Elise SC Service interval/recommendations - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Glen
  • 1 Post By indifferent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Elise SC Service interval/recommendations

I purchased a 2011 SC with 19,500 miles, and will be picking it up in 2 weeks. It has only been driven 500 miles in the last 2 years. The dealer went through their "pre-delivery inspection" but I'm looking for independent recommendations on what service should be done after so little driving over the past 2 years.

If there is an existing thread covering this, and/or the Elise service intervals, let me know and please point me in the right direction and I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Life's too short to not drive what you want
2011 Elise SC Carbon Gray (1 of 1)
BRG Mini Cooper S RHD
'14 WRX WRB
'01 Subaru RS Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 01:42 PM

Did you find out the service intervals? Is it any different than the S2?
I got the same year and model... and just drove the car 3500 km since the last oil change and filter change...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 04:56 PM
Nein Kinder

@11EliseSC - I have a 2011 Elise SC that I ordered from the factory. If I were in your position, I'd consider the following:

Replace
- oil and filter
- coolant
- brake fluid
- serpentine belt
- washer fluid (to avoid bacteria / algae growth, it could well be the factory fluid)

Inspect
- brake rotors and pads
- shocks (for leaks)
- alignment
- tires (tread depth and date code: if 5 years or older, replace without regard to tread depth)
- air filter
- wiper blade

My recollection is that Lotus recommends replacing the serpentine belt on supercharged variants every 12 months. Contradicting that, the service manual calls out an inspection for supercharged Exiges every 3500 miles / 6 months. The serpentine belt in supercharged engines makes some sharp turns compared to normally aspirated engines, so they're concerned about accelerated wear. With the little use your car has seen recently, I'd be concerned about the belt taking a set and then breaking when stressed.

There are lots of other things I'd be looking at on a new car, but these are the maintenance items I'd start with.

Glen
glb and DonTano like this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 05:14 PM

Oh, and while at it, check the SC oil level. Easy to do and usually not required before say 35k, but I have a brand new MP62 SC that loses oil.....so worth a check. The oil only lubricates the gears in the nose that drive the two SC 'screws' so not the end of world if they go bad, but losing oil is a sign of bearing seal failure or incorrectly installed seals. Again, not a big deal, but worth finding out before funny noises arise.
captain chaos likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

@Glen ; @indifferent ;
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Since I drove the car back home to VA in late Sept, I've driven short distances 2-3 times per week (~15miles) to keep everything operating and lubricated. Drives amazing, but didn't want to do too much too soon until I had this recommendation.

Now I'll start down this list to make sure I'm taking care of it correctly.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoe View Post
Did you find out the service intervals? Is it any different than the S2?
I got the same year and model... and just drove the car 3500 km since the last oil change and filter change...
Based on what @Glen and @indifferent have recommended seems you'd be fine doing 3500km since your last oil change. Also depends on how many months it's been. My car basically sat unused for 2+ years before I bought it, which is often harder on a car than driving it 100 miles every day.

The service maintenance info in my manual doesn't differentiate between S2 and S3. I can post or send you a pic of what the Lotus manual schedule is if you don't have it.

BRG Mini Cooper S RHD
'14 WRX WRB
'01 Subaru RS Coupe
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11EliseSC View Post
Based on what @Glen and @indifferent have recommended seems you'd be fine doing 3500km since your last oil change. Also depends on how many months it's been. My car basically sat unused for 2+ years before I bought it, which is often harder on a car than driving it 100 miles every day.

The service maintenance info in my manual doesn't differentiate between S2 and S3. I can post or send you a pic of what the Lotus manual schedule is if you don't have it.
Thanks guys this is very helpful. I drove the 3500km within these 3 weeks. I drove it down from Berlin to San Sebastian in Spain. The oil and oil filter were changed before I took the trip down, other than other maintenance checks. The car has some mileage on it (98,000 Km as of now). The owner before Daily drove it and so will I. Due to traveling quite often for certain periods I need to figure how to store it. Next trip I'm going away for 3 months. I presume I will have to do an oil service once I come back.

Can you @11EliseSC direct me to the manual please!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoe View Post
Thanks guys this is very helpful. I drove the 3500km within these 3 weeks. I drove it down from Berlin to San Sebastian in Spain. The oil and oil filter were changed before I took the trip down, other than other maintenance checks. The car has some mileage on it (98,000 Km as of now). The owner before Daily drove it and so will I. Due to traveling quite often for certain periods I need to figure how to store it. Next trip I'm going away for 3 months. I presume I will have to do an oil service once I come back.

Can you @11EliseSC direct me to the manual please!
Sure thing! Sounds like you're enjoying your Elise. The maintenance schedule isn't included in the main owner's manual. Mine came as a separate small booklet tucked beside the main owner's manual. It's maybe 8 cm x 10 cm in size. See pics attached. These are from my maintenance schedule booklet. It's also in miles, so you'll have to convert to metric. Sorry if they posted sideways....can't seem to get the pics to rotate upright. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

BRG Mini Cooper S RHD
'14 WRX WRB
'01 Subaru RS Coupe
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 04:07 PM

Thanks great! thank you so much! Do you know any OBD2 readers that work for our model?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 06:54 AM
Nein Kinder

@amoe - An excerpt from the factory shop manual showing maintenance intervals for the Elise and Exige is attached (pdf). This is the same info that @11EliseSC posted, just a little easier to read

Glen
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pages from 17. OI Maintenance & Lubrication.pdf (432.2 KB, 128 views)

2011 Lotus Elise SC

Last edited by Glen; 11-26-2016 at 07:01 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:12 AM

Sweet!! Thanks @Glen !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in