The dreaded “cup holder” thread - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Hi all,

I’ve been wanting an On Rails Engineering (ORE) double cup holder for my Elise (one of my wife’s complaints and it’s an easy way to entice her to ride with me). I’ve reached out to them via phone, e-mail, messaging in a forum, etc. Nothing. It’s like he walked away from the whole thing but forgot to turn his website off.

Anyway, I just missed out on a used one if the marketplace 😬. My question is this....does anyone else make one that’s similar? I’ve seen single cup holders that go in various places but I want one that slides in, out of the way, but can be pulled out for use. Any suggestions?
jskrebs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:28 AM
Sold my Exige S

I think lowtush departed our car scene years ago. Most of ORE's products for Lotus and non-Lotus have been out of stock for just as long.

You'll have to post in the Wanted section for a sliding double cup holder. No one makes those anymore that I've seen.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:51 AM

Not ideal but I recently bought one like this for my Evora. It hasn't come in yet so I can let you know if it works out well or not as an alternative.

You can see it around the 6:30 mark -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinater View Post
Hi all,

Iíve been wanting an On Rails Engineering (ORE) double cup holder for my Elise (one of my wifeís complaints and itís an easy way to entice her to ride with me). Iíve reached out to them via phone, e-mail, messaging in a forum, etc. Nothing. Itís like he walked away from the whole thing but forgot to turn his website off.

Anyway, I just missed out on a used one if the marketplace 😬. My question is this....does anyone else make one thatís similar? Iíve seen single cup holders that go in various places but I want one that slides in, out of the way, but can be pulled out for use. Any suggestions?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:05 AM
Jeff Krebs

I got one a few years back and you assumption is correct.
The wife will be much more agreeable to ride along with a cup holder.

Jeff Krebs
Westport, Pa
2005 Lotus CO Elise
1985 Saab 900T
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskrebs View Post
I got one a few years back and you assumption is correct.
The wife will be much more agreeable to ride along with a cup holder.
Wife or cup holder?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 AM

I don't know if a double cup holder is your only option but here is one I've been thinking of getting that a few other members have used. It uses the screw on your center console near the foot well to mount and folds back up when not in use. I've been on the fence because I honestly don't know if I want my wife to bring drinks into the car and risk of spillage lol. I tell her only bottles are aloud and shes been fine with that.

https://www.ebay.com/i/122028835303?chn=ps

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:52 AM

I am always so mystified by these guys who make stuff then stop. All the work is in the planning and setup, the actual making of things is the easy part.

The first length of material would be paid for after selling the first 2 or 3, then your profit is about ow fast you can make them
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
I am always so mystified by these guys who make stuff then stop. All the work is in the planning and setup, the actual making of things is the easy part.

The first length of material would be paid for after selling the first 2 or 3, then your profit is about ow fast you can make them
I agree. I don’t understand why you’d just walk away from it all after the pain and suffering getting it up and running. There has to be more to the story...

I reached out to the guy who makes the Looney cup holder...the single one that, like the ORE double version, slides out from under the a/c controls. He has temporarily stopped manufacturing them due to government programs being terminated which affected his manufacturing somehow. So....another dead end. 😕
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Terry

Quote:

That's because the market is very small and it is hard to make a good profit for the time putting in.

The forum mods also discourage group buys from the makers. As a maker, it is impossible to test the water before paying $1000 worth of sponsorship fee. That's why small companies and individual makers don't last long in the lotus community. With that being said, I have a lot of respect for Shinoo from Inokinetic and Greg from GRP for their ability and consistency of brining quality stuff and new inventions to our community.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:37 PM

[Looks over shoulder to make sure wife isn't watching...]

If your wife is riding with you, problem solved - you have a cup holder in the passenger seat!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

You don’t know my wife. <—appropriate this looks like a black eye. Lol
scramer likes this.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:25 PM

I've been pretty happy with the BWR one...Holds in place really well, and easy to put away when i don't want it.

The Inokinetic one is just as easy. It's a little more difficult to put in and remove. But the springs help it hold more types of beverages vs the BWR one.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:42 PM
2005 Graphite Grey Elise

Same experience. I emailed them about it but have not gotten a response.

Conversely, I ordered their HID projector upgrade a few weeks ago and it shipped the next day. So they are definitely still around. Not sure why they arent answering emails though.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t955152 View Post
That's because the market is very small and it is hard to make a good profit for the time putting in.

The forum mods also discourage group buys from the makers. As a maker, it is impossible to test the water before paying $1000 worth of sponsorship fee. That's why small companies and individual makers don't last long in the lotus community. With that being said, I have a lot of respect for Shinoo from Inokinetic and Greg from GRP for their ability and consistency of brining quality stuff and new inventions to our community.
Trust me, I have made a living for the better part of 30 years on small volume parts, there is no reason for it

Last edited by exigegus; 01-16-2019 at 04:51 AM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinBears View Post
Same experience. I emailed them about it but have not gotten a response.

Conversely, I ordered their HID projector upgrade a few weeks ago and it shipped the next day. So they are definitely still around. Not sure why they arent answering emails though.
go figure. Crappy way to do business, if you ask me. If you’re not selling the cup holder anymore, fine, just say so. I’m almost at the point where if they say they have em, I’ll tell them to go take a hike.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Anyone ever tried this one? It slides under/over your floor mat which holds it in place. Can easily be removed any time.

https://mossmiata.com/1990-1997-miat...e-drink-holder
steelypip likes this.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinater View Post
Anyone ever tried this one? It slides under/over your floor mat which holds it in place. Can easily be removed any time.

https://mossmiata.com/1990-1997-miat...e-drink-holder
Makes sense that Miata people have the same cupholder problem Lotus people do. Given the amount of flat floor space on my Elise compared to the lack of space available everywhere else, this seems like a reasonable compromise - easily removed, simple, goes somewhere we actually have space available, and will hold a decent sized thermal mug.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 AM

I used a roll of Gorilla tape when I drove down to LOG in NJ

worked perfect
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
I used a roll of Gorilla tape when I drove down to LOG in NJ

worked perfect
Yeah, I've done that, too, notably in my '65 Chevy Van for long drives. It works very well because the roll of tape is heavy and has a low CG and the edge of the roll is sticky. Eventually figured out that a cheapie hang from the window lip cup holder will clip into the ash tray door and switched to that.

Honestly, I'm a little prissier about the interior of the Lotus than that...
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post

Honestly, I'm a little prissier about the interior of the Lotus than that...
Well, duh, that is why gorilla tape, it is brown unlike duct tape which would be tacky.....

And you just set it on a used dunkin wrapper to keep it from sticking to the carpet.

effective and stylish
steelypip likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in