Exhaust recommendations - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust recommendations

I've read a lot of posts on the forum related to exhaust and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I figured I'd risk being told to search the forum more and would just ask 🙂. I'm not looking for anything louder, just deeper, and with no drone. A bit louder than stock is ok when on WOT, but not looking to piss off neighbors when keeping things off the big cam. I'd also like something lighter and with either stock exit locations or euro, no rear panel delete. Reading way back, it seems like there was a Lotus stage 1 that might fit the bill, but wasn't sure if those are still around and how they compare to more modern options. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:40 PM

You will hear lots of different opinions, THIS is my mine.
Perfect sound, quiet when around town and howls when on cam, and ABSOLUTELY no drone., perfect for everyday driving.

Boe REV 300 Supercharger.
Boe DMC Ultimate header.
Boe Clam Hinge.
Boe Pro Alloy Radiator.
Boe TOC wet sump oil pan.
Boe Fuel surge tank.
Boe Oil catch can.
Boe HP fixed rotors with Ferodo DS 2500 pads.
BWR Larini Group B Muffler.
BWR Street/Track Anti roll bar.
Mocal rear mounted oil cooler.
V2 steering arms,
Nitron Singles 425/550.
InoKinetic DS rear toe links.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRG53 View Post
You will hear lots of different opinions, THIS is my mine.
Perfect sound, quiet when around town and howls when on cam, and ABSOLUTELY no drone., perfect for everyday driving.

Hi CRG

Thanks for your recommendation. The description for that exhaust states that it is for NA motor, yet your signature states that you have the BOE supercharger. Also, your signature states that you have the Larini muffler. Is this a case of your signature being out-dated, or am I confused? Thanks for clarifying.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:54 PM

I used to have the 2Bular muffler on my car, sold it when I installed the Boe SC. The 2Bular is 2.250” diameter through the muffler, for SC setup you need a 2.5” diameter.
PS, I had the 7" diameter muffler.

Boe DMC Ultimate header.
Boe Clam Hinge.
Boe Pro Alloy Radiator.
Boe Fuel surge tank.
Boe Oil catch can.
V2 steering arms,
Nitron Singles 425/550.

Last edited by CRG53; 06-23-2019 at 07:01 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdirads View Post
Hi CRG

Thanks for your recommendation. The description for that exhaust states that it is for NA motor, yet your signature states that you have the BOE supercharger. Also, your signature states that you have the Larini muffler. Is this a case of your signature being out-dated, or am I confused? Thanks for clarifying.
Unfortunately 2bular has issues supplying local UK customers in a timely manner; I'd highly recommend going with another vendor

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone just keep the factory piping and exit tips and just replace the muffler with something that works well, but not specifically marketed to Elise?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Do a search. site:lotustalk.com xxxxxx

Boe DMC Ultimate header.
Boe Clam Hinge.
Boe Pro Alloy Radiator.
Boe Fuel surge tank.
Boe Oil catch can.
V2 steering arms,
Nitron Singles 425/550.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I've done those searches and there's nothing recent looking for deep, but not loud like I am.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_86 View Post
Yes, I've done those searches and there's nothing recent looking for deep, but not loud like I am.

Larini has a Group B system which is designed for restrictive track days, so it should be very quiet

https://www.elise-shop.com/larini-gr...d93bf0614bad14

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune

Last edited by TachItUp; 06-23-2019 at 08:40 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:53 PM
The Enforcer

You have your own expectations of what exhaust sounds 'deep' and not louder, so you should listen to exhausts personally to ensure you're going to get what you want. Personally, I would purchase an exhaust based on weight and the ability to repack it.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:56 AM

I went with PPE headers with "White Lighting" treatment and Silent Touch muffler. The tone is low and deep at idle and below 3K and wails at WOT. No drone at all. I have REV300 I found it very similar in loudness to the Exige S muffler that came with the car.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:39 AM

I got the Larini Group B at Fred Zust's (BWR) suggestion. I like it. I think it will work fine when I (eventually) get the BOE 300, but worth checking that with Andrew at BOE. I think I may have actually asked Andrew that specifically. Note that BOE gives you a custom tune based on what you have. I know GLB has a BOE 300 with a stock can, so I think anything is possible. Just may not be all you can squeeze out of it.

The sound is subjective of course. Mine came with a Stage 2, which I hated so much that I went to stock. But that got boring so I went to the Larini B, where I will (happily) stay.

1974 Europa Twin Cam (gone but not forgotten)
1971 Europa S2 (owned but two months; flipped to raise funds to fill gap in college tuition)
35 years of restraint (including an Odyssey with 13 cupholders)
2005 Elise (magnetic blue), starshield, chin guards, Penske nonajustable shocks (BWR), Mishimoto sandwich plate, AEM oil temp and pressure gauges, third brake light flasher, Larini Group B silencer, Sector 111 DSBrace
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:02 AM

Don’t get the factory stage 2 it drones like crazy. Sounds good but I need ear plugs on longer drives
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Did you compare the Larini B to the 2Bular?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 AM

BOE ST-5?

Anyone with a BOE ST-5 care to comment? Hopefully not too loud, straight through, re-packable, and I think it looks great with a naked rear end.

Donimo
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

I don't personally care for the naked rear end for around town driving. It has a purpose on a track, and has that raw look, but just looks unfinished to me otherwise. For reference, I had a PPI done by a body shop for an Elise I was thinking about that had a naked rear. When the guy was going over his report with me, he said something like, "It looks like there was some kind of collision in the rear and they just rigged the license plate to get it attached rather than fixing the rear end."
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:27 PM

This question is probably difficult to correctly answer as everyone has their own opinions on what they consider louder or deeper. Most aftermarket options will be louder than stock, deeper and quite a bit less to no drone. Most of those options have a youtube vid setup you can search for how it sounds. Honestly tho, still sounds slightly different from the vids vs in person. From your description, you probably want to stay away from stage 2(loud and alot of drone), but idk, I like it. Love the pops and gurgle it produces. I had an HKS exhaust, exit thru diffuser... louder than stock, quieter than stage 2, barely any drone if none, less pops, and great sound cruising. I was actually able to talk with my wife in the car! But I went back with the stage 2 just cause I liked it louder and more pops. *And didn't want to hear the wife as often*

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:40 PM

I have a SonicFury exhaust from Inokinetic. For me it is perfect because 1) there is NO drone and 2) it is quiet when just cruising around and screams when you drive her hard. Oh, and also much lighter than stock. Just my two cents worth.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:13 AM

2bular...nuff said
CRG53 likes this.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise
1971 Porsche 914
1992 Porsche 928 GTS (sold)
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:47 PM

Domino if you follow my link and jump to 2:40 you can hear the ST not ST-5 on the straight with PPE headers.
Donimo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in