Elise LCD dash - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 534Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Registered User
 
SLKado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Woolwich, NJ
Posts: 254
Garage
^ what he said...

2005 LRG Lotus Elise
SLKado is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLKado View Post
^ what he said...
The auxiliary connector is additional to the main connector and does not need to be used .

the main connector is the plug and play connector compatible with the cars existing instrument cluster plug .
lt0302 and Coyne like this.
garw is offline  
post #123 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 239
I have introduced a GPS receiver to the cluster

an additional dedicated connector, uses standard serial GPS module.

This will naturally be for lap timer functionality (on top of the current beacon input)

But since GPS has a 3 meter max accuracy im questioning how good it can actually be ,

At high speeds it wont matter a lot , but to compare it with a fixed beacon and receiver it cant be as good.

This is my opinion , but I'm interested in anyone's thoughts and experience with GPS timers .

I've only driven with a beacon timer.
garw is offline  
 
post #124 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 06:36 AM
Registered User
 
SLKado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Woolwich, NJ
Posts: 254
Garage
What about embedding something like a sky pro xgps160 or similar? Or even a Bluetooth receiver to connect to it. It's what I use for solo storm and it's very accurate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 LRG Lotus Elise
SLKado is offline  
post #125 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 06:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,952
Or you can make it lighter, then simplify it. As light and simple as possible.
Coyne is offline  
post #126 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:50 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 211
you guys asking a lot of functions..but all these comes at an added price,.

I like the basic configuration you had in the beginning to keep the cost down.


I've seen so many instances where ppl says they want this and that (not pointing at anyone) but because of added costs it came with, ppl ended up not buying at all...
Coyne likes this.
mpower1226 is offline  
post #127 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower1226 View Post
you guys asking a lot of functions..but all these comes at an added price,.

I like the basic configuration you had in the beginning to keep the cost down.


I've seen so many instances where ppl says they want this and that (not pointing at anyone) but because of added costs it came with, ppl ended up not buying at all...
Yes true , the Gps will be usb type so it will be upto the end user to purchase an off the shelf item and plug it into the dash usb connector . Therefore it won't affect the price of the base unit . I did think about embedding the Gps onboard and having an external antenna , but it would up the price for all users .
garw is offline  
post #128 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:14 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower1226 View Post
you guys asking a lot of functions..but all these comes at an added price,.



I like the basic configuration you had in the beginning to keep the cost down.





I've seen so many instances where ppl says they want this and that (not pointing at anyone) but because of added costs it came with, ppl ended up not buying at all...

100% this. Original config. Simple. Cheap. More people will buy it.
Corvus13, surferpkt and Kamsden like this.
Coyne is offline  
post #129 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLKado View Post
What about embedding something like a sky pro xgps160 or similar? Or even a Bluetooth receiver to connect to it. It's what I use for solo storm and it's very accurate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think expandability should be through usb

The latest pcb has 2 USB connectors , these will have the capability to be used for updating software via USB drive, GPS receiver , wifi adapter , extra serial interface , downloading logs etc Any USB device within reason .

So it's prepared for the future .

It will be produced as a basic base unit to ensure the lowest base cost
garw is offline  
post #130 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Registered User
 
miro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 60
Hey Garw, have you fully fleshed out the customization/UI templating system? The only info I found before was asset names including offsets in a specific folder to upload. I'm just curious how much we can customize, aside from just swapping images (ie can you change the start/end point of the needle, or go to a bar-style tach similar to the s2000?) etc.

It would be cool if you could expand upon the specification for custom user templates.

Thanks for the updates BTW. Lots of us here at LT are very motivated for this.
miro is offline  
post #131 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 239
It's still in the works ,
Trying to keep it simple and capable of make a good layout .

So far the concept is a collection of files each one an element on the screen .

So the contents of each file would be

Source image : "file name"
X: (coordinates)
Y:
Rotate: true/false
Slide: true/false
Origin : xy point for rotation
Channel:
Scale: (degrees or x y scaling)

This works ok , but the process needs to be sped up , as you can imagine tweaking values will take a long time if it's change-copy to usb stick-upload
every time.

