Elise LCD dash - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 534Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 04:18 PM

Wow, this is the first time I've seen this thread. This is amazing work!

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Wow, this is the first time I've seen this thread. This is amazing work!

Your late to the tea party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #83 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 06:45 PM

Great work

I'm in!

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors

post #84 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkSol View Post
Hmm here's a tweaked/simplified screen capture of the Lexus LFA gauge (ignore the reflection from the stock sliding metal ring) - it would allow the warning light indicators/turn signals to be pushed to the outside corners while keeping all the pertinent info in the center - a large circle is the best use of the 7" screen IMHO:
Re: post #76
That's very strong, great use of space. Very good as a track display.
For street display, the center dial would be speedo, the left side would be one arc for tach, squeeze in coolant, oil, and fuel into the right side. (Maybe the fuel bar could fit into the speedo).

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
post #85 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garw View Post
No sorry its not android, its a bespoke embedded operating system

built for the job.

And its not a tablet, it uses an embedded dual core arm processor

with accelerated graphics

although arm processors are used in nearly every mobile device

so you would find it in a tablet, phone,

most high end cars with LCD instruments also use arm processors

they have the best performance per watt, so perform well and run very cool no fans needed etc.

UK is its origins , that's were I am based and currently testing.

not sure how to get word to the Aussies and Kiwi's

I think I know what you're using.... Are you using arduino micro controller and C++ language. This would seem like a practical and cost effective way to collect sensor data. If you are using this product, it would be simple to add many sensors and display their data. Accelerometer, gyro, temps, etc... You could also add wifi/Bluetooth shields and if you had a way to overlay maps, you could also use GPS. Also you could add radar input as well. Your only limit would be input pins on the board. Uno, Mega, nano boards are available. Also sonic wave sensors for detecting objects while backing up or pulling up. Let me know if this is the route you have taken. If you're good with C++ the parts alone could be purchased for less than $300.. Coding is what your getting paid for... Very good sir! I currently use arduino products for sensor networks in my house.
O LEE O likes this.
post #86 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1 View Post
I think I know what you're using.... Are you using arduino micro controller and C++ language. This would seem like a practical and cost effective way to collect sensor data. If you are using this product, it would be simple to add many sensors and display their data. Accelerometer, gyro, temps, etc... You could also add wifi/Bluetooth shields and if you had a way to overlay maps, you could also use GPS. Also you could add radar input as well. Your only limit would be input pins on the board. Uno, Mega, nano boards are available. Also sonic wave sensors for detecting objects while backing up or pulling up. Let me know if this is the route you have taken. If you're good with C++ the parts alone could be purchased for less than $300.. Coding is what your getting paid for... Very good sir! I currently use arduino products for sensor networks in my house.
I understand the architecture you are describing , but I'm not using it , the board inside the Elise LCD dash is completely bespoke and not something available to purchase, not claiming its anything special
but to get everything needed into a small space I has to design a custom board with the elise connector directly mounted to the PCB.

The board has 2 separate processors one 32bit microcontroller doing all the time critical tasks of reading all inputs and sensors, handling the canbus etc.
And the dual core ARM is getting sent all this data to run the graphical side.

if I didn't layout the pcb myself then the project would not be viable as getting custom embedded PCB's designed can be very expensive.

But you are right in saying its the software that is the biggest cost , as the hardware is a vessel to sell the software (not devaluing the importance of hardware)

I have been engineering products since before the arduino became available but for anyone wanting to make something themselves it is certainly capable
and a very good entry point for anyone wanting to explore what is possible, and for a vast majority it will do more than enough.
darkSol, Aedo, avonnieda and 1 others like this.
post #87 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 07:57 AM

I don't care what software what hardware, only want plug and play toys

And most important, price must be right

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #88 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I understand the architecture you are describing , but I'm not using it , the board inside the Elise LCD dash is completely bespoke and not something available to purchase, not claiming its anything special

but to get everything needed into a small space I has to design a custom board with the elise connector directly mounted to the PCB.

The board has 2 separate processors one 32bit microcontroller doing all the time critical tasks of reading all inputs and sensors, handling the canbus etc.

if I didn't layout the pcb myself then the project would not be viable as getting custom embedded PCB's designed can be very expensive.

