Help CEL and OBD2 scanner - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Help CEL and OBD2 scanner

I have a Check engine light on my (boe rev 400) sc 06 Elise. It seems to sputter at high rpms on WOT. More so in 1st and 2nd gear. It seems to be getting worse gas mileage too.

I have an iPhone so I purchased the ELM 327 which I read works with WiFi for the iOS and I downloaded OBD fusion and dashcommand. Itís works on my Pontiac and dodge but not on my lotus.

I know the autozone style readers do not work and am wondering what all of the rest of you use. Iím dying to find out the code so I can get this fixed ASAP.

Iíve changed out the spark plugs and coil packs due to possible arcing with no difference. 02 sensor issue???

Any recommendations on a possible fix is appreciated! Also Iíve read some old posts on obd2 code reader solutions for 05 Eliseís. What are you guys using these days that works to scan codes on an 06? If you have an 06 Elise and have a solution that works pleases post the model number! I think after posting this Iíll try an android tablet this time with my WiFi reader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:12 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonm84 View Post
I have a Check engine light on my (boe rev 400) sc 06 Elise. It seems to sputter at high rpms on WOT. More so in 1st and 2nd gear. It seems to be getting worse gas mileage too.

I have an iPhone so I purchased the ELM 327 which I read works with WiFi for the iOS and I downloaded OBD fusion and dashcommand. Itís works on my Pontiac and dodge but not on my lotus.

I know the autozone style readers do not work and am wondering what all of the rest of you use. Iím dying to find out the code so I can get this fixed ASAP.

Iíve changed out the spark plugs and coil packs due to possible arcing with no difference. 02 sensor issue???

Any recommendations on a possible fix is appreciated! Also Iíve read some old posts on obd2 code reader solutions for 05 Eliseís. What are you guys using these days that works to scan codes on an 06? If you have an 06 Elise and have a solution that works pleases post the model number! I think after posting this Iíll try an android tablet this time with my WiFi reader.

Does your car have traction control? The Elige traction control cuts power and the one time I had it kicking in (bald tires) it felt like the car was sputtering. I turned it off and it smoked the tires and ran fine. I bought new tires.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No, I do not have traction control. I wish it was as easy as turning something like that off!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:

I use Dashcommand with an ELM reader, so it *should* work. I don't think I had to do anything weird either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Does your car have traction control? The Elige traction control cuts power and the one time I had it kicking in (bald tires) it felt like the car was sputtering. I turned it off and it smoked the tires and ran fine. I bought new tires.

San
Come on San, TC won't throw a CEL...

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Addict

Garage
Not sure about the 06 but think those cheap Bluetooth OB2 dongles and most phone apps will read the Elige codes. I have heard of some cars having bad ports though.

Is the sputter well after 2nd cam kicks in or at about that point? Cat? New install of the Rev400 or have you had it running fine for a while with this setup?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Not sure about the 06 but think those cheap Bluetooth OB2 dongles and most phone apps will read the Elige codes. I have heard of some cars having bad ports though.

Is the sputter well after 2nd cam kicks in or at about that point? Cat? New install of the Rev400 or have you had it running fine for a while with this setup?

It seems to occur a little after cam change. I believe the rev 400 tune brings the cam change lower so itís seems sputtering happens well after. The install is from May this year. It was fine for the first couple of months and recently started. Only change since is I installed a titanium exhaust.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:48 PM

if you can force the elm327 to use the iso-9141 protocol, then i would expect it to work. when it fails to connect, does the gauge cluster act strange? if so, then i would guess it's trying to use CAN for OBD.

if it is trying the iso-9141 protocol and still fails, then maybe the k-line transceiver is malfunctioning in the ecu. I'm just making a guess.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:50 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Come on San, TC won't throw a CEL...
The CEL wouldn't necessarily be related.

San

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
if you can force the elm327 to use the iso-9141 protocol, then i would expect it to work. when it fails to connect, does the gauge cluster act strange? if so, then i would guess it's trying to use CAN for OBD.

if it is trying the iso-9141 protocol and still fails, then maybe the k-line transceiver is malfunctioning in the ecu. I'm just making a guess.

I have the Garw dash and seems normal. It seems to detect the WiFi connection but does fully connect. I tried the iso 9141 and it failed.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Iíve tried increasing the connection time with no success. Spent a lot of time fiddling with the fusion and dashcommand apps. Iím willing to abandon this method if anyone knows of a reasonable normal plug in device that can tell the codes for my Elise.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:07 PM
The Enforcer

Maybe try Autozone tomorrow. They used to lend out code readers and maybe they have one and will pull the code for you.

San

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Maybe try Autozone tomorrow. They used to lend out code readers and maybe they have one and will pull the code for you.

San

I tried them the other day. We ran it but when the guy plugged it in to their computer they didnít have Lotus in their system. He said theyíre scanners donít work on all foreign cars.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:44 PM
The Enforcer

I've got a generic OBDII reader I bought at Autozone. It works fine on my Lotus and previously my C6. It's an actron CP9125.

San

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks San Iíll give that a try.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:05 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Thanks San Iíll give that a try.

I plugged it into my Lotus before I posted, but I've used it before in the past. I didn't have any codes to pull, but it does establish a link and realizes there aren't any codes to pull. It can also verify the monitors are ready, (misfire, fuel, comprehensive, catlyst, heated cat, evaporative, secondary air monitor, A/C, O2 sensor, O2 heater and EGR) and if a MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) is on or off. I think it was $50-60 when I bought it. Good luck!

San

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
I tried them the other day. We ran it but when the guy plugged it in to their computer they didnít have Lotus in their system. He said theyíre scanners donít work on all foreign cars.

They should be able to skip the make/model and read the generic codes, which is all of them for us.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:28 AM

This sounds like the ole P0012 code blown fuse issue. Check the fuses in the engine bay, near the fire wall. I had the same symptoms. Replaced the fuse, presto it was fixed.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey thanks for the tip. I just received my obd2 scanner from eBay (15 bucks!) from Sanís recommendation and itís reading two codes. P1301 and P0606.

Going to do some research and try checking out the fuses and ground connections.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:00 PM

i believe that the P0606 error is the software watchdog timer, and that the P1301 is a misfire.

My recommendation would be to check for spark/injector control wire short to ground. such a short could lead to erratic combustion control, as you have observed. @kfennell has experience with this.

in my mind, it is plausible that such a short could affect the ecu, but im not sure how it could trip the watchdog unless it made the ecu service some interrupt continuously. i wouldn't worry about that code unless it comes back even after fixing the misfire.

Last edited by Obeisance; 09-06-2019 at 12:05 PM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
UPDATE: Cleared the codes and CEL has yet to come back on.

Now Iím thinking my sputtering issue has something to do with traction control. When I installed the grp gated shifter I remember a green harness that nothing plugged into near the hazard and door lock harness. Seems to be the traction control plug without the switch. Doing some further research and reading older posts regarding traction control seems like I can add the switch and turn it off to eliminate the sputtering at high rpm. This has never happened before my rev400 install so maybe this was added in the tune to my ecu or this newfound power seems to now trigger it???? @turbophil

Might take a chance to buy the switch or make my own and test that or maybe my ecu can be configured for it to be permanently turned off.

Has anyone else come across the blank harness under their console?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in