17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Dyno results for all mods

MODS FOR NATURALLY ASPIRATED ELIGE

FORCED INDUCTION FOR NATURALLY ASPIRATED ELIGE
MODS FOR SC ELIGE

* indicates dyno performed by vendor and may be biased

If you have any before-and-after dyno results, post 'em up! Share what you've got!

before-and-after dyno charts ONLY. This thread is nothing like others. We don't intend to establish a baseline here. We're looking for evidence of gains or losses from mods. All of the following must be present in order for your dyno to be included:
  • "Before" Dyno
  • "After" Dyno, done on the same Dyno
  • What type of car and what mods existed before the test
  • What mods are being tested, ideally only 1. This will be exactly what mods were done between "before" and "after"
If you're familiar with any dyno results already on the site, point them my way also! I will update the list in this first post here as you share them.

Why this thread?
If a person was to purchase an Elige now, and then scour this forum for reliable power increase options, including the uberpost, they could be forgiven for believing that no viable options exist outside of forced induction, or at least for having no idea of what power gains/losses to expect from any given mod.

I am that person and I absolutely plan to solve it, if possible, for myself and for posterity. The admittedly ambitious goal is to organize as many reliable mod results as possible, evidenced only by before-and-after dyno results.

If multiple results are found, I intend to average them.

NOTES FOR THE DERAILERS
  • The topic here is dyno results. Raw evidence. If you have something else to share, such as a seat-of-your-pants story about how fast your call feels, or a general wisdom you received from years in the community, please understand that I respectfully view that as off-topic for this specific thread.
  • Yes, it is true that seat-time, experience, driver skill, suspension and tires are all better mods than any power gain. Thank you for sharing. It's good to be in agreement.
  • Yes, it is true that there are many variables during a dyno and not everybody can expect identical results. Thank you for sharing.
  • Yes, it is true that many dyno pulls are required to extract a reliable average, and it is true that many in this list will lack that repetition. Thank you for sharing.
  • Yes, it is true that other existing mods installed can biase the before-after results of the individual mod(s) being measured. Thank you for sharing.
  • Perhaps it is true that the 2zz came stock with optimal intake/exhaust/tune and there is nothing left to be squeezed from it. But if that is true, we need the dynos to tell us that, so please do share your dynos demonstrating lack of gain after mods.
  • The HP increase given in the list will almost certainly be less when applied to your car if you have a smaller baseline, if any gain is seen at all. HP increases in the list should probably be given as a percentage. Also, ideally each before-and-after chart would be done against a stock, unmodified car, but we're working with what we've got.
  • Some may question the value of a thread like this. For them, I'd like to share an illustrative anecdote.
    I was once interested in a particular style of exhaust cutout on my corvette and was told by forum members that I would either gain no power from it or lose power. A 4-hour scouring of the forum produced loads of people saying the same. However, if I ignored every single typed keystroke and just looked at posted dynos from this exact mod, 100% of them showed an 8 to 11 rwhp gain. I did the mod and my before-and-after dyno showed an 8 whp gain. I was very pleased, and not at all surprised. In short, evidence is the ultimate decision-making tool for mods, and it's painful to search and find the evidence we need without threads like this.

Last edited by lance_mn; 05-10-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:20 AM

As a member of the peanut gallery, it is my duty to comment.

I expect that a very common NA modification is an ECU reflash, such that offered by InoKinetic ( https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/tec...ry=Power/Tunes ) or BOE (dyno plot from them attached: https://www.boefab.com/products/boe-torque-200-na-tune ).

From my perspective, such a reflash is so simple to perform that a piggy-back chip is not worth consideration. Finding someone with good ability to perform engine control modification is more tricky, though, so the experience of our vendors is great in this regard.

In my opinion, the budget for modification of the powertrain while retaining natural aspiration should be capped below the cost of upgrading to forced induction (~$6k - $8k, https://www.boefab.com/collections/e...s-supercharger https://www.boefab.com/collections/e...-super-charger https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/kat...ry=Power/Tunes ); if engine output is normalized by the cost of upgrades, it is very hard to beat forced induction.

That being said, I have no experience with these upgrade paths and my car remains at OE power levels.

also, here's a large repository of dyno plots: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...ts-here-22741/

piper cams: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...stalled-30118/
Attached Images

lance_mn likes this.