But you are right in saying its the software that is the biggest cost , as the hardware is a vessel to sell the software (not devaluing the importance of hardware)

I have been engineering products since before the arduino became available but for anyone wanting to make something themselves it is certainly capable

and a very good entry point for anyone wanting to explore what is possible, and for a vast majority it will do more than enough.

Ok, makes sense! You know if you could fit a wifi board in there, you could incorporate a separate controller with additional inputs and have it remote since space is limited. Just an idea. Your product looks great so far!!
post #89 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:

garw, it's great to see a member of the LotusTalk community contribute so much. I'm curious what your background is. Mind sharing a bit, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious!

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #90 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Closer than you think

Garage
This is only an aesthetic idea and likely you've already considered this... The straight lines of the exterior screen are rectangular with small rounded corners. That combination doesn't flow with the upper curves of the shroud, placing a box inside of a curved space, and making it look more like a retrofit. I know this is just the beta so maybe you could restructure the shape of the exterior screen cover to better fit the vehicle. Also, I'd finish that cover in some kind of flat black coating that reflects minimal light.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
post #91 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82DRV View Post
This is only an aesthetic idea and likely you've already considered this... The straight lines of the exterior screen are rectangular with small rounded corners. That combination doesn't flow with the upper curves of the shroud, placing a box inside of a curved space, and making it look more like a retrofit. I know this is just the beta so maybe you could restructure the shape of the exterior screen cover to better fit the vehicle. Also, I'd finish that cover in some kind of flat black coating that reflects minimal light.
the finish will be deep black anodise, and hopefully wont reflect,

the square screen in a round aperture is a good debate, many different ideas

some want maximum screen area , others prefer a matching curve to the cowl

personally I think the best is a large 12.3 wide with a lot of the top corners hidden with the curvature of the cowl/shroud

But we don't have that space with the elise and there could not be much screen are left if we cut the corners,
post #92 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
garw, it's great to see a member of the LotusTalk community contribute so much. I'm curious what your background is. Mind sharing a bit, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious!
OK , you asked

It started when I was 8 years old I promised myself I would build supercars when I grew up.
I picked electronic engineering at university because car design cost too much.
ended up in the gaming industry designing electronic pcbs and writing software fro them

When working abroad with only German telly, I took a pencil and sketched my supercar that I promised.

then taught myself cad and brought it to life in 3D
Name:  IMG_1370.JPG
Views: 1124
Size:  111.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1372.JPG
Views: 1118
Size:  95.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1371.JPG
Views: 1126
Size:  85.2 KB

this is now sitting in my workshop as a pile of body panels and a chassis
hopefully running this year

.....so I naturally began creating a unique lcd dash for this car, and while consulting with ex lotus motorsport guy about my car chassis he saw my dash
and wanted to supply it to some of his niche build/one off customers

so I did and after the bespoke work he convinced me that one for an Elise would be good entry into the market of LCD dashes,
instead of a mashup I designed a pin compatible straight swap unit.
swapped my E46 M3 for an Elise S1 for a test mule.

So my company GARW LTD was born which is building the car and selling LCD dashes to pay for it.

I hope to build Wales first supercar (we are only 3million population) but need a bit more money to finish the prototype,

Last edited by Aedo; 03-28-2016 at 03:32 AM. Reason: changed url tag to attach
post #93 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 01:35 PM
Closer than you think

Garage
Wow! Genius lives!

Thanks for looking our way when designing this option.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
post #94 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 03:01 PM

Great project ! Looks fantastic, couple of questions/comments

For the pre-canbus cars (S1 and S2 prior to 08/09 depending which part of the world you're in) - are you taking a feed from the ODBII port to get the tell-tales (idiot lights) or does everything have to work of an analogue sensor of some kind? (I have an Aus delivered 07 Exige that is toyo engined, but pre canbus)

How do you manage data from the ABS for example? and RPM/Speed lag from the ODBII port? (if that's how you are getting the feed)

Also, re the track timer - I'd highly recommend putting in a GPS tracker rather than working off a beacon, no one generally (here at least) uses beacons any more. Or perhaps provide an interface to an external 10Hz Bluetooth GPS dongle?

Very interested in seeing this progress - well done
post #95 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harto View Post
Also, re the track timer - I'd highly recommend putting in a GPS tracker rather than working off a beacon, no one generally (here at least) uses beacons any more.
Excellent point...

