Factory Starshield no longer available? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Factory Starshield no longer available?

My body shop cannot find the factory Starshield for the front clam. Does anyone know if this has been discontinued? If so, any ideas on an alternate source? (2005 Elise)
Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 10:51 AM

It's not difficult to get paint protection film cut for the specific part of your Lotus that you're trying to cover. The patterns are out there and I think that most shops that do PPF can access them. You can also buy it cut to order and apply it yourself (though it can be very tricky to do correctly if you're not experienced--ask me ;-)).

Former owner of the great car in my avatar, now with a great new owner: 2006 Elise BRG sport, steel brake lines, RTDbrace, hardtop, black powder-coated wheels, Katana (finally working!), Moroso pan, BOE fuel kit, boost & oil pressure gauges, Blackwatch gauge bracket, Tillet seats, Schroth 6-points, Braille, Xtender, Dunlop Star Spec 205/50, 235/45 street , Rotas w/R888s track
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 10:57 AM

Here's one supplier: British Racing Group- Online Webstore

Former owner of the great car in my avatar, now with a great new owner: 2006 Elise BRG sport, steel brake lines, RTDbrace, hardtop, black powder-coated wheels, Katana (finally working!), Moroso pan, BOE fuel kit, boost & oil pressure gauges, Blackwatch gauge bracket, Tillet seats, Schroth 6-points, Braille, Xtender, Dunlop Star Spec 205/50, 235/45 street , Rotas w/R888s track

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:09 AM

The factory star shield is not as good as it could be, leaving the sections either side of the grill opening exposed. A film installer can make a custom one with better coverage
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:18 AM
He's on fire!

Paint Protection Film

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:57 AM

Factory Starshield no longer available?

Keith at Chuforia is a damn good guy. I highly recommend him. (Enough that I took my wifeís BMW to him when we bought it.) heís in Georgia, Iím in Texas.
http://www.chuforiagraffix.com/index...tegory&path=62

Well thatís he same link as jds posted above. So consider this a +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Magnetic Blue Elise - "the Lotus" (original I know)
1999 Jeep Wrangler
2013 335 M sport.
If you dont GET it after you drive it, then you dont GET it - serpent
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:58 AM

The factory starshield was nice, but film technology has moved on significantly in the last 10 years. Today, go with a newer film, custom cut. Not only will any seams be less visible, but the film itself will have better clarity.

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 12:29 PM

Agreed. My installer uses XPEL and it looks great.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies guys...I was not sure about the state of the technology. I think the Starshield is pretty high quality, but if the aftermarket products are even better, then I have no worries. Was trying to keep everything exactly factory original, but I guess this is not a huge deal.

Thanks again Lotustalk!!

Oh, and great link to the patterns jds62f...that will probably come in handy!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:10 PM

Starshield was manufactured by 3M...and it's junk. Technology has passed that crap by. XPel is all you need, end of story. 10-year warranty, self healing, no yellowing, easier on, easier off, just better in every way.

2006 Exige
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Sold my Exige S

Yes, avoid Starshield. There's no nano coating so it yellows with ease. Below is a yellow clump from my car only 4 years after the factory installed it. Xpel does have the Elise mold.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in