First Elise drive yesterday - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes
  • 7 Post By Reiver
  • 1 Post By Michael Z
  • 1 Post By glb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

First Elise drive yesterday

The Lotus showed up Thurs nite...great shipper btw..enclosed and plastic wrapped (Grace shipping).
After checking everything out...calling Lotus US to check on the recalls (hoses/shifter were done)...and I appreciate this forum for the info on everything...I checked all fluids (full tank of gas?) and adjusted everything physically and mentally and backed her out.

I love the steering, very precise and easy...good feel. Not as much feedback there tho as an older 911 (my metric for a comparison) but still fantastic.

The seller had the shift mech adjusted and it shifted very well...much better than I had expected reading some stuff here...easy, fast synchros and no searching for a gear....a better more modern box than the 911 915.....I like it. I will probably bolt the unit to the floor as has been suggested here but did not feel any movement distraction.

Once properly warmed up (thanks for that info def) I was on one of our 4 lane state roads and could hammer it...very nice above 6k...love that push, feels like a mini turbo coming on line. Sweet little 4.

Brakes...work well but I have the 2" way too deep into the pedal so can't heel toe common issue...I'll address that...btw, the fluid is fresh and the seller who knows Lotus bled them 5 times but still there....he is a dealer (Response Motors LLC) and also owns one....Graham is his name and he was an excellent guy to deal with and honest about any blemish etc....he prepped the car...all fluids/pads/tires new in back and adjusted the shifter knowing the issues etc....I recommend him if you are in the market for anything.

Vision....not as bad as expected....front and directly rear fine, driver side fine but a def blind spot passenger side...more convex glass in order.

Ergonomics are good, I like the simplicity and lack of extraneous widgets.....these seats need help tho...they are 12 years old so there is that....I'll re pad them with some modern gelfoam.

Visually the car is stunning..simply.

The soft top (no hard) is actually pretty damn nice...the seller had it religned so it is like new....yesterday was open top (AZ you know).

This is a purpose built, no real frills (ok, AC)...my wife said I can't take that out like I did on the 911....sportscar that leans more toward a racing vehicle than any I've owned.
Now I see why they are often sold after a short time and have few miles on them....many are not prepared for that reality...they may think they are but they've never been in a raw sportscar before. It is def a niche car...but if it is your niche you will love it.
I love it.

So, now I will work on the few things that need doing/upgrading to get it just so.

Colin Chapman would love this car....it embodies what he was all about....kudo's to the Lotus team for following thru.

BTW....I have no affiliation with the folks commented about above...just a good experience.

Last edited by Reiver; 12-09-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 12:58 PM

Welcome to the lotus family! One word of warning...upgrades are addictive

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukadog View Post
Welcome to the lotus family! One word of warning...upgrades are addictive

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Lol...believe me I know....if I listed my sports car addiction list you'd understand.

This is a very sweet purpose built ride...unique and a bit quirky and that translates to personality.

When the Japanese took a Lotus Elan to 'study' for the Miata they forgot the personality part....imo.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:51 PM

We've been fortunate to have a 2006 and 2011 with us over the the last 9 years. Since picking up the 06 (after speccing and ordering in 2005), and getting the '11 later, I can tell you that every time we see, drive, wash, or maintain the car (only have the '11 now), it's just like the first day!!
Great choice, enjoy, take care, and share your terrific car with others!
shinoo likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:53 PM

Awesome review and I love the comparisons! I can definitely relate to your statement, "Now I see why they are often sold after a short time and have few miles on them....many are not prepared for that reality...they may think they are but they've never been in a raw sportscar before." As much as I love driving it, I struggle to drive it more than 2 times (max) a week in fear parking lot incidents (people at my work park horribly).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:07 PM

Garage
Thanks for sharing your experience and enthusiasm. Sounds like you have done your homework.

