Boost source for tuner - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Boost source for tuner

Hi everyone, my tuner wants to be able to measure boost directly instead of just reading off the MAP.

I have an elise with the SSC supercharger kit including the charge cooler setup.

Unfortunately, there isn't a valve or fitting in the manifold to tap off. I would have tried putting a mishimoto coupler at the arrow in the pic but there isn't enough room between the clamps for the bung to fit.

I've been suggested to put a tee in the vacuum line from the supercharger bypass valve but from reading other posts, this is just vacuum and not boost.

Any suggestions welcome!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:28 PM

This is what I have used before. You could probably get this to fit somewhere post intercooler, maybe in the 90 degree coupling?

https://store.034motorsport.com/quic...um-nipple.html

If you cant get that to fit, then just weld a bung onto the intercooler pipe just before the intake manifold.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:09 PM

I'm not familiar with your setup; is your intercooler under pressure (boost) or suction? If pressure then it appears the 90-degree metal tube to the right of your arrow is a good location. Just take it off and have someone weld a threaded bung to it.

Alternatively, what is the black thing sticking out of your intercooler? Can you take that out and thread a pressure sensor in?

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottH83 View Post
This is what I have used before. You could probably get this to fit somewhere post intercooler, maybe in the 90 degree coupling?

https://store.034motorsport.com/quic...um-nipple.html

If you cant get that to fit, then just weld a bung onto the intercooler pipe just before the intake manifold.

Thx Scott! the nipple looks flat. does that work well with curved interior of a coupling? i might be able to fit something like that where the arrow is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post
I'm not familiar with your setup; is your intercooler under pressure (boost) or suction? If pressure then it appears the 90-degree metal tube to the right of your arrow is a good location. Just take it off and have someone weld a threaded bung to it.

Alternatively, what is the black thing sticking out of your intercooler? Can you take that out and thread a pressure sensor in?
trying to avoid taking the rear clam off. �� this photo was taken last year. the charge cooler is under boost.

I've been told the charge cooler black thing is used to drain the coolant. however, it's hard to reach with the clam on anyway. ��

Last edited by noisuf; 06-29-2019 at 09:04 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:48 AM

That nipple will need to be in a flat section of the hose coupler. Plus you need to get a wrench on it from the inside which will be difficult in thr middle of a bend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in