Last edited by Obeisance; 04-21-2019 at 04:42 AM.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:40 AM

Hi Lance I've posed a similar question wondering about dyno variations with same or similar upgrade along with before and after dyno results. I bought my car last year already modded and this year updated the Koldfire tune with REV 300 tune, CAI, PPE headers and ST. The engine was rebuilt and from what I can tell more for longevity that total HP.

New OEM block Nikasil bores
Arias Pistons 11.5
New OEM head
Supertech valves
Eibach performance springs
Ferrea valve lock
MWR retainers
cams and rockers cryo treated and tempered
Sector111 oil pan
Circuit Works billet oil pump
RLS oil lines
ProRad
REV 300 TVS SC
750CC Inj
BOE surge tank
BOE catch can
ITG CAI
NGK AFX WB
PPE headers with "White Lightning" treatment
Silent Touch

Before was 226HP after 258
Attached Images

lance_mn likes this.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsailr27 View Post
Hi Lance I've posed a similar question wondering about dyno variations with same or similar upgrade along with before and after dyno results. I bought my car last year already modded and this year updated the Koldfire tune with REV 300 tune, CAI, PPE headers and ST. The engine was rebuilt and from what I can tell more for longevity that total HP.

...(long list of existing mods here)...

I'm hesitant to add this to the list as your variables are so many and so varied from stock that I'm not sure how useful it will be to a typical owner who lacks the goodies you have, or how much it might actually misinform them? If I'm reading correctly, you tested the addition of REV 300 tune, CAI, PPE headers and ST, relative to a long list of mods, including an existing Koldfire tune. With this many variables it starts to get crazy lol. This will be very helpful data to somebody, I'm glad you posted it. It should probably be assumed that these exact mods will produce at least some gains on an all stock car, but I'm not sure if it would be even in the same league? For example, perhaps the old koldfire tune gave losses compared to stock, and some of your gains were from simply undoing that tune? I'm not saying that's what happened, just giving an example of what can be at play when this many variables are present.

I assume this was done to an exige; I really wonder what the results would be when applying these same tune and bolt-ons to a stock exige?

Last edited by lance_mn; 04-21-2019 at 07:05 AM.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:08 PM

My car is still in the shop the rest of the week -- I'll have a dyno sheet when I pick up the car.
That being said -- it's really not that hard to get a lot of HP out of these engines. Performance wise, all we've done is this:

Car is 2005 Lotus Elise.
1. Aftermarket radiator from BOE (bought this new from BOE)
2. Factory non-intercooled supercharger. (Bought it used from a member on this forum - has about 5,000 miles on it.
3. Port and polished head (my mechanic did it)
4. Custom one-off ECU tune -- also performed by my mechanic.
5. Bigger fuel injectors.(came with the supercharger)
6. Duel catch cans (bought used from member on this forum)

Result? just over 300hp. The head work and custom ECU tune is kinda the key here - without that I'd be just under 220hp.

Next things I will do (someday when I have some more money)
1. Accupump
2. Different fuel pump
3. Taller 6th gear
4. Limited slip.
5. Upgrade exhaust

...really I don't get why more people don't do the port and polish work on the head -- my mechanic was able to do it and not get close enough to stuff that will cause a heat issue.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoHippie View Post
My car is still in the shop the rest of the week -- I'll have a dyno sheet when I pick up the car.
That being said -- it's really not that hard to get a lot of HP out of these engines. Performance wise, all we've done is this:

Car is 2005 Lotus Elise.
1. Aftermarket radiator from BOE (bought this new from BOE)
2. Factory non-intercooled supercharger. (Bought it used from a member on this forum - has about 5,000 miles on it.
3. Port and polished head (my mechanic did it)
4. Custom one-off ECU tune -- also performed by my mechanic.
5. Bigger fuel injectors.(came with the supercharger)
6. Duel catch cans (bought used from member on this forum)

Result? just over 300hp. The head work and custom ECU tune is kinda the key here - without that I'd be just under 220hp.

Next things I will do (someday when I have some more money)
1. Accupump
2. Different fuel pump
3. Taller 6th gear
4. Limited slip.
5. Upgrade exhaust

...really I don't get why more people don't do the port and polish work on the head -- my mechanic was able to do it and not get close enough to stuff that will cause a heat issue.

