How to replae or fix broken soft top cable - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

How to replae or fix broken soft top cable

Hey, the cable that runs through my soft top broke last night. It's broke right at the spot where is joins the crimper (that's my word). Is there a source somewhere that I can purchase new cables? Perhaps I can buy a new cable from the hardware store and rethread it but it looks tricky. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 AM

A suggestion for when you fix it. Move the tensioner to the passenger side. This way you can unlatch the roof from the driver side without eating the gasket under the soft top. The tensioner is on the wrong side for American cars.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxlotus View Post
Hey, the cable that runs through my soft top broke last night. It's broke right at the spot where is joins the crimper (that's my word). Is there a source somewhere that I can purchase new cables? Perhaps I can buy a new cable from the hardware store and rethread it but it looks tricky. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...
Been there, done that, and...

There are 2 designs for that cable. The early ones had a threaded tensioning fitting on one end and a fixed swagged fitting (that's the term for it) at the other. The later design has fixed fittings at both ends and the adjustment is in the middle.

If your cable broke at the threaded end I think you'd have a hard time making a DIY project of it. If the cable broke at the fixed end, you might be able to cobble something together.

Mine broke at the threaded end so I bought a new one from Lotus. I think it was around $70-80. There are different part #'s for the front and back cables.

Threading the cable through the sleeve could be tricky, but if you have the broken cable in place, you can connect it to the new one and pull it through.

Good luck.

'05 Elise #557, CO, Touring & Sport pack, both tops, B&M short shift, itg Maxogen intake, S111 harness bar, Schroth 4 point belts, S111 RTD brace, gPan3, oil temp and press gauges, clock, fire extinguisher, CF console, battery extender, S111 Lidbone, Bootie
'61 Land Rover Series II 109 3 door--sold
'66 TR-4A IRS--sold
'71 Porsche 914/4--sold

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:28 AM

My car had that problem when I bough the car. The part from Lotus is not that expensive if I remember correctly.

The fun part was when I ordered the cable, the parts guy got on the phone and was talking with Lotus to check on availability. The conversation was great. Sort of went:
"Yep, Ok, I see, Ok. Let me tell him." puts them on hold and tells me, "I can get the cable but.... Bob, who makes the cable at the factory, is at his nieces wedding. There will be a week delay on getting it"

I knew I was not driving a mass produced car at that point.

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Which side does everyone start and end from to prevent wear when putting the soft top on and off?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 AM

The first side put into the slots is the driver side, the passenger side is clicked into place second. This creates the least wear on the roof gasket. When removing, you unlatch the passenger side, then, once the tension is released, you undo the driver side. Obviously this works well when the driver side is the same as the American passenger side. The drivers in England can easilly pop in and out by simply undoing their side.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
The first side put into the slots is the driver side, the passenger side is clicked into place second. This creates the least wear on the roof gasket. When removing, you unlatch the passenger side, then, once the tension is released, you undo the driver side. Obviously this works well when the driver side is the same as the American passenger side. The drivers in England can easilly pop in and out by simply undoing their side.
Thanks. To be clear, when you refer to "driver side", this is for left hand drive cars, correct?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Thats the way I've always done it, just wanted to make sure.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM

I just took my soft too apart this morning to fix the liner. It was coming apart on the pasenger side. It was fairly easy to work on.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 11:58 AM

My rear cable broke and I ordered the replacement part. How the hell do you thread it through the "sleeve" it came out of? I tried a coat hanger and string. The sleeve is small and the new cable will not go through because of the adjuster and/or the connectors on the ends. I took it apart in the middle by the adjuster and still can't get it through. Ideas?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:04 PM
glb

This might help:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...ble-top-31340/

How I found the threads:

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:17 PM

Thanks. I will give that a shot. I tied some strong nylon string to the adjuster but there is simply no way to pull it through. It is very frustrating and I have to stop myself often to keep from breaking something!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in