How much do you expect to pay? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Question How much do you expect to pay?

Just curious how much people expect to pay when the car gets here? Now, I am not asking about the specific price, but how much compared to sticker? I know that some dealers will probably try a huge markup because it is new and in demand. What have you been told by dealers? I have heard dealers say that they would sell them at or 'near' sticker, and then say that it depends on how many they get. About to put down a deposit, and was curious.

Also, I live in the Lotus-free central valley in California. I will have to do some driving to pick up a car, so the two dealers in the bay area, or southern california works. Park Place in Bellevue, WA also is an option. (That would be a great drive home!) What dealers do people consider reputable? I know there is a lot of good stuff said about Symbolic, but they also have a much longer deposit list already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up

Symbolic's policy is that they will sell the Elise at MSRP, which at this point in time is $38,500. This will include a/c, AFAIK. Optional hard-top will be an additional $1,500.

Cheers !

Covered in Brandy and Lard
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. Maybe I will call down there today and add my name. I have called several places, and didn't like the wishy-washy attitude I got from a couple of them.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 11:58 AM

Give Gunther Lent a call, at Symbolic in BH. Very good guy, very straightforward.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 12:24 PM

In the Bay Area talked to a salesman at Boardwalk (Redwood City) was asking for a $5k markup. Have a deposit down in Los Gatos. As of 2-3weeks ago only 9 ppl on the list. They put it writing - to be sold at MSRP. Been dealing with one of the GM's, Scott, he's been there for 20yrs. They sell Ferrari, Lombos, ... Have a 11 bay garage and seem to know there stuff.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

I spoke to Boardwalk too... Needless to say, that is what prompted the question. What was the deposit at Los Gatos. Boardwalk wanted $3000.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 12:49 PM

Let's just say I didn't get a good feeling talking to the guy at Boardwalk. Los Gatos, asking $2k up front and another $1k when the order is place, of course fully refundable. Been getting CC ofer for 0% APR for 6 or 12months, going to roll the deposit onto one of those, intrest free min. payments sure make it easy on the pocketbook
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 03:08 PM

My contract says MSRP and I'm expecting it to be in the $38k-$40k range.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 04:40 PM

Interesting point, $38,500 is about 24,000 which is pretty much the UK price "on the road" price.

Considering you guys usually pay 2/3 of what we pay here in the UK for cars, there's a clear premium in there.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 08:30 PM

I have been told that LotusUS is *requiring* dealers to honor MSRP for pre-purchases. Also heard repeatedly, 38,5.

I'm just hoping that the local guys (Viking Motorsports - Harry Appleby) will get their act together and startup a retail business. When Lotus of Orange County went down in a big drug bust, I lost two great things. First, there was a Lotus dealer less than a mile from home. Second, they *stocked* a 340R and an Exige. If one sold, they wouldn't release it until they got a replacement. Apparently those two cars brought in more business than all of the Lambos and Esprits you could pack in the place. Sales staff was decidedly sleazy though...never felt right leaving a deposit with them. Guess I'm glad I trusted my gut on that one!

1991 Mazda Miata "B" - E Stock
1990 Honda CRX Si - G Stock
1999 Honda/Energy XS125 - F125
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 11:20 PM

Quote:
When Lotus of Orange County went down in a big drug bust, I lost two great things.
And we worry about the local dealers not washing our cars properly after a service

Last edited by jrgibb; 03-17-2003 at 05:47 AM.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrgibb
And we worry about the local dealers not washing our cars properly after a service
Yeah. Apparently quite a few legitimately owned cars were confiscated. One day the feds showed up and took everything but the sign.

It was interesting speaking with them though. The guy was full of the usual sales crap (had been checking out a full race 72 Mini) until I told him that I was interested in the Elise. Instantly, he changes his tone and says, "okay, you put $3K down and your name goes on the list. You'll be #3 or 4, depends on when we finalize the contract with another guy. No interest on the money. You pay MSRP for the car when it gets here. You get no choice of color or options. That's the deal, take it or leave it." The BS instantly ENDED with the Elise. I still have that guy's business card. <shrug>

I'm hoping that Harry and crew at Viking will develop a small dealership. Harry trained at Hethel in the 60's and knows Loti better than anyone else I've ever met. Amazing what that guy has tucked under his cap. And I don't get that weird feeling that I did with the other guys.

1991 Mazda Miata "B" - E Stock
1990 Honda CRX Si - G Stock
1999 Honda/Energy XS125 - F125
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 09:55 AM

a 2 year plus wait and you don't get any choice of colour or options? That's long enough for even Hethel to get it right!!!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 05:52 AM

Quote:
a 2 year plus wait and you don't get any choice of colour or options? That's long enough for even Hethel to get it right!!!
Maybe they'll send VX220s with Lotus badges on and hope no one notices.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 07:01 AM

FWIW Steve Harris Imports is not requesting *ANY* money up front. They have a list and say they will honour it. A couple of weeks ago there were only 5 on the list. BTW they have also said MSRP will be the price. I like an upfront dealership. I have no association with them other than a happy ( read #1 !) waiter.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 08:03 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
I was told $37-38.5k and it would be at list price.

My only question is what can we expect in availabilty of certain cars. I know one can't custom order a car when there is limited numbers being imported. It's not like going to the Ford dealer and ordering a Taurus and speciifying the color, options, etc. They will get a certain number of cars, with different colors and options and those get allocated to the dealers.

If I really want a certain color, I am wondering how difficult it will be to get it?

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 08:50 AM

Randy,

Whilst that's ok at the moment when nobody knows what the car is going to be ie power unit.

Also I guess it's not unreasonable for Lotus to say (initially) no Heritage editions etc but simply it's going to be "this" car, std package no options.

But surely it's not beyond a modern organisation to be able to say ok, you know know what the car is, here's a list of colours what do you want and for them to then handle the logistics of that.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Chase
My only question is what can we expect in availabilty of certain cars. I know one can't custom order a car when there is limited numbers being imported. It's not like going to the Ford dealer and ordering a Taurus and speciifying the color, options, etc. They will get a certain number of cars, with different colors and options and those get allocated to the dealers.

If I really want a certain color, I am wondering how difficult it will be to get it?
I spoke to a guy at Lotus USA back in January and that was one of the questions I asked him. He said they were going to decide on certain color combos (interior/exterior) and there would be fewer combinations than are available in the UK. Then within those color combos, dealers would be able to make requests.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 09:39 AM

Went through the process when I order a Infiniti G35C. Dealer allocation means those xx number of cars are to be built to his spec. If he uses one of his earliest number for you car, it'll be made earlier in the month (and more likely just what you want).

The Elise supposedly are going to be bulit fully loaded, so other then hardtops or a few odds & ends - not much to choose from. For the most part we're all so early on the list- worst case if everybody wanted the same color or certain options we'd get bump back a month.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 09:47 AM

"Fully loaded", as I understand it, means air conditioning and not much else. At least, that's what I've been told by the fellows at Lotus USA.

And that's the way that I feel it should be. Minimal weight = maximum fun ! More gadgets will ruin the direct experience with the road, will add weight and will make the car more complicated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in