Yeah so I don't think so bud. You are for sure being lied to, no way that makes 300 WHP.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
Yeah so I don't think so bud. You are for sure being lied to, no way that makes 300 WHP.
Yeah that's what I thought at first too - but apparently it's true. More than doubling the thruput on the head makes alllll the difference in the world with a proper ECU tune. I was assuming he would be lucky to get 250hp out of it -- but dyno says 300hp. The mechanic is a personal friend of mine so he is doing all this work for a VERY VERY VERY good price (although it's taken him 3 months to do it all lol). He spent countless hours on the head so if I was paying full price it would of cost me quite a bit of money. He is a top-notch mechanic with Lamborghini and Ferrari experience plus he has built race cars too and has decades of experience building go-fast engines. You just have to find the right guy to do the work that actually knows what they're doing...and lucky for me I happen to know such a guy. You can buy heads from MWR ( https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/p...toyota-2zz-ge/ ) -- but those are nothing compared to what he has done for mine. Then there is the ECU tune -- sure you can get an off-the-shelf one from BOE (which are good) or other places -- but again that is nothing compared to having a pro sit there for hours and hours custom tuning your ECU to your specific setup. My neighbor has a 2006 Exige (no supercharger) and he is going to take his to my mechanic when he is finished with mine. Plus the guy has repainted my car, redone the seats, installed driving lights, etc etc etc. I love one-stop shopping
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Catsailr27 View Post

...(long list of existing mods here)...

I'm hesitant to add this to the list as your variables are so many and so varied from stock that I'm not sure how useful it will be to a typical owner who lacks the goodies you have, or how much it might actually misinform them? If I'm reading correctly, you tested the addition of REV 300 tune, CAI, PPE headers and ST, relative to a long list of mods, including an existing Koldfire tune. With this many variables it starts to get crazy lol. This will be very helpful data to somebody, I'm glad you posted it. It should probably be assumed that these exact mods will produce at least some gains on an all stock car, but I'm not sure if it would be even in the same league? For example, perhaps the old koldfire tune gave losses compared to stock, and some of your gains were from simply undoing that tune? I'm not saying that's what happened, just giving an example of what can be at play when this many variables are present.

I assume this was done to an exige; I really wonder what the results would be when applying these same tune and bolt-ons to a stock exige?

Sorry I wasn't more specific Lance. 2006 Elise. Baseline dyno was PO installed early REV 300 with Koldfire tune with stock intake and exhaust manifold and exige S muffler. He had lost a couple of intake cams over the years racing and eventually blew the engine so he had new block nikasil treated and pistons fitted by BOE. He used upgraded valvetrain parts on stock head when he rebuilt the engine. After a few HPDE events I did the headers, CAI and tune.

Mostly it will just show others gain from the tune, PPE headers and CAI. On track this spring I could really feel the mid range increase and it was nice to have the seat of the pants confirmed by the "after" dyno results. Richard
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought at first too - but apparently it's true. More than doubling the thruput on the head makes alllll the difference in the world with a proper ECU tune. I was assuming he would be lucky to get 250hp out of it -- but dyno says 300hp. The mechanic is a personal friend of mine so he is doing all this work for a VERY VERY VERY good price (although it's taken him 3 months to do it all lol). He spent countless hours on the head so if I was paying full price it would of cost me quite a bit of money. He is a top-notch mechanic with Lamborghini and Ferrari experience plus he has built race cars too and has decades of experience building go-fast engines. You just have to find the right guy to do the work that actually knows what they're doing...and lucky for me I happen to know such a guy. You can buy heads from MWR ( https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/p...toyota-2zz-ge/ ) -- but those are nothing compared to what he has done for mine. Then there is the ECU tune -- sure you can get an off-the-shelf one from BOE (which are good) or other places -- but again that is nothing compared to having a pro sit there for hours and hours custom tuning your ECU to your specific setup. My neighbor has a 2006 Exige (no supercharger) and he is going to take his to my mechanic when he is finished with mine. Plus the guy has repainted my car, redone the seats, installed driving lights, etc etc etc. I love one-stop shopping
Besides all the other claims here, how is he able to "custom tune" your ECU? They aren't publicly unlocked.

