Extra squeaks and rattles on hot days - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By steelypip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Kai

Extra squeaks and rattles on hot days

The last couple of days it's been 90F+ and I've had to park my Elise out in the sunshine. I've noticed that after it's good and heat soaked there are some new transient cabin noises. Especially coming from the windshield frame and dashboard. Once the car has had a chance to cool down the temporary noises go away.

Anyone else experience this?

Not worried about it. Just curious if it's typical or not.

2005 Lotus Elise - Storm Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:35 AM

Garage
Yes. Stuff grows when it gets hotter. Aluminum has a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than most other commonly used metals. The various plastics and composites in the bodywork all change shape as they get hot, too.

Japanese manufacturers spend years optimizing NVH treatments for their cars. Changes for NVH vary from the major (changing the shape of a stamped panel to reduce drumming) to the very minor (apply a wire tie here to keep these two cables from rattling against each other). It takes lots of engineering hours to do the analysis and find an effective resolution. Lotus probably doesn't even have an NVH engineer...
Mr.C and Spirit_R like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:16 AM
los

welcome to lotus ownership where squeaks, rattles and leaks are normal and to be expected lol.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:25 PM

Garage
I just recently bit the bullet and pulled my dash. My dash would get the super annoying, super loud squeak when it got hot. I first put some rolled up cloth to jam against the windshield and the dash. That fixed the squeak 90% of the time but on really hot days it got bad.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when I pulled my dash, you could see where the dash would rub against the black rubber part that runs up the side of the windshield. There were "Shiny" marks on where the two would meet and rub. So I put a few bits of sticky back felt where I saw the shiny parts (and there were rub marks one of the AC ducts directly under the center of the dash) and so far, I'm squeak free. I took it to a bogus Auto-x and man was it hot on the way home and no dash squeaks.

Lastly, the reason I never wanted to pull my dash was because of those passenger side air bag clips. I don't know if we can still get them or not but I just reattached my PS airbag cover with some high temp velcro I found at homedepot, hopefully it holds. I just wished i pulled my dash sooner.. Now if I could just get rid of that last squeak from the hard top..

Ken
06 Exige (now rev300 powered!)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:22 AM

Garage
Big car manufacturers use a slick polyethylene or polypropylene tape on the edges or planes of panels that might rub together. Its only purpose, obviously is to prevent squeaking. Getting clever with some small pieces of packing tape might achieve the same thing.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipendicular View Post

Lastly, the reason I never wanted to pull my dash was because of those passenger side air bag clips. I don't know if we can still get them or not but I just reattached my PS airbag cover with some high temp velcro I found at homedepot, hopefully it holds. I just wished i pulled my dash sooner.. Now if I could just get rid of that last squeak from the hard top..

Here you go!
https://www.lotusparts.com/a/Lotus__...IGE_1706b.html

CLIP-PASS AIR BAG COVER
Clip, cover to dash panel
A121U0117F R/B
Part # B121U0117F
$1.88 (Buy 4)
Attached Images

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy05 View Post

Here you go!
https://www.lotusparts.com/a/Lotus__...IGE_1706b.html

CLIP-PASS AIR BAG COVER
Clip, cover to dash panel
A121U0117F R/B
Part # B121U0117F
$1.88 (Buy 4)
Thank you... Have you ordered from them? Last time I ordered Lotus parts it was from Lotus garage and I think they are gone.. I've been looking for another Lotus parts supplier.. If they are good, i'm gonna stock up on them.. I regret not doing that last time..

I'll order 8...

Ken
06 Exige (now rev300 powered!)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipendicular View Post
Thank you... Have you ordered from them? Last time I ordered Lotus parts it was from Lotus garage and I think they are gone.. I've been looking for another Lotus parts supplier.. If they are good, i'm gonna stock up on them.. I regret not doing that last time..

I'll order 8...
No, I have not ordered from them. However, their website is easy to navigate and they seem legit. I would give them a try!

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:17 PM

Mine makes loud knocking noise from suspension when hot. Both my Elises I have owned did same.. so perfectly normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in