Dual Exhaust Above Diffuser Rear Panel Help - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Dual Exhaust Above Diffuser Rear Panel Help

Alright Lotustalkers, I need a little help. I want to get an above the diffuser dual exhaust rear panel set-up and I need some clarity on the parts required. I know there are some other threads about this, but I don't see one that confirms the info I need.

My current rear license panel is 28" and I don't believe this works with the Diffuser Grills B117A0149F and B117A0150F. I believe I need to replace my licence panel with A121B0036F Panel, licence plate mounting, square plate, 540mm wide. Can anyone confirm for me that's done this modification? Also if you've done the mod, can you tell the inside dimension from exhaust tip hole to exhaust tip hole?

It appears that there is only one version of the Diffuser Support plate F120A0082F and Support Plate Assy A121A0043J, so I don't think I need to change anything there, but if someone can confirm that it would also help.

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 10:13 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Your tag bracket is definitely wider and it does look like that would probably interfere with the exhaust tips. I didn't even know they had a wider license plate panel. But like you said, before ordering it, find someone to measure the width of the exhaust holes to make sure yours wouldn't work. When I tried to order the euro exhaust grills they were on massive back order so I used snips and cut the circles in my current grills.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

@TachItUp @Giantmcm @urBan_dK @ulao @Corvus13 @danielescobarg @XtinctElise @CXRK I hate to be that guy with the tagging (sorry if violated any forum rules), but I see from some previous posts that perhaps you guys did this mod. Can you offer any insight question above?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 12:22 AM

I have a 2005 Fed Elise, and my middle license plate area width is around 21 1/8” wide. I also happen to have the Euro grills that I haven’t installed laying around (Part #s B117A0149F and B117A0150F). I propped them up on my car and they appear to be the correct size for my car. Although the picture I provided doesn't do any jutice to show the fitment, I hope this info helps.
Attached Images

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 12:45 AM

I thought you might be interested in another measurement. The total estimated width between the inner circles for the right and left Euro exhaust holes is 26 1/8” (5" collectively from the left & right grills, and 21 1/8" center license plate piece).
Attached Images

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:23 AM

This is a revelation for me. I have always liked the euro-style exhaust and have considered making the change. For 2007, the rear license plate panel was evidently widened to accommodate the bumperettes which closed the 2.5 mph impact exemption. You have one of the first 100 that were built with the wider panel but without the bumperettes - I have the same condition, VIN 30067. If the 2007 panel configuration had attach points common to the previous years, you may be able to retrofit the narrower 2005/6 panel. It could be confirmed by finding the earlier panels/grills (from a rear panel delete?) and doing a fit check.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitwood View Post
This is a revelation for me. I have always liked the euro-style exhaust and have considered making the change. For 2007, the rear license plate panel was evidently widened to accommodate the bumperettes which closed the 2.5 mph impact exemption. You have one of the first 100 that were built with the wider panel but without the bumperettes - I have the same condition, VIN 30067. If the 2007 panel configuration had attach points common to the previous years, you may be able to retrofit the narrower 2005/6 panel. It could be confirmed by finding the earlier panels/grills (from a rear panel delete?) and doing a fit check.

@Chitwood Thanks! All very interesting. I've got a limited addition! In 50 years it'll be a collector's item, so it's a good thing I didn't just go and just cut holes in it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyasu View Post
I thought you might be interested in another measurement. The total estimated width between the inner circles for the right and left Euro exhaust holes is 26 1/8” (5" collectively from the left & right grills, and 21 1/8" center license plate piece).

Thanks @Nobuyasu . I was hoping to use the Eliseparts exhaust, but theirs is 28.5" inside to inside, so I don't see how it'll fit.

Chris
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 06:46 PM

Garage
Voicekiller,

I am sorry I didn't see this sooner, and also sorry as I just sold my rear plate holder about a month back, or else I would have done some measuring for you. However it looks like you are on the right track, and you now know what you are looking at.

There was another rear panel design you may consider that is A LOT cheaper...and personally speaking looks a lot better.

Here is the one I am most likely going to copy in the long run, its called a challenger grill:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/c...r-grill-22085/

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
Voicekiller,

I am sorry I didn't see this sooner, and also sorry as I just sold my rear plate holder about a month back, or else I would have done some measuring for you. However it looks like you are on the right track, and you now know what you are looking at.

There was another rear panel design you may consider that is A LOT cheaper...and personally speaking looks a lot better.

Here is the one I am most likely going to copy in the long run, its called a challenger grill:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/c...r-grill-22085/
And I might have bought your rear plate holder... but the Challenger concept is interesting.

Last edited by addliteness; 09-23-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Typo
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyasu View Post
@Nobuyasu , or anyone else who's got them, would it be possible for you to measure the diameter of the actual exhaust hole in the Euro Grill? I'd also take on-centre distnace too, if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by addliteness; 12-18-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in