Listen I know you are invested in this and I am sure your guy did good work. But there is no way that your car makes 300 WHP. It just isnt possible. I suspect that if I took the time to do the math that supercharger CANNOT make 300 whp with any engine or pully size. Are you claiming that BOE, MWR, DRS, Komotec, ECUmaster, Lotus motorsport and COUNTLESS others don't know what they are doing and are fools for settling for under 300 WHP on stock MP62 superchargers, let alone that 45 BS.

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:00 PM

Now some real resuts:

Every bolt on + 100 octane tune and adjusting FPR to max out AFR readings. I get 265 WHP max. This is on a variety of dyno jet dynos, with 3 different junkyard engines and 2 different OEM mp62 superchargers.

You can do lots of stuff to make a dyno read funny, there might be 20 WHP in just running bald 50 psi tires. So be careful what you read WRT how much dyno gains add and be skeptical of numbers higher then mine. Were their results SAE corrected? What kind of dyno? What kind of tire? Etc etc.

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Besides all the other claims here, how is he able to "custom tune" your ECU? They aren't publicly unlocked.

Listen I know you are invested in this and I am sure your guy did good work. But there is no way that your car makes 300 WHP. It just isnt possible. I suspect that if I took the time to do the math that supercharger CANNOT make 300 whp with any engine or pully size. Are you claiming that BOE, MWR, DRS, Komotec, ECUmaster, Lotus motorsport and COUNTLESS others don't know what they are doing and are fools for settling for under 300 WHP on stock MP62 superchargers, let alone that 45 BS.
I understand you skepticism. I'm not suggesting that others like BOE don't know what they're doing (they do - I live near them and have had my car there several times for various things and spent some time in their shop) -- but that doesn't mean that others cant figure out things that they have not or have new ideas. Yes the ECU is not publically unlocked, but my guy has connections and sources that even most mechanics don't have and has got around that problem. Again I can not stress enough that part of the key here was all the work to the head. Bolt on a MP62 supercharger and you get 217hp. Add a smaller pully would add a tiny bit more power -- but we didn't do that as I don't feel like watching my supercharger blow and my mechanic said it was not a good idea, on this build anyway, to use a smaller one, since part of my goal is to keep the car reliable. At the end of the day what it boils down to is custom one-off work vs off-the-shelf-everyone-has-it. IF you have the right guy you will always win with the custom work done. BOE, while they are fantastic at what they do, are not in business to spend 3 months on one car -- they are a shop and need a higher volume of cars going thru their shop. Sure they *might* be willing to do all that my guy is doing -- but at $150 an hour there is no way on earth I could ever afford them do do all that my friend is doing.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:59 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Now some real resuts:

Every bolt on + 100 octane tune and adjusting FPR to max out AFR readings. I get 265 WHP max. This is on a variety of dyno jet dynos, with 3 different junkyard engines and 2 different OEM mp62 superchargers.

You can do lots of stuff to make a dyno read funny, there might be 20 WHP in just running bald 50 psi tires. So be careful what you read WRT how much dyno gains add and be skeptical of numbers higher then mine. Were their results SAE corrected? What kind of dyno? What kind of tire? Etc etc.
Jack, Phil and quite a few of us know from personal experience that the MP62 can make more than 265rwhp.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/3446753-post12.html

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Now some real resuts:

..and that is pretty impressive number - more than I would expect. But difference is a) off the shelf ECU tune and b) no work to the head.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Jack, Phil and quite a few of us know from personal experience that the MP62 can make more than 265rwhp.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/3446753-post12.html

San
that engine has cams. you have about the same setup as i had when on street gas IIRC and just have a glory dyno run?
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:50 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
that engine has cams. you have about the same setup as i had when on street gas IIRC and just have a glory dyno run?
We don't have the same setup and quite a few here have more than 265rwhp. As Phil has stated in the post I linked to, 280-310rwhp is about as much as the MP62 will make, and for those seeking more a different SC makes more sense.

