Getting my ducks in a row for maintenance - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Getting my ducks in a row for maintenance

Hey yall, Im about to change all fluids in my 05 and was looking for some advice.
Im going with Castol EDGE 5w-40 for oil and a mobile 1 filter, easy enough to find at Oreilys. That having been said Im having some issues finding the coolant. I want to use Peak Global Lifetime but Im just not seeing it. Ive checked NAPA and walgreens (they have it but its out of stock with no idea on reorder). Anyone have any other sources? Also on this Ive read here, somewhere, that a 170deg thermostat is a good idea. I cant find the thread so Im not sure of type and all.
Also looking for any other "gottchas" that I may run into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:13 AM

I have used the 'red' coolant for Toyatas

I know of no reason to change to a lower thermostat for a street car
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:48 AM

Garage
Donít use green antifreeze and must quality red/orange antifreeze will work just fine (see below). I agree with @exigegus , changing the thermostat might not make much of a difference on a mainly street driven car. If you drain the coolant or do a coolant flush, make sure to follow the procedure in the service manual so you donít end up with air pockets in the cooling system. Do you know when the brake fluid was last changed/flushed in your car? I know that most people don't realize that Lotus recommends changing it once a year, which is probably over-kill for most cars but brake fluid is hydrophilic and can cause corrosion in the system.

TL/TR: Regular (green) antifreeze is composed of water mixed with methanol and ethylene glycol. Red/Orange antifreeze (sometimes generically called DEX-COOL which is GM's name for it), as well as other organic acid antifreeze, are not glycol-based. Instead, DEX-COOL is created out of a combination of different phosphates and silicates as well as the organic acid technology (OAT). What you are looking for is antifreeze that says it contains organic acid technology (OAT), conventional antifreeze doesnít use OAT, and most car manufacturers use the same OAT specification when they specify their coolant requirements.

2005 Ardent Red Elise, Gut Sport wing & splitter, custom diffuser, Sector111: DSBrace, gPan3, subStuffy2, Larini Sport muffler, decat pipe, Schroth Racing 5 pts, wheel studs, Team Dynamics 1.2 with Hoosier A6s, Koldflash 200 ECU flash, BOE rear clam hinge, BC Racing single adjustables, Hawk pads, SS Brake Lines, HID lights, custom tail and high mount brake light...and much more...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:38 AM

Garage
Coolants: You can use any of the Japanese manufacturer OEM coolants (Toyota red, Subaru blue, etc). They're all formulated for the seals and metallurgy in Lotus/Toyota cooling systems. I think I saw reference recently that Lotus has (finally) approved Toyota red for the Toyota powered cars, so you'd even be OK under warranty if that were a concern.

Peak global lifetime is available in premix at Walgreens. I've also seen it in grocery stores (Harris Teeter locally). I'm still running it because my car has a young change of PGL in it. When I do major work and have to dump everything I'll change to Toyota red.

Critical: If the coolant you choose requires dilution (not a premix), dilute only with distilled or deionized water. A lot of chemistry goes into making antifreeze cope with minerals in the dilution water, and the chelating agents required tend to be unkind to seal materials and cause deposits. Much better to not have the Ca++ ions in the water to begin with. All coolants work better with DI/distilled water as a diluent, and the JDM coolants like Toyota red generally require it for warranty coverage.

BTW, if you're a cheapskate - its summer. Your house air conditioner and any dehumidifier is making distilled water as a waste product right now. My downstairs HVAC has a convenient pump that dumps all the condensate out in the lily bed behind the house. Every other summer or so I roll a plastic water cooler bottle out in the back yard and stick the pump hose in it to get five gallons of distilled water for cooling system and battery work and the occasional pressing of a shirt or trousers.

Don't change to a lower temp thermostat unless you're going to be only tracking the car. You need the water jacket temperature as high as safe for good oil moisture and dilution management.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in