Garw LCD Dash - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 04:19 PM

fits fine but we need a larger binnacle.........im driving mine bare right now

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 02:07 PM

MASTER INSTALLATION AND OPERATION DOC??

I also posted this on the main thread:

I can respect that Garw is busy with production, but perhaps we could start a post that the originator could edit as we start to put down what we do know and have experienced. We could continue to correct and add to it and Garw could see it when he gets a chance and possibly answer or correct entries. If there is a better way than a single edited post, that's cool, too.

We could divide it into what we REALLY KNOW. 2. THINK we know 3. Don't know (QUESTIONS)

I have my dash running but don't know much at all. Is there someone with more experience that would volunteer?

Here are my questions:

1. In the RACE screen, tach shows top numbers 7,8,9 in red. Tach goes red at 7 even though I set shift at 8300 and redline at 8500. Can I change number colors and when tach goes full red?

2. I am assuming there is no screen that shows Cobra codes flashing? So to be safe, I may need to add an LED in case I need it later for Cobra. I don't care about LED flashing just to show alarm is armed.

3. In settings on RACE screen, what does VShift do/mean?

4. I assume no display of oil pressure or temps without adding sensors. But I wonder if the existing pressure sensor could make oil pressure display go red if reading is super low. It is triggering the low pressure warning light. I don't care what my pressure is exactly but LOVE a big light that goes red if I lose oil pressure on track. I have had them in race cars in the past.

5. Does anyone have the lap timer working? What did you use for GPS? I have a VBOX Sport that interfaces with my iPhone, but don't see it as a good linkup here.

2006 Elise, Graphite Grey/Red leather, Sport Elise Suspension, Cup airbox, ECU ref lash, MonoBalls, etc. etc.
1992 900SS Ducati Race Spec Built by Ferracci
2006 KTM 950 SuperMoto, a work in progress

Old stuff gone: Ferrari 275GTB/4, '69 1275 Cooper S. '72 500 Fiat, old Jags, etc. Never bought a boring car.
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 05:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
I can respect that Garw is busy with production, but perhaps we could start a post that the originator could edit as we start to put down what we do know and have experienced.
This was my point as well. I don't see why we keep recreating the same issue. Garw is too busy to make a FAQ or edit his OP. This post is great but again getting too big. I wish the OP author would reply and make a few simple edits to the OP so we can start compiling all of this great info.

apexdc - as in the direct client?

Solar Yellow 07 (225 whp)
Katana 2 SC
Sector 111 Pro rad radiator
Larini SE Exhaust and Lotus Euro Grills
alarm mod ( 80 feet )
all recalls complete.
upgraded front speakers to 5.25, back to 6.5 added a 12 inch sub
AikShii's Glove box.
Nexus gen 2 custom made radio Bessel.
Garw.co Dash.

Last edited by ulao; 02-16-2018 at 05:26 AM.

post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulao View Post
This was my point as well. I don't see why we keep recreating the same issue. Garw is too busy to make a FAQ or edit his OP. This post is great but again getting too big. I wish the OP author would reply and make a few simple edits to the OP so we can start compiling all of this great info.

It appears that, as in life, there are more spectators than players. If this new thread is not going to get real support, especially from the originator, then I feel the original long thread has more viewers and is likely to get more support for a common FAQ and instructions. Also, there are more people with orders as well as received dashes there.

I'm watching for another day or two. If someone takes the lead here, I will contribute what I know. If not, I'll start a long post on the original thread.

2006 Elise, Graphite Grey/Red leather, Sport Elise Suspension, Cup airbox, ECU ref lash, MonoBalls, etc. etc.

Old stuff gone: Ferrari 275GTB/4, '69 1275 Cooper S. '72 500 Fiat, old Jags, etc. Never bought a boring car.
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:43 AM

GARW has just stated in the other long thread that a user manual is very close to release, so that is where I am going, since that is where the manufacturer is.

post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:28 AM

Garage
Once I get my installed I'm happy to help collect data.

Quote:
So the name has nothing to do with the direct client?

