Elise won't start - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Elise won't start

Started her up this morning and got about 1 mile down the road, stopped at a stop sign then as I was pulling away the car immediately died on me. Engine turns over and everything, there's gas in the car, checked the fuses. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key over for about 2 or 3 seconds. I did press the inertia switch, which made a click sound, so for some reason that was tripped. It still wont start though. Not sure what the problem could be. Maybe a faulty fuel pump, even though I can hear it, it may not be sending fuel? Not too sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:26 PM
`08 Elise-SC-220

Here is a similar symptom description:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...-start-115081/

Shhh...Secret Squirrel
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:14 PM
glb

It is too easy to check for spark as the next step. Pull wire from plug in car, attach to another plug which you then ground. If spark, that's OK.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Similar symptoms in that other post. He didn't hear his fuel pump turning on though, I can hear mine. I'll check the spark and also taking the fuel rails off to see gas is being pumped through at all.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Pulled the fuel rail off and turned it over, fuel definitely came out. So it must be the spark plugs and not the fuel pump. Going to test that out in a bit.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I did pull the plugs just to inspect them and they had oil on the threads...
Attached Images

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:56 PM

Maybe the PO did this instead of anti seize, looks fine to me on the spark end...

Can you hold it against the block to confirm there is spark when it turns over?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Just tested all four plugs against the block and got no spark on all of them. Tried a new plug and still no spark. I also tested the voltage coming in from the ignition coil harness and was getting voltage. So all four ignition coil packs went bad? Seems odd.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Going off this checklist. Resistance of camshaft position sensor is 1100 ohms, so it's not that. Going to check crankshaft position sensor tomorrow. Trying to get to the bottom of this
Attached Images

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:09 AM

Seems like too much of a coincidence to me.

Can you check that the block is properly grounded? To quote from another thread I googled (an ad for an FF HKS Circle Earth Grounding Kit):

"The electrical system in the Lotus is borderline garbage from the factory with only a single ground lead from the transmission to the frame rail. We have been using grounding systems on these cars foe (sic) a while with some good results, especially on forced induction applications."

Kevin

1974 Europa Twin Cam (gone but not forgotten)
1971 Europa S2 (owned but two months; flipped to raise funds to fill gap in college tuition)
35 years of restraint (including an Odyssey with 13 cupholders)
2005 Elise (magnetic blue), starshield, chin guards, Penske nonajustable shocks (BWR), Mishimoto sandwich plate, AEM oil temp and pressure gauges, third brake light flasher, Larini Group B silencer, Sector 111 DSBrace
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpalooza View Post
Started her up this morning and got about 1 mile down the road, stopped at a stop sign then as I was pulling away the car immediately died on me. Engine turns over and everything, there's gas in the car, checked the fuses. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key over for about 2 or 3 seconds. I did press the inertia switch, which made a click sound, so for some reason that was tripped. It still wont start though. Not sure what the problem could be. Maybe a faulty fuel pump, even though I can hear it, it may not be sending fuel? Not too sure
Sorry that I can't help with your problem, but this caught my eye. What is the inertia switch? Where is it found, and what is its function? I have never heard of this before.

Good luck and I hope you get back on the road real soon.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:34 AM

Inertia switch is designed to shut off gas supply if you are in an accident, as a safety measure

1971 Europa S2 (owned but two months; flipped to raise funds to fill gap in college tuition)
2005 Elise (magnetic blue), starshield, chin guards, Penske nonajustable shocks (BWR), Mishimoto sandwich plate, AEM oil temp and pressure gauges, third brake light flasher, Larini Group B silencer, Sector 111 DSBrace
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Michael View Post
Seems like too much of a coincidence to me.

Can you check that the block is properly grounded? To quote from another thread I googled (an ad for an FF HKS Circle Earth Grounding Kit):

"The electrical system in the Lotus is borderline garbage from the factory with only a single ground lead from the transmission to the frame rail. We have been using grounding systems on these cars foe (sic) a while with some good results, especially on forced induction applications."

Kevin
Would the starter turn the engine over if the single ground wire was bad/disconnected? I'm thinking the ground is probably good based upon being able to turn the engine over but it would not hurt to use some jumper cables between the engine block and the negative terminal on the battery.
Good luck...

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:23 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Would the starter turn the engine over if the single ground wire was bad/disconnected? I'm thinking the ground is probably good based upon being able to turn the engine over but it would not hurt to use some jumper cables between the engine block and the negative terminal on the battery.
Good luck...
There is also a ground cable going to the head that can cause issues when not connected. I don't have a good picture of it at the moment, but it is on the driver's side of the head.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
There is also a ground cable going to the head that can cause issues when not connected. I don't have a good picture of it at the moment, but it is on the driver's side of the head.
Yes, if that ground is bad then I can see the problem might be the answer. Try the spark plug check with a jumper cable connected to the head and negative battery terminal.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:10 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Yes, if that ground is bad then I can see the problem might be the answer. Try the spark plug check with a jumper cable connected to the head and negative battery terminal.
You can try that, but I believe this ground goes into the ECU harness, I'd have to look at the wiring diagram again but it may be for some sensors, coil packs or something else in that harness.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

It did seem very odd that I wasn’t getting spark from any of the plugs. I’ll try grounding the head/block and do another spark plug test. Thanks for the responses
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 AM

in case you want to check that the coils still fire, OBD mode 0x2F, PIDs 0x0161 thru 0x0164 command the ecu to fire individual ignition coils when the engine is off.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
in case you want to check that the coils still fire, OBD mode 0x2F, PIDs 0x0161 thru 0x0164 command the ecu to fire individual ignition coils when the engine is off.
I know this is off topic, but does Obeisance know how to make the ECU activate the ABS?

If you google the celica forum, you see a lot of fingers pointing at the crank POS sensor. And they do point out the obvious pun.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:28 PM

Garage
I just went through same sort of diagnosis with another vehicle I just brought back to life. I know a crank position sensor can kill ignition, also cam position sensor. ( ask me how I know...)

Not sure what the usual suspects are on the eliges?

I had never noted that it is on a single ground strap. Will definitely be checking on that next weekend.

Your definitely narrowing the list of suspects down! Hope you get it sorted soon.

L O T U S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in