Factory bolt too big for rear Innovative mount? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Factory bolt too big for rear Innovative mount?

Hi all, about to install a rear Innovative mount.

The mount's metal sleeve in middle is smaller than the factory bolt.

Did you use a smaller diameter bolt as I've bought in the pics or drill out the innovative metal sleeve to fit the bigger bolt?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

You can see the difference in hole size here. Did you guys experience this smaller hole issue or is this an Innovative fault?
Attached Images

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:50 AM

My innovative mount used the same bolt as the OE mount

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:58 AM

The stock bolt worked for me too. Check for a burr on the inside of the sleeve. I was amazed that they leave it saw cut without any cleanup. If you don't have a deburring tool, try finding a drill bit that's too large for the hole and use the point to clean up the inside edge.

1970 Europa S2 Carnival Red
2005 Elise Krypton Green
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:01 AM

Welcome to the aftermarket. Files and hammers abound!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks @Falsey and @kapps . I'm actually quite shocked and disappointed at the quality control.

I thought it was the case as I saw pics like below where the sleeve is evidently thinner.

I don't think have the tools to drill it out and to be honest, I'd be worried about not drilling straight.

I have a track day on 11 August and don't know what to do now as you can see the factory mount was splitting.
Attached Images

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
Welcome to the aftermarket. Files and hammers abound!
Hey glagola, how do I enlarge the hole? Not sure if I have the tools? Gradually using bigger drill bits?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisuf View Post
Hey glagola, how do I enlarge the hole? Not sure if I have the tools? Gradually using bigger drill bits?
hahaha, I was just editorializing on the state of the aftermarket.

I mean, you have three choices:

1) Call the vendor you purchased them from and work to find a solution.
2) Enlarge the hole with a drill.
3) Use a smaller bolt.

I'd probably lean towards #2 myself but #3 is less work and probably not going to be an issue. Just keep an eye on it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:40 AM

Garage
Quote:

3) Use a smaller bolt.

I'd probably lean towards #2 myself but #3 is less work and probably not going to be an issue. Just keep an eye on it.
I wouldn't recommend option #3 because even though the smaller bolt would fit the mount properly and the smaller bolt MIGHT be strong enough for this application, the other hole that the bolt goes through will be larger to accommodate the factory bolt, this will allow movement that could eventually wear out the hole even larger and wear the bolt down as it does so.

If the problem isn't caused by burrs or some other minor restriction, I'd check with the manufacturer first. Drilling the mount so accommodate the factory size bolt would be my first choice if time is a factor. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the hole centered, the existing hole will act as a guide and help keep the drill centered.

2005 Ardent Red Elise, Gut Sport wing & splitter, custom diffuser, Sector111: DSBrace, gPan3, subStuffy2, Larini Sport muffler, decat pipe, Schroth Racing 5 pts, wheel studs, Team Dynamics 1.2 with Hoosier A6s, Koldflash 200 ECU flash, BOE rear clam hinge, BC Racing single adjustables, Hawk pads, SS Brake Lines, HID lights, custom tail and high mount brake light...and much more...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblast View Post
I wouldn't recommend option #3 because even though the smaller bolt would fit the mount properly and the smaller bolt MIGHT be strong enough for this application, the other hole that the bolt goes through will be larger to accommodate the factory bolt, this will allow movement that could eventually wear out the hole even larger and wear the bolt down as it does so.

If the problem isn't caused by burrs or some other minor restriction, I'd check with the manufacturer first. Drilling the mount so accommodate the factory size bolt would be my first choice if time is a factor. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the hole centered, the existing hole will act as a guide and help keep the drill centered.
Agreed.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:26 AM

You'll probably chip the edge off the drill bit going through a hole that's close to final size, especially by hand, but it is do-able. I do not believe that sleeve is hardened.

Or find a guy in your neighborhood with a lathe in the garage. Where are you located?

1970 Europa S2 Carnival Red
2005 Elise Krypton Green
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:08 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapps View Post
You'll probably chip the edge off the drill bit going through a hole that's close to final size, especially by hand, but it is do-able. I do not believe that sleeve is hardened.

Or find a guy in your neighborhood with a lathe in the garage. Where are you located?
A drill press should work fine but go slow. A reamer might be the right tool if the hole is that close to the correct size.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

3) Use a smaller bolt.

Thx, have contacted the vendor who has asked if I'm using for the right application. This car is a UK car so wonder if bolt size is different between UK and US spec?

They suggested I call Innovative directly but they closed at 3:30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblast View Post

Quote:
Agreed.
Thanks jetblast and glagola, will drill out the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapps View Post

I'm in Australia but there's a friend up the road who was a mechanic from the 60s. He said he can help with a drill press and guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
A drill press should work fine but go slow. A reamer might be the right tool if the hole is that close to the correct size.
Thanks lostpawn.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all once again, lathed out a bigger 12mm hole.

Quick one, needed to replace the factory bolt. I found one with a shank of similar length but the pitch is wider. Found another bolt of same pitch but shank is shorter (less strong?)

Which one to use? ��
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:50 PM

Ordered a Kit for my EU - Car and they fitted perfect.
Maybe you ordered the wrong version, or they send you the wrong mount.

I don't believe that it should be necessary to enlarge the hole.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

They pushed the incorrect pin in.

All good, pin lathed to m12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in