The heeltoe pad that Shinoo has will get that brake pedal up just right

Name:  6043E333-BC3A-4BF9-9147-3E699181292F.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  97.6 KB

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience and enthusiasm. Sounds like you have done your homework.

The heeltoe pad that Shinoo has will get that brake pedal up just right

Attachment 1153625
Thanks for the tip...I was thinking of making one myself....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 PM
Less is Better

If your car is an '05, the heel and toe pad is not necessary. The gas pedal stops are adjustable, pretty easily, with instructions in the Lotus workshop manual. I'm not sure about the DBW cars.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 06:11 AM

Garage
I used the pad on our 05 to move the effective pad area to the right, as well as upward. It can be adjusted maybe three inches left to right

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 06:38 AM

I remember when I had *my* first beer too... LOL
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
If your car is an '05, the heel and toe pad is not necessary. The gas pedal stops are adjustable, pretty easily, with instructions in the Lotus workshop manual. I'm not sure about the DBW cars.
Thanks....I've just figured that out looking at some diagrams...I'll give that a shot first.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Thanks....I've just figured that out looking at some diagrams...I'll give that a shot first.
I found that the re position Lotus recommended set the pedal too low so you might want to play with it to see what's comfortable.

BTW, I've driven a number of non-PS 911s and 944s. I agree that they do have wonderful steering. Lot's of feel and feedback, sometimes to the point where it feels like you're fighting with the front tires. In addition to the feedback, the immediate steering response is amazing in the Lotus.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Tried adjusting the pedal and no joy...still engages too low for Heel/T....looked at the Sector 111 site and when I went to check out my security told me it was an unsecure site....someone trying to steal info....yesterday their site was down for awhile so I am suspicious...was going to look at their brake pedal pad....
I'll call them tomorrow altho the site said 'they are no longer taking phone calls' and that made me suspicious too....so many internet thieves out there.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 02:10 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Tried adjusting the pedal and no joy...still engages too low for Heel/T....looked at the Sector 111 site and when I went to check out my security told me it was an unsecure site....someone trying to steal info....yesterday their site was down for awhile so I am suspicious...was going to look at their brake pedal pad....
I'll call them tomorrow altho the site said 'they are no longer taking phone calls' and that made me suspicious too....so many internet thieves out there.
Sector111 is out of business. Shinoo sells most of the same products at inokinetic now.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
Sector111 is out of business. Shinoo sells most of the same products at inokinetic now.
Whoa there....the site will still take your info...thankfully I did not give up any other than address...thanks.

200 plus bucks for a pedal pad....really...I know, small volume...I think I'll make one.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 04:52 PM
glb

These cars are simply great!

Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.

Stay to the left of traffic, i.e. avoid passing on the right if you can.

Stop way behind trucks, SUVs, etc. Some have blindspots >50’. )

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

Re-Enforcer long thru bolts that terminate under car and tie down the tower:
https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/re-...y=Transmission

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait AT LEAST 20 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s for one example.

8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311...-u-tube-47232/

9. The stock radiators are prone to leaking where the end caps meet the metal part. Keep an eye on this. Most of us use single-pass all-aluminum radiators.

10. When your wheel well liner comes loose, skip the lame plastic rivet and use Well-Nuts instead.

11. Life will be better if you disable the auto-arming alarm function on the earlier cars. You won’t have to press a button to start the car. Instructions:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f320...ramming-70940/

12. Some on this site are a bit obsessed with hockey pucks for lifting the car. Don’t use these. Too hard and slippery, generally, and too small a surface area. Use a piece of wood, as your hero does.

13. Visit the Uber Thread

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/e...ow-here-25131/

14. Most parts on the car are made by Toyota and others, so buying things like a/c compressors, engine parts, etc. are wildly expense when purchased thru Lotus.

Toyota dealers, auto parts stores are way less expensive.

-----

Plus:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...brakes-241138/

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com
SufjansWasp likes this.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

glb...yes, thanks, I've seen that thread....this site has been a fantastic source of info on a small production run car....just excellent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in