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
post #96 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harto View Post
Great project ! Looks fantastic, couple of questions/comments

For the pre-canbus cars (S1 and S2 prior to 08/09 depending which part of the world you're in) - are you taking a feed from the ODBII port to get the tell-tales (idiot lights) or does everything have to work of an analogue sensor of some kind? (I have an Aus delivered 07 Exige that is toyo engined, but pre canbus)

How do you manage data from the ABS for example? and RPM/Speed lag from the ODBII port? (if that's how you are getting the feed)

Also, re the track timer - I'd highly recommend putting in a GPS tracker rather than working off a beacon, no one generally (here at least) uses beacons any more. Or perhaps provide an interface to an external 10Hz Bluetooth GPS dongle?

Very interested in seeing this progress - well done
No OBD port, it works as the original cluster

S1 and S2 K series engine connects to the sensors direct (as did it original)
wheel speed sensor, rpm pulse from the ecu, fuel and temp are analogue,
ABS sends no data its simply got a warning light in the dash connected to the ABS module.

right about the GPS, a previous race dash I put together required a beacon input as that's what they used in their cars.
I carried this over and made it available in Elise dash

But a GPS module would remove the need for more hardware.
Also some cars have complete data logging functionality and in this case its the laptimer from the data logger which needs to be shown on screen.

So I have GPS on the list and integration with existing data loggers

...question? without a full list of race tracks stored in the memory of the dash how is the start point of the track calibrated by the GPS

do you simply push a button at a certain point of the track and use this co-ordinate from here on ?

or is it normal to enter the co-ordinates manually ?

I would always like to improve on any current method , especially if it not ideal

..and about the canbus are you sure your 07 is not Canbus ?
first toyo engined Elise had white face dials and canbus , the cluster had an extra connector for the canbus wires
08 elise with black face dials had everything in one plug

I expect your car to have dial face the same as my video , white with a tighter rpm indent for the first 3K
post #97 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
No OBD port, it works as the original cluster
Ahh yes, sorry, you did say that

Quote:
...question? without a full list of race tracks stored in the memory of the dash how is the start point of the track calibrated by the GPS

do you simply push a button at a certain point of the track and use this co-ordinate from here on ?

or is it normal to enter the co-ordinates manually ?
All of the above.

I have used different systems that require a button press to set the start line, or once you have run the track at least one, you can edit the lap data and manually set a start point and then load that back in - or even load all the points manually.

Motec now have (with their current software) all the Australian tracks (and I assume the majority of tracks around the world) pre loaded. So from a track logging perspective - when you setup for the day, you run up the dash logger software, set the track and other details (date, conditions, etc...), push that down to the dash and then forget about it for the day.

That method would be best - or even better, once you put the dash into track mode, use the GPS module to determine where you are in the world and automatically load the track that matches the co-ordinates... that would be very nice ! (If it cant find a track within a certain distance, default to manual mode)

Quote:
..and about the canbus are you sure your 07 is not Canbus ?
first toyo engined Elise had white face dials and canbus , the cluster had an extra connector for the canbus wires
08 elise with black face dials had everything in one plug

I expect your car to have dial face the same as my video , white with a tighter rpm indent for the first 3K
Yes to white dial and interesting, I'll double check this - thanks
post #98 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:53 PM

Very cool!
I would get one
post #99 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 04:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
OK , you asked
...... and while consulting with ex lotus motorsport guy about my car chassis he saw my dash.......
Will you be using the Elise platform for the build? I like the look of this more than the Venom GT. Your build has a nice mix of hard lines and curves.

2016 Ruter #31 Bus, (not Ardent) Red
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1971 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow
post #100 of 1617 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypaspazz View Post
Quote:
OK , you asked
...... and while consulting with ex lotus motorsport guy about my car chassis he saw my dash.......
Will you be using the Elise platform for the build? I like the look of this more than the Venom GT. Your build has a nice mix of hard lines and curves.
No , although maybe I should have.
It would be finished by now if I did.

But it's a bespoke chassis designed to fit the body. I use a consultant ex lotus Motorsport to get the chassis dynamics right.
So that's the lotus connection.
ERDoc74 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in