So I'm thinking once the elements are on the screen you could plug in a mouse to the dash to move everything about if needed .

But it's still all conceptual as i don't want to offer anything unless it has a real world use for the end user .
garw is offline  
post #132 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Registered User
 
miro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by garw View Post
It's still in the works ,
Trying to keep it simple and capable of make a good layout .

So far the concept is a collection of files each one an element on the screen .

So the contents of each file would be

Source image : "file name"
X: (coordinates)
Y:
Rotate: true/false
Slide: true/false
Origin : xy point for rotation
Channel:
Scale: (degrees or x y scaling)

This works ok , but the process needs to be sped up , as you can imagine tweaking values will take a long time if it's change-copy to usb stick-upload
every time.

So I'm thinking once the elements are on the screen you could plug in a mouse to the dash to move everything about if needed .

But it's still all conceptual as i don't want to offer anything unless it has a real world use for the end user .
This is a great start.

Definitely keep the most extensive customization options available. We can always make programs to assist with layout as long as the layout is standardized (and this can be implemented after you ship). I take it "Channel" is the data channel / feed ?

So yes, this is useful for the real world user and a wysiwyg style editor could be made by users in the future (sounds kind of fun to make).

(This is just if your feature ends up taking too much time, I request that you keep the template system in since we can work around the potential inconvenience)
miro is offline  
post #133 of 1617 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
This is a great start.

Definitely keep the most extensive customization options available. We can always make programs to assist with layout as long as the layout is standardized (and this can be implemented after you ship). I take it "Channel" is the data channel / feed ?

So yes, this is useful for the real world user and a wysiwyg style editor could be made by users in the future (sounds kind of fun to make).

(This is just if your feature ends up taking too much time, I request that you keep the template system in since we can work around the potential inconvenience)

Yes channel is the data feed.

The intention is to provide an interface, and as you rightly said software to make it easier to generate the necessary files can be worked on later.
miro likes this.
garw is offline  
post #134 of 1617 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Registered User
 
maki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Steffisburg, Switzerland
Posts: 1
Hello,
it's also available for the VX220??
an in km/h??

Greetings from Switzerland

Marcelgar
maki is offline  
post #135 of 1617 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,952
Updoots?
Coyne is offline  
post #136 of 1617 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Registered User
 
ulao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: O'town FL
Posts: 966
Garage
yeah I have a tablet in my car for the dash player. It has GPS in it, so be nice to somehow tie in to the via BT or whatever.

Also are there plans to use a bootloader for the usb for updates?
darkSol likes this.

Solar Yellow 07 (225 whp)
Katana 2 SC
Sector 111 Pro rad radiator
Larini SE Exhaust and Lotus Euro Grills
alarm mod ( 80 feet )
all recalls complete.
upgraded front speakers to 5.25, back to 6.5 added a 12 inch sub
AikShii's Glove box.
Nexus gen 2 custom made radio Bessel.
Garw.co Dash.
_____________________________________________
Mr2 87 - sold (1997-2004)
Mr2 01 - Wife's toy now (2000-)
Elise 07 - My DD (2014-).
_____________________________________________
ulao is offline  
post #137 of 1617 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 239
Working hard on GPS Laptimer .

Getting the algorithm right to ensure accurate detection.

Aluminium enclosure is looking too expensive so considering plastic .

Not the same quality but it will be all hidden when mounted so it does not seem worth the extra 100usd
Coyne likes this.
garw is offline  
post #138 of 1617 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulao View Post
yeah I have a tablet in my car for the dash player. It has GPS in it, so be nice to somehow tie in to the via BT or whatever.

Also are there plans to use a bootloader for the usb for updates?
There are 2 parts to the system , firmware is updated via rs232

And main software for the graphics is via usb drive

The firmware is only for major updates and less often and can be taken care of with a usb to serial cable.
ulao likes this.
garw is offline  
post #139 of 1617 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by maki View Post
Hello,
it's also available for the VX220??
an in km/h??

Greetings from Switzerland

Marcelgar
I have not confirmed compatibility yet , but they are very similar so I would not rule it out.
garw is offline  
post #140 of 1617 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 239
garw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome