3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jetblast
  • 1 Post By gbrecke
  • 1 Post By Lotus 07

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
George B.

Do you recognize this connector??

I was positive I'd remember what every connector on the engine harness was on my 2005 Elise, but I was wrong

It's a square plug with 4 pins, but only one has a wire on it. If anyone can tell me what it's for I'd be thrilled to know. It comes out of the cable like it was to be connected on the front of the engine, this is the only one that doesn't have a home.

Thanks in advance,

George
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:49 PM

I am guessing here so bare with me, could it be the a/c compressor, if not that maybe the knock sensor plug. 😆

Boe REV 300 Supercharger.
Boe DMC Ultimate header.
Boe Clam Hinge.
Boe Pro Alloy Radiator.
Boe TOC wet sump oil pan.
Boe Fuel surge tank.
Boe Oil catch can.
Boe HP fixed rotors with Ferodo DS 2500 pads.
BWR Larini Group B Muffler.
BWR Street/Track Anti roll bar.
Mocal rear mounted oil cooler.
V2 steering arms,
Nitron Singles 425/550.
InoKinetic DS rear toe links.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
George B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRG53 View Post
I am guessing here so bare with me, could it be the a/c compressor, if not that maybe the knock sensor plug. 😆
Thanks for your interest GRG53!

The knock sensor is a two wire connection
The AC connector is also two wire
The Alternator is 3 wire

All of the above are connected.

This is a 4 pin connector shell, with one wire, and the other 3 pins have a rubber seal where the wire would go through to indicate it's intentional and to keep the innards clean i'd imagine.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Garage
Color or colors of the single wire? Are the pictures looking up with the diffuser/pan removed or looking down?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
George B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRG53 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Color or colors of the single wire? Are the pictures looking up with the diffuser/pan removed or looking down?
A single RED wire with a white tracer. The picture is taken looking down in front of the engine, BOE hinge installed, clam tilted up. 4 pin shell, and one wire, the other three holes have factory supplied plugs in the holes where the wires would be routed if used.

Last edited by gbrecke; 06-15-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: I missed the fact that the lead is red with a white tracer!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
George B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrecke View Post
A single RED wire with a white tracer. The picture is taken looking down in front of the engine, BOE hinge installed, clam tilted up. 4 pin shell, and one wire, the other three holes have factory supplied plugs in the holes where the wires would be routed if used.
Looking at the harness, this (Red lead with white tracer) comes out of the harness with several other leads, one being the sensor just above the oil filter.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
George B.

Here's a better orientation, the picture was taken from the passenger side of the car looking down on the radiator hose connected to the thermostat housing. in this picture you can see the rubber plugs in the other three holes in the connector shell.
Attached Images

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:32 AM

Garage
George, I have an early 2005 Federal Elise with the clam open and lower pan removed. I just took a look and I didn't see a connector like this anywhere on my car, but I have deleted the A/C from my car. I looked through the wiring diagrams (05MY) and I only saw one RW wire (red with white stripe) on the car (sheet 8) for instrument panel illumination. The diagram does show A/C compressor to have a single RS wire (Red with Slate stripe) on sheet 10. The only other thing that might remotely be in the area is an RK wire (red with pink stripe) for the boot switch for the alarm (sheet 4). I'll attempt to attach the diagrams below in case you don't have them.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Elise Wiring Diagram - elise_north_america_05MY Sheet-8.pdf (208.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf Elise Wiring Diagram - elise_north_america_05MY Sheet-4.pdf (223.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf Elise Wiring Diagram - elise_north_america_05MY Sheet-10.pdf (264.2 KB, 14 views)
gbrecke likes this.

2005 Ardent Red Elise, Gut Sport wing & splitter, custom diffuser, Sector111: DSBrace, gPan3, subStuffy2, Larini Sport muffler, decat pipe, Schroth Racing 5 pts, wheel studs, Team Dynamics 1.2 with Hoosier A6s, Koldflash 200 ECU flash, BOE rear clam hinge, BC Racing single adjustables, Hawk pads, SS Brake Lines, HID lights, custom tail and high mount brake light...and much more...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
George B.

Thanks Jetblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblast View Post
George, I have an early 2005 Federal Elise with the clam open and lower pan removed. I just took a look and I didn't see a connector like this anywhere on my car, but I have deleted the A/C from my car. I looked through the wiring diagrams (05MY) and I only saw one RW wire (red with white stripe) on the car (sheet 8) for instrument panel illumination. The diagram does show A/C compressor to have a single RS wire (Red with Slate stripe) on sheet 10. The only other thing that might remotely be in the area is an RK wire (red with pink stripe) for the boot switch for the alarm (sheet 4). I'll attempt to attach the diagrams below in case you don't have them.
Jetblast, thank you for your help, I didn't want to put the supercharger back on and then find out this connector had a home I couldn't reach. It's a rather unique use of a four pin connector. This AM I have natural light to look at that tracer again and verify it's white. I think it's now a safe bet I can live with it unplugged for the moment. Thank you for the drawings, they are now part of my reference.
Jetblast likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:49 AM

I took a look at a 2006. It does plug into the AC compressor.
Also found a picture of a compressor to verify.
Attached Images

gbrecke likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
George B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 07 View Post
I took a look at a 2006. It does plug into the AC compressor.
Also found a picture of a compressor to verify.
Excellent!

Following is how I deceived myself!

Looking down I saw the two pin connector firmly seated into the AC Compressor, I did not run my fingers along the lead to discover that it is an adapter! Sure enough, well out of sight and only found by probing fingers is the other end of the adapter, the mate for that square 4 pin plug!

Thanks to all for your help, I guess this means I should be glad I'm not paid to be a mechanic.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in