San

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:51 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
I understand you skepticism. I'm not suggesting that others like BOE don't know what they're doing (they do - I live near them and have had my car there several times for various things and spent some time in their shop) -- but that doesn't mean that others cant figure out things that they have not or have new ideas. Yes the ECU is not publically unlocked, but my guy has connections and sources that even most mechanics don't have and has got around that problem. Again I can not stress enough that part of the key here was all the work to the head. Bolt on a MP62 supercharger and you get 217hp. Add a smaller pully would add a tiny bit more power -- but we didn't do that as I don't feel like watching my supercharger blow and my mechanic said it was not a good idea, on this build anyway, to use a smaller one, since part of my goal is to keep the car reliable. At the end of the day what it boils down to is custom one-off work vs off-the-shelf-everyone-has-it. IF you have the right guy you will always win with the custom work done. BOE, while they are fantastic at what they do, are not in business to spend 3 months on one car -- they are a shop and need a higher volume of cars going thru their shop. Sure they *might* be willing to do all that my guy is doing -- but at $150 an hour there is no way on earth I could ever afford them do do all that my friend is doing.
You're not making a lot of sense. You didn't want to use the MP62 as it was too small and you think it is limited to 217hp, so you installed an even smaller MP45 without an intercooler? Say it ain't so. You said factory non-intercooled SC. Seriously, the MP45 is described as a hot hair dryer, and heat soaks quickly.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...2/#post5915974

San

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
You're not making a lot of sense. You didn't want to use the MP62 as it was too small and you think it is limited to 217hp, so you installed an even smaller MP45 without an intercooler? Say it ain't so. You said factory non-intercooled SC. Seriously, the MP45 is described as a hot hair dryer, and heat soaks quickly.

San

Ahh my mistake -- it is the MP45 supercharger that I have, not the MP62 - no intercooler. I was not saying smaller supercharger, but a smaller pulley. When I took my car to my mechanic friend I asked him about putting a smaller pulley on it & he said not to do it - and as I recall he said something along the lines that the extra heat it would create would eat too much of any HP gains to make it worth doing, and shorten lifespan. Anyway along with porting and polishing the head he is also doing polishing the intake just right so everything matches. As for the heat soak - yes that is something I have worried about with no intercooler. After I'd bought my supercharger I was at BOE getting a upgraded radiator put in, and asked them about the need for an intercooler. What I was told was that the MP45 superchargers didn't move enough air to warrant requiring an intercooler. I do have their upgraded radiator though - perhaps that will help?? I dunno. In my case the supercharger is just one piece of the puzzle, as the head work, intake work, and ECU tune are responsible for generating more of the power. You have to find a highly skilled person to do the head work and an expert to do the ECU tune that has the proper equipment and knowledge to customize the ECU. I got lucky because for me one guy can do it all of it & he is a friend so he is doing for a price I can afford.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:33 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Ahh my mistake -- it is the MP45 supercharger that I have, not the MP62 - no intercooler. I was not saying smaller supercharger, but a smaller pulley. When I took my car to my mechanic friend I asked him about putting a smaller pulley on it & he said not to do it - and as I recall he said something along the lines that the extra heat it would create would eat too much of any HP gains to make it worth doing, and shorten lifespan. Anyway along with porting and polishing the head he is also doing polishing the intake just right so everything matches. As for the heat soak - yes that is something I have worried about with no intercooler. After I'd bought my supercharger I was at BOE getting a upgraded radiator put in, and asked them about the need for an intercooler. What I was told was that the MP45 superchargers didn't move enough air to warrant requiring an intercooler. I do have their upgraded radiator though - perhaps that will help?? I dunno. In my case the supercharger is just one piece of the puzzle, as the head work, intake work, and ECU tune are responsible for generating more of the power. You have to find a highly skilled person to do the head work and an expert to do the ECU tune that has the proper equipment and knowledge to customize the ECU. I got lucky because for me one guy can do it all of it & he is a friend so he is doing for a price I can afford.
BOE is right, the MP45 simply doesn't move enough air. That's the point. I don't think it can support any meaningful horsepower. I think it will add some low-end/mid-range driveability, but will become heat soaked very quickly and pull timing badly. BOE probably doesn't think it's worth intercooling. I don't think they even offer a tune for the MP45, as it just isn't worthwhile.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to invest heavily in the head work if the pump (SC) is so tiny. If you're going with a SC setup, put a proper SC in it. Otherwise you're probably better off keeping it NA.

If your mechanic steered you away from a bigger intercooled SC to a tiny non-intercooled SC with the justificataion of avoiding heat, then that should set off some alarms. If you told him to make the best of the MP45, then you've kind of set yourself up for minimal gains IMHO.

