Do I install a Rev300 of buy an OEM SC - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Do I install a Rev300 of buy an OEM SC

After some opinions.

Do I install a Rev300 or do I sell my current car and buy an OEM SC/Elige?

Disclosure:
I dont plan to keep this car forever unfortunately because I am only in the US for a couple more years. So this is more for what makes financial sense. If I was keeping it I would just install the Rev300. I also feel stock cars are getting less common so would be nice to keep it standard.

05 Elise.
Clean title. 38kmiles, Extremely well maintained. 2 owners, all records
Completely stock visually but have done reliability improvements, Radiator, oil/water heat exchanger, cams are good, braidedbrake lines, alarm, seat padding.

Questions:
What would my car with a BOE Rev300 be worth?
Whats an OEM SC car worth? I hardly ever see them come up.

Im guessing my car would be worth $30-32k. BEO is $7k then it would probably only be worth $34-35k?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:12 PM

The OEM SC will hold the value more since Lotus made only a few. If you are planning on selling in a few years, I would buy one with a factory SC.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:33 PM

The factory supercharger will be slower then NA on the track, so theres that...

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:03 PM

think about $4600 Ca Sales tax if you want to get into another car...

just get the BOE, you'll end up spending less.

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen White
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
The factory supercharger will be slower then NA on the track, so theres that...
Sounds like this has been discussed before, but is there a simple reason why more power with a wider power curve and with little weight penalty does not equal quicker times?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:04 PM

or get an OE supercharger kit for your current car, that will be more valuable at sales time.

2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST233 View Post
Sounds like this has been discussed before, but is there a simple reason why more power with a wider power curve and with little weight penalty does not equal quicker times?
Heat

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:59 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST233 View Post
The factory supercharger (MP45) is very small, isn't intercooled and heat soaks quickly. The extra weight just adds insult to injury.

OP, if you want a supercharger that will make your Elise considerably faster, the REV300/400 is the way to go. Some with the factory supercharger have considered removing it, so that should give you an idea of how effective it is(n't).

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

All great information thanks.

I hadnt considered CA tax which is a great point.

I think my big questions now are,
Is this legal in CA, (would my insurance cover it or are you not allowed performance modifications)
Do they reliably pass CA smog (read a few things and it seems fine).
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-a-number View Post
All great information thanks.

I hadnt considered CA tax which is a great point.

I think my big questions now are,
Is this legal in CA, (would my insurance cover it or are you not allowed performance modifications)
Do they reliably pass CA smog (read a few things and it seems fine).
OEM supercharger will be Ca Legal. That is your only choice.

2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:37 PM

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...r-elise-exige/

Lotus owners who regretted picking up a naturally aspirated Elise or Exige instead of the blown Elise SC and Exige S models can now buy a factory-approved supercharger.

The Lotus kit comes with a full warranty, is 50-state emissions legal, and can be bolted onto any Lotus employing Toyota’s 1.8-liter 2ZZ-GE engine. The supercharger combines with larger fuel injectors and a remapped engine computer to yield 218 hp and 155 lb-ft of torque at 5000 rpm. Stock Elise engines produce 189 hp and 133 lb-ft at a lofty 6800 rpm.

Output with the supercharger is equal to that of an Elise SC and should give drivers of older Elises a huge dollop of go. The supercharger kit costs $4950 and can be installed at any Lotus dealership in North America.

Edit: Price is way higher now.

2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:29 PM

I don’t track my car so the heat soak doesn’t matter to me. My car with the factory supercharger is way faster than the stock. I have done a couple of early morning back road quick races and I have beat them. It all depends what use you are going to give it.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:35 PM

I have also driven both and mine with the SC feels faster at every RPM. Also, the sound is intoxicating. For the kind of use you are going to give it and the expected time of ownership, I would get a factory SC Elise and keep it stock.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:48 PM
The Enforcer

This subject has been discussed before. Bear in mind some feel they need to defend their purchase instead of objectively discussing it. When someone with the SC Elise states it isn't worth it, that's probably something you should listen to. Check this thread, which is fairly recent. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...argers-468904/

Instead of looking for a SC Elise, it would make more sense to look for an SC Exige. The stock MP62 has enough headroom to support ~300 hp (crank) with some supporting parts and a tune. It isn't as good as the REV300/400, but it's stock, so it will pass CA inspections (mine has for 8 years), will hold value well and provide very good performance. IMHO, the REV300/400 need a built motor to take full advantage of their capabilities.

San
glb likes this.

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
This subject has been discussed before. Bear in mind some feel they need to defend their purchase instead of objectively discussing it. When someone with the SC Elise states it isn't worth it, that's probably something you should listen to. Check this thread, which is fairly recent. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...argers-468904/

Instead of looking for a SC Elise, it would make more sense to look for an SC Exige. The stock MP62 has enough headroom to support ~300 hp (crank) with some supporting parts and a tune. It isn't as good as the REV300/400, but it's stock, so it will pass CA inspections (mine has for 8 years), will hold value well and provide very good performance. IMHO, the REV300/400 need a built motor to take full advantage of their capabilities.

San
Interesting fact, the stock exige is ALSO slower then an elise if it's hot enough....
Kubera likes this.

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Interesting fact, the stock exige is ALSO slower then an elise if it's hot enough....
Do you mean the NA Exige, or the 220 Exige S? Either way that is quite interesting.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun916 View Post
Do you mean the NA Exige, or the 220 Exige S? Either way that is quite interesting.
Exige S, fixible easily with just a tune, but the stock programming is too aggressive with the timing retard from IAT and you can see super high IAT's easy in TX.
Varun916 likes this.

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:08 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Exige S, fixible easily with just a tune, but the stock programming is too aggressive with the timing retard from IAT and you can see super high IAT's easy in TX.
I think inventing a worst-case scenario (for the Exige S) would be an interesting experiment to perform. I'm certainly not saying it isn't possible that the Elise might be quicker, as sitting at rest in extremely high temperatures for an extended period of time might fully heat-soak the Exige IC, and the Exige is heavier as well. That said, I don't think the Elise would be quicker for long. I think the Exige S would reel in the Elise fairly quickly, even if given a a lead.

You did say stock, so that leaves some areas for improvement for the Exige S. I've gone to a full mohawk roof (carbon), supplemented the roof cooling with side scoop cooling (Reverie carbon scoops and RLS carbon 3-chamber shroud), and installed the RLS carabon IC heat shield with the NASA-designed gold thermal foil. I added the Blade 300 kit (RLS IC, tune, injectors, pulley, Cup air box) as well.

San

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:24 PM

On a high 90s day with good drivers driving both cars with similar tires the Exige S lost 3 consecutive dragraces down the COTA back stretch against 2 different cars with 2 different drivers. This was a car with an upgraded intercooler, but importantly, the stock programming, which fully retards the timing at an impossible to avoid 160 degrees and starts at like 130?

Last edited by kfennell; 08-04-2019 at 06:42 PM.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:56 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
On a high 90s day with good drivers driving both cars with similar tires the Exige S lost 3 consecutive dragraces down the COTA back stretch against 2 different cars with 2 different drivers. This was a car with an upgraded intercooler, but importantly, the stock programming, which fully retards the timing at an impossible to avoid 160 degrees and starts at like 130?
I think that's very interesting, and I can't say why that's the case. If I were to guess I'd say possibly because of emissions/noise levels, but that's just a guess. I only had the stock setup for a few months. I thought the car was quick, but I wanted more power.

I have a deposit on the 2020 BMW S1000RR. It has received great reviews, but those reviews were from Europe with the European ECU and settings. Turns out the bike has been severly neutered for the US market. Emissions and noise levels are the culprits from what I've read. The only fix so far is an aftermarket tune, which voids the warranty. Perhaps something similar forced the Exige tune to be compromised.

San

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in