How will you mod your S3? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

How will you mod your S3?

Once you finally have your hands on your Elise, how are you gonna modify it for your preferences?
Here's what I plan, but obviously not all immediately:

four point harnesses with cam lock

perhaps upgrade the stereo if the factory unit is weak

wider tires all around, something like 205 or 215 up front and 255 in the back

lowered, adjustable suspension

thicker anti roll bars

upgraded brakes for the track

upgraded freeflowing exhaust

limited slip differential if it doesn't come with one

supercharger or turbo charger if they're available

perhaps a rear wing like the one on the Exige

a front spoiler, if one is available
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:55 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
I might do the harness right away. Maybe not though. I think I will also install a fire extinguisher. It is a very helpless feeling to watch your car burn and you have no means of fighting it.

Next step is to get some aftermarket rims for racing and slap some racing tires on it. Probably fatter than stock.

Then I will take it on a track and see what I think. Understeer? Oversteer? Neutral?

Next would be alignment tweaks, but I don't expect to need to do much.

Aftermarket struts, adjustable racing ones.

After that depends on how SCCA classes the car and if I care enough to stay SCCA stock legal. If I do, I am limited to changing the cat-back exhaust and front swaybar. If not, I might look at some other options including front and rear swaybars, and power upgrades.

I plan on getting the hardtop. I don't plan on any other appearance mods early on. Well, maybe that stuff that protects against rick chips. And a car cover.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 02:05 PM

1)Clear Armor / Ston-gard
2) find a source for wheels, purchase a set of Kumhos 205/45-16 and 235/40-17 (maybe Hoosiers 215/40-16 and 245/40-17)
3) Commission a set of Penske DA shocks from A.R.E.
4) Check out the muffler, decide if weight can be saved by going custom
5)Decide if I need a stiffer front stabilizer bar.
6)Maybe a nice MP3 head unit and a good set of speakers if the stock stereo sucks.
7)Fuzzy dice (just kidding)

2005 S2000 #42as

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 02:28 PM

* Factory or gullwing hardtop
* Clear bra

A few years down the line I may start playing around with wheel/ tires, suspension, muffler setup. By that time I'll get to know the car fairly well. Stuff I didn't adjust to well or want to improve on, would be what I'd go after. It'll also let the after market mature.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 03:26 PM

I'm planning on ordering the car with the factory hardtop. Other than that, probably not many real mod.s, aside from:

Add a fire extinguisher (many in England mount theirs above/forward of the passenger footrest)

4-point harnesses

At some point, depending on the standard exhaust, may have to go with an aftermarket or a Lotus "sport" exhaust.

Also down the road, and probably around the same time as any exhaust mods it may make sense to enhance the intake with a higher-flow air filter.

As far as tire changes, will have to see what we get, I guess some in England really like the Yokohama Advans tires as an upgrade.

Covered in Brandy and Lard
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 09:02 PM
insert clever title here

- hardtop
- car cover
- bra (maybe that Armourfend covering instead)
- new speakers
- cupholder
- barf bag for passenger
- new alarm

Depending on how it sounds stock, I might open up the intake and exhaust a bit, but that'll probably be about it for the mods. I doubt the car'll need much...I'll be focusing instead on doing track days to improve my driving skills!

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 07:31 AM

I seem to be under the Randy Chase school of thought.

Initially, a set of aftermarket wheels shod with race tires, a fire extinguisher and a hardtop.

oh yeah.... and a license plate frame that says "Caution, Frequently Sideways" like my Z has....

Jose Soriano
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:04 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Amahoser
I seem to be under the Randy Chase school of thought.
Cool. The Forum Hypnosis Hack is working.

Quote:

Initially, a set of aftermarket wheels shod with race tires, a fire extinguisher and a hardtop.

oh yeah.... and a license plate frame that says "Caution, Frequently Sideways" like my Z has....

Jose Soriano
I want to transfer my plates that say SPINS, because I think I will.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

I believe I will also paint the rear diffuser flat black (like a Modena's) and the brake calipers bright red. Should look good on Storm Titanium.

Now the question remains, should I tint the windows? And if so, tint them black or slightly reflective to match the Titanium?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:31 AM

Garage
Agreed on the fire extenguisher....speaking of which, does the Elise have Lucas electronics?

I think a nice set of CCW race wheels wrapped with some Hoosiers and depending on the suspension....revalved koni's or if they come with bilstiens I may just have tru choice or someone revalve them. Brake pads may have to go if I dont like them...replace with Porterfields.

CAI or a Pflow if available, if not that, at least the standard K&N.

After that I dont know.. and to be honest Im going to enjoy the warranty on this car and not race it until Im able as much as it kills me.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 10:08 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mopalak

Now the question remains, should I tint the windows? And if so, tint them black or slightly reflective to match the Titanium?
I think a slight tint would look nice. I have a dark tint on my Mercedes, and though it looks great (all blacked out car) from the outside, it really is a bad idea for driving. I lose too much ease of seeing people. At night, I have to roll down my windows to make sure I am not backing into people.

But, I doubt I would tint my silver Elise, at least not at first. The main reason for a tint would be for UV protection, and I intend on keeping it indoors or covered.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 06:52 AM
BR1

In order of pref, as per my S1

1. sports exhaust - order it with the car.
2. induction kit
3. sports suspension

If you do too much with the look of the car in the UK you are seen as a bit of an idiot - kinda what the kids do to their mod-ed saloons. The elise is all about driving.

ps have you guys in the US seen: www.eliseparts.com
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 10:00 AM

Garage
Trophy wife! Elise arrives in 10 months. Now accepting applications for trophy wife. Photos required. Must be limber an light weight.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:58 PM

For those of you thinking of replacing the standard width tyres, you better think about getting some of the suspension hardware upgraded.

Rear toe-links on the rear suspension needs upgrading if you run the car with more grip than the factory designed in. IMHO you'd mess up the car's balance if you go past 195 fronts and 225 rears. More is not better in this case!

Craigy
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:50 AM

The 195 + 225 A048 tires on the 135R Elise have far more grip than any street tire you could name, no matter what size. The Kumho and Hoosier tires that Randy and I referred to are in a comparable category to the A048s. The difference in width we're talking about (1cm) is peanuts compared to the difference in grip due to the type of tire. The primary reason for the sizes I suggested is availability. Those models are not available in the 195 or 225 widths in the correct diameter.

I drive a Miata with the same tires, and my suspension seems an order of magnitude softer than the Elise I drove at the dealer. Even so, I'm quite pleased with how the car works with these tires.

What is the issue with the rear toe link? Does it break? Flex? Cause undesirable geometry at large displacements? Unfortunately, that isn't something that can be modified in SCCA Stock class, and maybe not even in Street Prepared class.

2005 S2000 #42as
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I want larger width tires, mostly on the front, to eliminate the cursed understeer that the factory built into the S2. Plus, wider tires all around with a slight drop just plain looks cool, IMHO.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in