Katana 2 SC
alarm mod ( 80 feet )
all recalls complete.
AikShii's Glove box.
Garw.co Dash.
post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

My intent with this thread was to do a reset and share what we have learned over the last two years since Garw started the "Long Thread". With over 1100 posts on 51 pages, that thread has become nearly unusable. I suspect that for every one person that has an answer, ten people have questions so the questions outnumber the answers and as some get their questions answered, they never return to help others. There is about 100 posts on the long thread that are helpful. That leaves over 1,000 posts of "I'm having the same problem". Originally, I didn't want to spend the $900 on the Garw LCD so I was hoping that people would share current pictures of how they modified their current instrument cluster with neon needles and new faces to give their dash an updated look without the cash outlay. That didn't really happen. I didn't end up getting my questions answered so I just threw down the cash to Garw and am waiting for my order to arrive....which will probably bring up a whole list of questions on my part.

I do appreciate those that posted videos on this thread about how to disassemble the dash and install the Garw unit. That can be found on page two of this thread rather than having to sift through to page 42 (or whatever it is) of the long thread and I hope that it is helpful to know that whatever is posted here is up to date and not two years old.

That being said, I don't know where to go from here with this thread. Garw didn't jump on board like I had hoped and say "yes, let's start over" so maybe all I have done is made it harder for people to get answers to their questions by splitting everyone's posts into two threads. There was another guy that had started a thread about his dash modifications that was several years old but none of his pictures or product links were functional...but he never jumped in here with help either.

For this post to work as intended, people need to stay on topic and not just chime in with their "me too's". If I don't get constructive and helpful posts, I will just remove all of this and we can just go back to sorting through the 1142 pages on Garw's thread.
rsamani likes this.
post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Yeah support is not great...all these options and abilities and no real way to know how to approach it. Make a friggin basic manual already!!!
rsamani likes this.
post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 AM

Nice looking cluster.. just not comforting about mileage logging on the OEM cluster if reverting back.. sounds like a grey area for mileage adjustments, rollbacks, TMU, etc.
post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 PM

A manual or a wiki seem more useful than threads for this kind of data. Let's hope the manual comes out soon and answers all questions.
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_bondy View Post
A manual or a wiki seem more useful than threads for this kind of data. Let's hope the manual comes out soon and answers all questions.
hes had a manual for a bit now... on its 2nd revision actually (1.1 added an extra page for oil sensors wiring diagram)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/20...30544861654059

that pdf is located on this page (under documents section)... https://garw.co/products/garw-ic7?variant=31500847301

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_bondy View Post
Let's hope the manual comes out soon and answers all questions.
I'm not sure what hurts more, the fact someone would think this or the coffee coming out of my nose after reading it.

Katana 2 SC
alarm mod ( 80 feet )
all recalls complete.
AikShii's Glove box.
Garw.co Dash.
post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:38 PM

By the way guys - "VShift" alters the vertical positioning of the entire display image. This was added to accomodate various height drivers looking over the steering column.
post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:27 PM
Toys Performance

Hi Guys,

How do you get a backup camera to work with the GARW? Can you directly hook up a USB camera or do you need to get some sort of analog converter to USB and then use a regular back up camera? For people that have done this, what parts did you use?

Fast Toys Performance - FTP
www.fasttoys.net
Toll Free # 877-955-4896
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 04:40 AM

Garage
Short answer, bug Garw.

Long answer, You don't. There is a W.I.P or possibly hidden feature to do it but it is not ready yet. You will use it like the dash cam with a usb cam and it will come on when in revers but yeah, have seen the demo and no word on it. I asked and was told it's not ready yet.

Katana 2 SC
alarm mod ( 80 feet )
all recalls complete.
AikShii's Glove box.
Garw.co Dash.
post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 06:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Toys View Post
Hi Guys,

How do you get a backup camera to work with the GARW? Can you directly hook up a USB camera or do you need to get some sort of analog converter to USB and then use a regular back up camera? For people that have done this, what parts did you use?
This was covered under the main Garw page and many of us have done it. Check out the link.
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...ml#post5413529

You have to cycle thru the different screens to pull up the camera input and I have about 70% success rate of it working. Sometimes, I just get a blank black screen. I have my camera hooked up to a switch as I don't want to keep power to it unless I'm using it and that's probably causing some of my failures (I.e. I may need to turn on the camera sooner, etc).

I bought the Febon one and its quite large. I didn't want to hide the USB cable as you need both usb ports to update the dash so I have my adapter right next to my radio and it barely fits between the radio and the column.

Ken

Ken
06 Exige (now rev300 powered!)
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:46 AM

Garage
That has little to do with a back up camera, that is a dash cam.

Backup Cam:
1) A camera.
2) A reversible horizontal image
3) Reverse gear sensor.

You need all 3.

This dash cam option takes 5 seconds to come on, that is all you need to back up so by the time your done it had just starting coming on. The image is reversed, not only is that extremely dangerous its defeats the point. Also you need to hit the stupid button, who is going to do that?

Disclaimer, Garw is not advertising this as a back up cam, he calls it a camera source. He also says he is working on the dash cam. There is a youtub out there on it in development.

Katana 2 SC
alarm mod ( 80 feet )
all recalls complete.
AikShii's Glove box.
Garw.co Dash.

Last edited by ulao; 09-28-2018 at 09:54 AM.
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulao View Post
That has little to do with a back up camera, that is a dash cam.

Backup Cam:
1) A camera.
2) A reversible horizontal image
3) Reverse gear sensor.

You need all 3.

This dash cam option takes 5 seconds to come on, that is all you need to back up so by the time your done it had just starting coming on. The image is reversed, not only is that extremely dangerous its defeats the point. Also you need to hit the stupid button, who is going to do that?

Disclaimer, Garw is not advertising this as a back up cam, he calls it a camera source. He also says he is working on the dash cam. There is a youtub out there on it in development.
When its all you got, you don't complain. In the Exige, you can't see anything behind you and trust me, I use mine all the time. Its not as convenient as one in a modern OEM system but its actually much better than seeing the reverse camera in my 3" stereo head unit, like I had before. Also, its way more dangerous not having it than waiting a few seconds and pushing a button to get it to work and almost all rear view camera invert the picture, as does mine.

The guy was asking what you use to hook up a rear view camera and you didn't answer the question but garw did answer that exact question. No one asked if it was a reverse camera input but I do use it just for that and was one of the main reasons I bought the dash... so I could ditch my stereo HU for a better one with out a video input. I seriously can't live with out a reverse camera.

Ken

Ken
06 Exige (now rev300 powered!)

Last edited by hipendicular; 09-28-2018 at 05:41 PM.
post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 03:46 AM

Garage
No if you read his post it clearly says "how do you get a backup camera" (this is a camera that comes on when backing up, being the point) . Backup and reverse are nearly interchangeable. Not only does it not work as a backup (as I already pointed out), there are no mechanics to make it active on backup or reverse. So its a camera view and that is all.

On a more constructive topic about the make shaft rear view mode ( And I have to admit I'm not as convinced). I feel the same as you in the way that we need this and I made one work on my radio dash ( I have a tablet installed). Unlike GARW here it does come on when in reverse and shows the inverted view as it should. When GARW came out I saw the demo and assumed it worked so I removed my backup set up. The issues above pretty much make it so unusable I don't use it at all. I'm all for making this better but expecting a person to wait 5 seconds to get it all set up to back up is very counterproductive. The best you can hope for is to 1) expect you are going to have to do this manually. 2) Wait for it to activate. 3) Do not turn left if you see an object on the right or you will hit it.

Anyways, yes what you mentioned is all spelled out in the manual. There is no reason to go to the link. In the same sense that our cars need a back up view, I'd also expect anyone that bought this would have read the manual. There is a lot more then setting up a camera view to use this thing and if you have not, I suggest you read the manual.

That last note here and more to the point is that we need to not accept this and get people aware to push for the feature. It's overdue and (agree with you) We need it. Also it's nearly complete, I wonder what he is waiting on?

Although we clearly do not agree with the feaure maybe we can help each other here?

Quote:
I have my camera hooked up to a switch as I don't want to keep power to it unless I'm using it and that's probably causing some of my failures (I.e. I may need to turn on the camera sooner, etc).
--What do you mean, and why? For me I put a usb cam on this and when the dash goes to sleep so does the camera, no need for a switch?

Katana 2 SC
alarm mod ( 80 feet )
all recalls complete.
AikShii's Glove box.
Garw.co Dash.

Last edited by ulao; 10-01-2018 at 03:59 AM.
post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:03 AM
Toys Performance

Looks like the dash locks up on me every time I take it for a drive. I get about 10-15 mins and then the speed freezes. Oddly, it keeps on accruing mileage at whatever speed it locks up at. For those of you that have screen locking issues, how often does it happen?

Fast Toys Performance - FTP
www.fasttoys.net
Toll Free # 877-955-4896
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in