Dumb Question.....front license plate? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Dumb Question.....front license plate?

This may be a strange question, but do you think the Elise will have bolts/or a place for a front plate to be affixed without permanently marring the clam?

reason why I ask is that Id like to put a european front plate on it but I dont want to have to drill.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:00 AM

I don't think it will come with any provisions from the factory. Your dealer will probably drill holes into the front bumper before delivery. A simple fix: call your dealer ahead of time and tell them not to drill holes or mount anything to the bumper. There is no reason to mount a plate at all, even when your permanant ones arrive. In California, front plates are the law, but I don't have them on any of my cars...

If you receive a ticket, it may be a small fine or a fix-it ticket (where you simply tape the plate on, show an officer, and take it off when you get home).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Front plates are not required where I live and Ive never ever messed up one of my cars to put on a vanity tag up front...but I thought the Lotus would look really good with a Euro tag on the front.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:56 AM

Question why?

Why on earth would you want a euro tag?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 10:31 AM

Well the current Elise has a place for a front plate (just look at the pic in the upper left corner), so I don't see why the one we're getting wouldn't have a place for a front plate.

Besides, isn't it a law that there is some sort of provision for a front plate? (it's entirely possible that this is not true, I just had it in my head that it was, for some reason).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 10:42 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Take a look at this pic of the car from the Chicago Auto Show-

Note the flat area for a plate. It seems to be part of the car though they may change the flat part for the US market. Many car companies just throw in a plastic bracket and a place to bolt it to.

I never mount front plates on my sportscars, but I can understand the appeal of a custom Euro style plate on this car.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I recall the flat area on the bumper on the S2 I saw at the Atlanta autoshow..Im just not sure if the US car will retain that.

None of my miatas have holes in the front bumper for license plates. Of course in Kentucky you dont have to have a front plate, but Ive seen miatas from states where you had to and the bumpers had been drilled ( AWFIL!) and/or a front bracket plate had been designed.

I dont have front plates on any of my cars, Im honestly not one for tackying up my cars.....but for some reason I think the Lotus looks nice with the front euro plate. Not saying I'll even put one on...im just playing around with the idea. If the bumper is going to have that odd looking flat area which is intended to hold a plate...I think I'd rather have a spiffy Euro plate cover it. Its not like some giant weight addition, and Im rather fond of the way they look on some cars.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 01:23 PM

I don't know... If I saw a car with euro plates tooling around my neighborhood, I'd think it was a bit pretentious. Forgiving the fact that my street has a bunch of customized Suburbans, pickups, and an el Camino, and my bland NA Miata. I'm not sure I understand the appeal, but to each his own.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I really dont consider it pretentious at all.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 03:36 PM

HI<
I think an Elise in the average neighborhood will be perceived as pretentious!!

Chris
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:08 PM

Front license plate

I've driven a Miata for the past 13.5 years around Los Angeles, accumulating 329,000 miles in the process. I took the front license plate off the day I bought the car (it was mounted on a bracket that attaches under the front end behind the bumper). No problems until a cop gave me a fix-it ticket a few months ago. California requires you to have a front license plate, but it is not uncommon to see cars without it. According to the cop, they are cracking down a bit because so many cities have installed cameras at intersections to catch drivers running red lights. The law requires them to catch your smiling face and your front license plate number in order to send you a ticket, hence their increased interest in enforcement. Cost me $10 to have a cop sign the form stating that I had installed the front license plate and $10 to send it to the court to cancel the ticket. I don't believe that sports cars should have a front plate, but I left it on my car so far. However, I don't think a front plate will look very good on the Lotus, although I agree that the European plate would add some panache.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:57 AM

Can somebody from florida tell me if front plates are a requirement there? I know South Carolina doesn't but don't know of any others that don't.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I agree wholeheartedly that US front plates are awful looking, if I lived in a state where it was required Id take it off and deal with the risk of a ticket.

For some reason I have always liked Euro plates. Dunno..I may decide that its tacky and not do it, its such a beautiful car as it stands.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in