that came on the Odyssey PC925 that was in my Exige (with a supplied foam pad).

2008 Solar Yellow Exige S240 (Torque 300)
1991 Elan M100
2015 Cayman GTS
2016 Ford Flex--Tow Vehicle
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 02:29 PM
The Enforcer

The OP specifically asked for an AGM. That's what I recommended. Deka and Big Crank are the same as Braille. All made by East Penn.

San
Glen likes this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 PM

There are a couple different pairs of odyssey batteries and Lotus brackets from the various vendors, so I'd steer that way (I have the bracket that came with my BOE clam hinge and the appropriate Odyssey battery but I don't recall the model number).

For @DDJ74 and others like me who tend not to care about 20lbs, AGM batteries are cheap, lightER, and above all else allow you to ditch the factory mounting system which is an absolute abomination. That clamp is terrible and should not be allowed by any tech inspection for track or autox. Even if you have it tight, the trunk floor can flex and let the battery loose to terrorize your clamshell. There are enough threads on it (and I've had it happen, too) to establish my distaste of the stupid thing.

So that kind of insurance for the rear clam is hardly more expensive that the heavier options, even after the cost of the bracket. Definitely worth it and one of the greatest disappointments in lotus' engineering dept. Second to deciding to use their chosen suppliers for oil line clamps and radiators.

Plus you get marginally more storage space which is already at a premium.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 04:22 AM
Arch. Project Manager

I've used the Odyssey PC680 for around 2yrs now with no issues. If it sits for more than three or 4 days I'll either cut it off or put a battery tender on it.

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:50 AM

I went with a Braille battery and the RLS bracket a few years back. It's worked great so far.

2006 Lotus Elise
2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcat151 View Post
I went with a Braille battery and the RLS bracket a few years back. It's worked great so far.
I have a braille battery as well and love it.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 07:47 PM

reviving an old thread, any suggestions for a battery that will fit into the stock holding bracket? if so, which one would you recommend ?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise
1971 Porsche 914
1992 Porsche 928 GTS (sold)
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:00 PM
glb

Go to East Penn site, as San mentioned. You'll find direct replacement.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:48 AM

I have used an Optima Red Top over the last several years. Still going strong and starts up every time. It's been on a tender since last June but I do occasionally start the car up when I need to move it out of the garage every now and then, no issues and the battery health is still good. I did not have to order a special bracket as the stock one fit perfectly. It is a little heavier than the stock black battery by 9lbs but I'm no track rat and am fine with it.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:00 PM

I've used all kinds of batteries, but they all eventually die unless you can prevent them from being discharged. What has been more useful for me than trickle charging is a battery cutoff switch like the kind a few forum sponsors sell, or otherwise get one made for boats.

My current PC680 has lasted 3-4 years with a cutoff switch.

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 PM

I don't know if it fits in the stock battery box, but the Shorai 36 works pretty well. I'm trying to keep it on the tender but I've left it 4 or 5 days without hesitation.

When it comes to the Amp hour figures on these lithium batteries, even the manufacturers told me to cut those numbers in half.
So on my 36aH equivelent, thats probably more like 18 real amp hours which is probably in line with your typical 4 cyl. Still may be slightly smaller in terms of reserve capacity, but this battery could most likely provide enough cranking amps to start a bus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in