Elise and the Katana 2 SC long term - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By kfennell
  • 1 Post By shinoo
  • 2 Post By Mobius97

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Elise and the Katana 2 SC long term

As many of you have read in the past, I've had my Katana 2 for many years. I have always touted how reliable it has been and a great kit......for it's time. We all know these days there are better options out there for a marginally better price, sorry @shinoo ! I love the kit and it has been very reliable but after several years and getting the car into working order again over the last month, here are the faults I have had. Keep in mind that this is after several years of hard street use...I have a heavy right foot. . My troubles started 2 summers ago, the many years before that had been perfect, I discovered a sheered intake manifold bolt accompanied by a loud high pitched whine. Shinoo and team were quick to react after seeing my post and sent me a new stud right away free of charge (back then and now...his team's customer support is awesome, so please don't take this as a knock to them). Not wanting to deal with it, I packed it away for the summer 2yrs ago. A month ago I decided to get it fixed, what was discovered was not 1 but 3 broken intake manifold studs. These failures *may be chalked up to the S/C's support bracket that was also broken....the one on the throttle body side which broke in half and leads us to believe caused the failure of the 3 intake mani bolts. I am lucky they were all able to be extracted or it could have turned into further expenses. Getting the car back, I was very happy, all seemed to be in working order and the loud vacuum leak gone.

After a day...I noticed another whine, this time low key and much quieter. I couldn't exactly recall since it had been so long since driving the car but the butt dyno told me...I've lost power. Turned out to be another vacuum leak robbing me. The S/C's bypass valve is now leaking. Just so happened a solar yellow Elise with silver stripes was in for repairs on their Katana kit....go figure a leaky bypass. I will be getting the car back this week but wanted to ask. I feel this is not really a fault of the Sector kit but what could be causing this stress on studs? My first guess are engine mounts and movement. Would love to hear any opinions and thoughts.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:13 AM

Garage
I have had mine for close to 5 years now but its been in the car since 2009. My only complaint is the excess fuel it burns. I have a stage 1 muffler (not recommended) and cams were inspected. Looks like the plugs take a hell of a beating, unless 5 years for plugs is all I can get. There was not much left of them and replacing them seems to help a bit but I still blow gas on occasion not tied to anything in particular other then 5k +.

Solar Yellow 07 (225 whp)
Katana 2 SC
Sector 111 Pro rad radiator
Larini SE Exhaust and Lotus Euro Grills
alarm mod ( 80 feet )
all recalls complete.
upgraded front speakers to 5.25, back to 6.5 added a 12 inch sub
AikShii's Glove box.
Nexus gen 2 custom made radio Bessel.
Garw.co Dash.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:37 PM

I'v had my Katana on for 5 years, and it was a few years old when I bought it here on LT, so far no issues. May be a good idea for us Katana guy's to inspect the SC braces on a regular basis.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 07:28 AM

Garage
Why do you say that, was it something Mobius97 said or in your own advice?

I guess I should add this: I get a grinding noise at high rpm 6k + a better way to describe it is of I were to drop a lot of beebee's in a metal can. I'm almost sure its the SC but not %100 on that.

Solar Yellow 07 (225 whp)
Katana 2 SC
Sector 111 Pro rad radiator
Larini SE Exhaust and Lotus Euro Grills
alarm mod ( 80 feet )
all recalls complete.
upgraded front speakers to 5.25, back to 6.5 added a 12 inch sub
AikShii's Glove box.
Nexus gen 2 custom made radio Bessel.
Garw.co Dash.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 08:05 AM

The bypass valves wear out on all superchargers, it's just a thing that happens. My stock supercharger was very worn as well.
shinoo likes this.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:40 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mobius97, we had some issues with our last generation of brackets cracking. We redesigned these in-house and beefed them up several years ago. The studs can shear if they are not torqued correctly and/or the brackets break. The vast majority of KATANA2 owners have not suffered these issues.

I'm guessing the valve that we sourced for ParkPlace is going on your car. Feel free to call me with any questions.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:42 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrev View Post
I'v had my Katana on for 5 years, and it was a few years old when I bought it here on LT, so far no issues. May be a good idea for us Katana guy's to inspect the SC braces on a regular basis.
I think checking nuts and bolts on these Lotus is always a good idea.
tomrev likes this.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 02:55 PM

I had a katana 2 bearing failure within a year, which resulted in the two impellers colliding with each other and sending a spray of aluminum shards and powder into the engine. Some day I may move up to the TVS supercharger.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Mobius97, we had some issues with our last generation of brackets cracking. We redesigned these in-house and beefed them up several years ago. The studs can shear if they are not torqued correctly and/or the brackets break. The vast majority of KATANA2 owners have not suffered these issues.

I'm guessing the valve that we sourced for ParkPlace is going on your car. Feel free to call me with any questions.
Yep that was for me. Picked the car up earlier this week and she is back in tip top shape! Thanks for getting the bypass valve out so quickly! Much appreciated! I've had the kit for many years, so yes...old bracket version. After talking to the tech and Brian....it does seem the root cause of the broken studs was the snapped bracket and no support. They fab'd another one for me.

Car feels great now, like new. I knew there was something going on as it didn't have the go I had remembered...but it had been a long time since I had driven her. New vavle worked out perfectly and no more dang whistling sounds 🙂
shinoo and gbrecke like this.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in