Full Bolt Ons (FBO) - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post

No offense taken at all, I"m no expert, but I do play one on TV .
Glad to hear it.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
I had and tracked a mid 2000 subaru 5 speed and never broke anything. However I have not had the same drivetrain luck with the lotus...
If you bought it 2nd or 3rd hand it is hard to say if it is your fault or not. Typically failure of such parts occurs after much abuse, not due to one incident...things weaken over time...unless of course you happen to get unlucky a load up all the weight on one side of the car and the pressure transfers through the half shaft and shatters your diff...then maybe that one time.

Happened to a guy I know at nationals.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 08:40 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
San I know you well enough that I don't take offense to what you say...we are like minded in stating the obvious/logical thought...sometimes tact just evades us from time to time.

And I agree, trans life has a lot to do with how you treat it. I started driving stick when I was 12, and was allowed to drive a stick by myself since I was 14...I have always driven a stick, except for a select few cars I just bought to flip or my wife has driven. My current car will be converted to a stick next summer I hope (2005 Passat TDI, love this car).

But the OEM trans is the weakest link, hence the reason why Fred Zust at BWR is the MAN for making the most beautiful gear set in the world that will handle the power, abuse, and punishment. And he did it for what I consider to be very affordable for the serious track or power guy.

Lol...i will keep that in mind...but I will go for being the DD, as I don't drink, so I am happy with a Pepsi or a Coke.
Sometimes I've been less than tactful?

I have tried to be more respectful with my replies to forum members here. I wasn't always so forgiving. Long ago one of the moderators asked me to ponder if my input was helping the forum. It changed my outlook. Thanks Aedo.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 09:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Sometimes I've been less than tactful?

I have tried to be more respectful with my replies to forum members here. I wasn't always so forgiving. Long ago one of the moderators asked me to ponder if my input was helping the forum. It changed my outlook. Thanks Aedo.

San
In the beginning...you were blunt...but with time comes age and wisdom. Old Man.

And yes, I know why you are called Oldmansan.

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
I had and tracked a mid 2000 subaru 5 speed and never broke anything. However I have not had the same drivetrain luck with the lotus...
I miss my '05 STi terribly. Treated that car like a red-headed step child and never once had an issue in the 38,000 miles I had it. No way I'd try that with the Lotus.

2006 Exige
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 09:27 AM

Garage
Pretty much seems like everyone agrees that with 105hp per liter, the NA doesn't have much to gain from traditional bolt on mods.

Forced induction all the way! I did pop a stock block that was supposedly dyno'd at over 350 rwhp. My guess is that it was more like 275-300. I also agree with other that the transmission concerns probably depend on driving style. I have had no problems on my 2nd transmission, but damaged my first slamming gears at the drag strip. The horror! A Lotus at a drag strip!!

To my simple mind a turbo is more efficient than a supercharger, and there is no automatic reason to expect trouble because of the method of forced induction. If you put on a huge turbo that kicks like a mule, maybe it will tend break the rear end loose--I can understand that concern. Turbo technology has gotten so good these days, though. I especially like the twin scroll setups, where you can keep the spool time down and with proper sizing still achieve progressive power delivery.

On major appeal of superchargers for me is that they are easier. Less to choose from, and a more simple install. Seems like the installs can be done by most in their garage and a mail order tune will get you going. Whereas a turbo install can probably still be done in your garage, good luck on the tune.

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the thoughts...a lot of digest here lol but in the end the message is clear: get an SC lol. I guess I'll save up and get an SC... mean time I'll likely get an exhaust soon though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in