San

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:

San
Quote:
BOE is right, the MP45 simply doesn't move enough air. That's the point. I don't think it can support any meaningful horsepower. I think it will add some low-end/mid-range driveability, but will become heat soaked very quickly and pull timing badly. BOE probably doesn't think it's worth intercooling. I don't think they even offer a tune for the MP45, as it just isn't worthwhile.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to invest heavily in the head work if the pump (SC) is so tiny. If you're going with a SC setup, put a proper SC in it. Otherwise you're probably better off keeping it NA.

If your mechanic steered you away from a bigger intercooled SC to a tiny non-intercooled SC with the justificataion of avoiding heat, then that should set off some alarms. If you told him to make the best of the MP45, then you've kind of set yourself up for minimal gains IMHO.

San
If a mechanic ever told me to away from a bigger intercooled SC to a tiny non-intercooled SC with the justification of avoiding heat I would know the guy was a total idiot and walk out the door never to return lol....
I am using the MP45 supercharger because that is the one I have lol. Really it was a matter of cost to me, the MP62 costs more and is more expensive to install...plus I got a pretty good deal on the supercharger as it came off a wrecked car with only 5,000 miles on it From the factory it takes you from 190hp to 217hp - and also more torque. While that may not sound like much, 27 more hp on 190 in a 2000lb car does make a difference. When I was at BOE I did ask them if they would give me a tune with that supercharger and they said they would - don't recall if they'd done one before though. I will get more HP out of the head work and ECU tune that what I'm getting out of the supercharger - and end up with a significant more torque - and that is what I'm looking for. Now if you have money you can get yourself a BOE REVX and end up with 550hp and 370lb of torque
..which I'm sure would be a lot of fun (I've seen that car in person at the shop) -- but probably north of $20,000 to do it because of all the other changes required (for example need different transmission). ..and frankly at that point the car is at best questionable as a daily driven street car. Yes there are many other routes I could of gone - but due to a series of oddball events this is how I ended up doing the build. It is an interesting combination that I haven't seen anyone else try...and assuming the numbers are correct at a reliable 300hp then I'd say the experiment was a success.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:43 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
If a mechanic ever told me to away from a bigger intercooled SC to a tiny non-intercooled SC with the justification of avoiding heat I would know the guy was a total idiot and walk out the door never to return lol....
I am using the MP45 supercharger because that is the one I have lol. Really it was a matter of cost to me, the MP62 costs more and is more expensive to install...plus I got a pretty good deal on the supercharger as it came off a wrecked car with only 5,000 miles on it From the factory it takes you from 190hp to 217hp - and also more torque. While that may not sound like much, 27 more hp on 190 in a 2000lb car does make a difference. When I was at BOE I did ask them if they would give me a tune with that supercharger and they said they would - don't recall if they'd done one before though. I will get more HP out of the head work and ECU tune that what I'm getting out of the supercharger - and end up with a significant more torque - and that is what I'm looking for. Now if you have money you can get yourself a BOE REVX and end up with 550hp and 370lb of torque https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzo9YxmdnT8 ..which I'm sure would be a lot of fun (I've seen that car in person at the shop) -- but probably north of $20,000 to do it because of all the other changes required (for example need different transmission). ..and frankly at that point the car is at best questionable as a daily driven street car. Yes there are many other routes I could of gone - but due to a series of oddball events this is how I ended up doing the build. It is an interesting combination that I haven't seen anyone else try...and assuming the numbers are correct at a reliable 300hp then I'd say the experiment was a success.
So you decided on the MP45, and that's your choice. I personally would have opted not to add it, as if you looked at the post I linked to with the Elise SC owner with a cool and hot dyno run, he found a loss of at least 10hp, which I assume is actually 10rwhp. That's more than half of the hp gain (rwhp X 15% drivetrain loss) you are looking to gain. Given the addtional heat/weight/complexity, I don't know that it is worthwhile. Given you acknowledge nearly all your gains will be made elsewhere, it looks like maybe you decided to add the MP45 late in the build?

You have stated 300hp (not rwhp), and I think that is optimistic. 300rwhp isn't realistic and I hope you didn't mean to imply that.

I'm aware of the large amount of funds needed for a truly large horsepower build for an Elige. I personally will stick with the MP62 until I decide on a lot more horsepower. I think to truly take advantage of BOE's aftermarket superchargers you need a built motor. I know it isn't a requirement, but if I'm going big, I don't want to roll the dice on a stock block. Just my opinion.

San

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in