LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Lotus Elise (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/)
-   -   Headlight cover broke. is it repairable? (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/headlight-cover-broke-repairable-472498/)

Darren Donovan 09-10-2019 11:41 AM

Headlight cover broke. is it repairable?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I was getting gas and noticed that the right headlight cover seemed a bit out of place. I just wiggled it a little and it came out. I drove 35 miles through a twisty canyon road to work this morning, rather spiritedly. Lucky it didn't just fly off. Looking at the underside of the cover, there are 3 brackets that appeared to be sheared off. Is my best option to just get a brand new cover? And where can I buy it?
Thanks!!!

steelypip 09-11-2019 06:28 AM

Yes, it's repairable. I'd do it by riveting some thin aluminum where the mount clip nuts were, and then pop some new clip nuts on. A better question is just how it got broken. Is there any sign of scuffing, or were the fasteners just really overtightened?

PeteB37 09-11-2019 06:52 AM

steelypip 09-11-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteB37 (Post 5978580)

GRP does it again - thanks for the heads-up! Exactly the fix I was thinking of in a ready-to-go kit form.

Kubera 09-11-2019 08:35 AM

I actually came up with a simple way to repair it. No need to purchase anything.

Drill hole close to the tab location, insert zip tie into drilled hole, put zip into the clam hole and secure the zip tie with a washer. It is simple and you can always cut the zip tie if you ever need to remove the head light cover :D

PM me if you need any help.

blaising 09-11-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubera (Post 5978592)
I actually came up with a simple way to repair it. No need to purchase anything.

Drill hole close to the tab location, insert zip tie into drilled hole, put zip into the clam hole and secure the zip tie with a washer. It is simple and you can always cut the zip tie if you ever need to remove the head light cover :D

Clever. There should be a repository of quick cheap fixes on these cars that have been discovered over the years..maybe there already is?

Mobius97 09-11-2019 10:00 AM

@blaising

Ask and you shall receive -quote by some dude.

Lots of useful info and fixes documented at Sands Mechanical Museum

Lotus Elise at the Sands Mechanical Museum

Darren Donovan 09-11-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubera (Post 5978592)

I assume that the car will need to be on jack stand, and remove front wheel for any work relating to the headlight?
Thanks!!

Darren Donovan 09-11-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelypip (Post 5978576)
Yes, it's repairable. I'd do it by riveting some thin aluminum where the mount clip nuts were, and then pop some new clip nuts on. A better question is just how it got broken. Is there any sign of scuffing, or were the fasteners just really overtightened?

I don't know. I've had the car only since March, and the cover just came loose. I expected to find broken pieces like clip nuts, black plastic remnants of the brackets that broke, but nothing. Weird. Maybe, just maybe, it's been loose like that since I bought the car, but never was displaced enough for me to notice until yesterday. :facepalm:surprise:

steelypip 09-11-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Donovan (Post 5978638)
I assume that the car will need to be on jack stand, and remove front wheel for any work relating to the headlight?
Thanks!!

Maybe, maybe not. If I rotate the wheels to the right angle, I can actually get all three embellisher mounting screws out with the car sitting on its wheels in the garage. It does get easier if you jack the front end up a little - the suspension droop is convenient.

Discovering the no jacking required trick allowed me to adjust my headlights quicker when I was fixing the stock too low/too high adjustment.

To get the screws loose/tightened in I used a 3/8" ratchet and an appropriate-sized allen socket.

Kubera 09-11-2019 11:20 AM

@blaising Creativity does not have a manual! :D
@Darren Donovan yes it will require to remove the front wheels and have the car on jack stands

Verichai 09-11-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Donovan (Post 5978640)
I don't know. I've had the car only since March, and the cover just came loose.

I think this is pretty common, I had almost the exact same experience after I bought my car. Looked like the PO used some sort of putty that cured to hold the headlight bucket on.

I used the plumber's strap/rivet method to reattach it and ordered the GRP kit, but have not gotten around to installing it.

ScottH83 09-12-2019 02:11 PM

Yep, pretty common.
I had this same problem as well. I used the kit from GRP, worked great. I bought the kit for both sides for when the other one falls out.
Those housings new from Lotus are $900 [emoji2957].

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kubera 09-17-2019 05:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Posting my zip tie repair, quick and easy: